Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #24761
kaymccampbell

Default Re: What did you do "IN" your garage today?

Dragged the pressure washer out n in to clean the deck. Started making jigs n fixtures and arranging what and how I need to do pens. Got 15 pens done.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #24762
DGersic

Cut all of the pieces I need to make a new frame to put under the ancient concrete utility sink in the basement. I think this will be easier than removing and replacing that monster. Plus it uses up a bunch of leftover steel I'd have had to find a place to store, and some old pinball legs I don't need but hated to throw away, and gives me a chance to practice my welding.

Removed the oil pan on my hot rod a second time, and replaced the leaking gasket. It wasn't leaking before I removed it the first time (fuel pump failed), and is supposed to be reusable, but was leaking slightly at the front.

Cut and welded a MIG torch holder, based on a design I found on YouTube. More scrap being used up. Need to clean it up and paint it still. Maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DGersic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #24763
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGersic View Post
Cut all of the pieces I need to make a new frame to put under the ancient concrete utility sink in the basement. I think this will be easier than removing and replacing that monster. Plus it uses up a bunch of leftover steel I'd have had to find a place to store, and some old pinball legs I don't need but hated to throw away, and gives me a chance to practice my welding.

Removed the oil pan on my hot rod a second time, and replaced the leaking gasket. It wasn't leaking before I removed it the first time (fuel pump failed), and is supposed to be reusable, but was leaking slightly at the front.

Cut and welded a MIG torch holder, based on a design I found on YouTube. More scrap being used up. Need to clean it up and paint it still. Maybe tomorrow.

Pics on these two?

Outlaw's Camp Gear Thread
Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback
"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #24764
619DioFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymccampbell View Post
Dragged the pressure washer out n in to clean the deck. Started making jigs n fixtures and arranging what and how I need to do pens. Got 15 pens done.
are you making pens to put animals in or pens for writing ?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #24765
Pathfinders

I was called in last night at midnight, so now I am in the garage with the dog and having a beer. It was a long 10 hours.
Pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #24766
EOC_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
Too hot to do anything fun today...
+1.... I had to swap t-shirts this morning after being drenched in sweat after working outside for maybe 30 minutes... Heat & humidity are just stupid right now...
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #24767
Outlawmws

I've had to do a lot of the Tee shirt changing this summer too, especially with a lot of heavy yard work this summer so far... Luckily we usually don't get as much of the humidity.

We are supposed to be 10 deg cooler today, then comfort zone temps the after that slowly edging back up by weekend...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #24768
bmxdad

Sunday I put on new front rotors, pads, and did an oil/filter change on the daughter-in laws 2004 Impala. Finished building the greenhouse for the wife, then took a nice soak in the hot tub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170716_122853.jpg (139.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170716_133628.jpg (139.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170707_202016.jpg (153.6 KB, 80 views)
bmxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #24769
d.mcfarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdad View Post
Sunday I put on new front rotors, pads, and did an oil/filter change on the daughter-in laws 2004 Impala. Finished building the greenhouse for the wife, then took a nice soak in the hot tub.
Should get the coated rotors and see how you like them. They are a few dollars more each but I have had much better luck with them.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #24770
TractorJeff

Saturday morning, I changed the alternator in a neighbors CAT 247B Multi Terrain Loader. Then worked on putting the cylinder block and pistons back in the 1947 John Deere B after plasti-gauging the connecting rod bearings.
Sunday morning I got called to bring a skidsteer down to another neighbor's house to repair storm damage from the 7 to 8 inches of rain earlier this week. Then went home and worked some more on the John Deere B.
TractorJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #24771
kaymccampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619DioFan View Post
are you making pens to put animals in or pens for writing ?
For writing. Wooden pens.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #24772
DGersic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawmws View Post
Pics on these two?

The torch holder is nothing special. Just a right angle with a U in the end, and a big Harbor Freight magnet it'll be bolted to.

The design I borrowed it from had another piece, but after getting this far I couldn't see how the other piece was going to do anything, so I didn't bother with it.

The sink project, though. Here's the sink:

The metal support frame is 1/16" x 1/2" steel. The rear two legs have rusted away and no longer reach the floor. The front two and the drain pipe are holding it up.

The top of the new frame is 1/8" x 2", left over from fixing the garage door last year. Four pieces, cut to be slightly smaller than the sink bottom, and to use up the leftover piece:

These will be welded in to a U shape (front and two sides).

