Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #21
pepi

Default Re: Attention GJers-Check your Photobucket accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeske View Post
If I post a picture on forums I always just posted direct from computer to the form and post I am doing. Just way easier for my simple mind to post it then to do url and jump thru more hoops. I have never used photobucket and as I paid a lot of money for the computer I have and I do have everything on my computer backed up in 3 ways.

Very smart and logical, keeping ones own data and backed up. A sure way to never lose your data...

It pays to be self reliant ...

Greg

Best viewed loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI
pepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #22
hobie1dog

Ads are taking over Photobucket for sure. It would be a sad day when I lose all those pics

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe- nowhere else could things be this screwed up.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #23
jeremy v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
This is the very reason I have always posted my pictures directly to the website.
That doesn't work perfectly either. I have always directly uploaded my pics to GJ, because I had the same feeling about that being the safest way to do it. I also did it that way because it helps out people with slow internet connections or people that have to pay for their bandwidth usage, because they only see thumbnail images for my pics unless they decide to click and see the full versions. However, if I look back on my past posts many of the pictures I uploaded to GJ are now gone. I often keep a casual eye on pictures that I upload for important threads and they are sometimes deleted within 2 months of being uploaded. Other times they stay for multiple years. Some of my most important uploads are now gone, while other funny pictures etc. that I have posted in Free Parking section still exist, so the deletions don't seem to be based on importance.

Last edited by jeremy v; 06-30-2017 at 09:22 PM.
jeremy v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
brittf
Alliance Member

I read about the change in Photobucket's terms of use on another forum. I checked my Photobucket account and the pictures I have linked to on this site and everything appears to be intact. I've been paying Photobucket an annual fee to avoid the advertisements. I just made a payment in March 2017 for another year. I wonder if they will be honoring that and the need to pay $399 for the same service is delayed for the time being? We'll see.

Britt
brittf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #25
NewShockerGuy

This isn't anything new. I used to post to photobucket and then link the pictures on forums. That was fine in the beginning but then they started implementing a bandwidth limit on said images/groups. So if you linked the image on multiple forums and it got a ton of hits you'd hit your cap super quick.

I post most of my pictures on the actual forum attach feature. I prefer this method as the majority of forums require people to be members to view the photos and for the most part the photos shouldn't go anywhere. More importantly my work firewall doesn't block the photos but if they are hosted by a 3rd party service they normally are.

Photobucket blows though. When I got in to move all my photos out of it, the amount of adds that pop up is nothing short of amazing to me. It's almost like they got hit by all this malware/spyware that keeps posting up ads and windows....etc.

-Nigel

-.¸¸.·°¯°·.¸¸.-> ~ NSG ~ <-.¸¸.·°¯°·.¸¸.-
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #26
Loscaldazar

Any alternatives to photo bucket? Uploading the images to the forum is tedious when you sometimes use the same photos on 3 or 4 different forums. Plus, it puts all the photos at the end, which makes many write ups useless (helpful to have the photo right below the text that describes it).
Loscaldazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #27
MesaAZguy

So for those not affected by Photobucket, you will. As of now, they have a 2GB limit and after you reach that, your pics will get locked out of the 3rd party hosting. You won't lose your pictures on their site