I have a stack of old pinball machine legs, like this one:

I cut down four of them to 1" less than the sink to floor distance:

They'll be welded to the top frame, and braced with some 1/8" x 3/4" that was leftover from something else:

I'm going to support the sink on wood cribbing, cut the old frame out, slide the new frame in, then the rear of the frame and its two braces will be bolted in place, because I don't want to weld in the house.

I'll install some new pinball machine feet in the legs before installing the assembly under the sink. They hold up several hundred pounds of pinball machine, they should be fine for a couple hundred pounds of concrete sink, and that'll allow me to adjust the final height in place, so the leg length measurements aren't critical.

DGersic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #24773
kaymccampbell

Made a star shaped tip for the wood burner. The ones I could buy are way too big. This is about 1/8" across. Bit of a challenge, freehanding in copper with a 3/64" carbide burr.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #24774

I didn't do anything in my garage, but I did help a neighbor whose hot water tank split flooding his garage. He was at work and the 40 gal tank must have leaked for 7 or 8 hours. We got most of his stuff out and into the dry. He will lose some books and papers, maybe some small electronic items stored near the floor.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #24775
exranger06

I used my new smoke machine to pinpoint where the exhaust leaks are on my car, and also used it to verify I don't have any intake/vacuum leaks.
exranger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #24776
isb cornbinder

At this time. it looks like I will be keeping my $200 Myford Super 7 lathe. This 7 is a few years older than the Super 7 I bought about 35 years ago. This lathe, at first look, may show less wear than my other Myford.
For the few dollars I have in this second Myford Super 7 and I can justify having a second lather set up for a second job.
My short term plan is to build an adjustable height stand with a removable chip pan, for this second lathe. I will be using a scissor jack from a Ford F350 for the height adjustment. This scissor jack has a gear reduction on the drive so it will take less effort to adjust the stand height.
I have taken most of this second lathe apart for deep cleaning. OMG every space is jammed with wood dust and metal chips. What a mess.
The good news is the all of chucks have all cleaned up and look close to newish. I will start to polish the collets at a later date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MYFORD BERNERD 3 JAW.jpg (63.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg MYFORD BERNERD 4 JAW 7 INCH.jpg (71.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg MYFORD COLLET CHUCK.jpg (72.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg MYFORD PARTS SOAKING.jpg (67.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #24777
Craptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by isb cornbinder View Post
At this time. it looks like I will be keeping my $200 Myford Super 7 lathe. This 7 is a few years older than the Super 7 I bought about 35 years ago. This lathe, at first look, may show less wear than my other Myford.
For the few dollars I have in this second Myford Super 7 and I can justify having a second lather set up for a second job.
My short term plan is to build an adjustable height stand with a removable chip pan, for this second lathe. I will be using a scissor jack from a Ford F350 for the height adjustment. This scissor jack has a gear reduction on the drive so it will take less effort to adjust the stand height.
I have taken most of this second lathe apart for deep cleaning. OMG every space is jammed with wood dust and metal chips. What a mess.
The good news is the all of chucks have all cleaned up and look close to newish. I will start to polish the collets at a later date.
I am truly envious of your Myford's. They were the first lathes I used back when I started work. My 10" Atlas is quite similar, but I believe that your Myford is more accurate and overall a better machine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

WWW.TheCaptainCanDoIt.com
Craptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #24778
kaymccampbell

Measured a grinding wheel for replacement. Ordered a new one online, cause no one within 50 miles carries anything useful anymore.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #24779
loudandeep

good morning everyone, and i am new to this member. i am going to start budget to set up motorcycle garage. i have lot of my mind create custom for motorcycle.. any suggestion
loudandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #24780
Outlawmws

Yesterday I worked on the Deer/wood hauler a bit, got the kids bike disassembled and cut up, ready to splice on the front fork yoke, and got the main tongue U-bolted on...

Today I:

Hauled a lot of junk to the curb for a "bulky waste PU Day"

Saddle soaped and applied new "Snow Proof" two two pairs of boots, (one pair is 35+ years old! the other pair maybe 30... this stuff works...)

Watched one guy stop, see I was looking and he asked if he could have the two old clapped out 8" trailer tires and rims from the pile. Hope he ain't going far...

Re-glued some trim on the workbench cabinet.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale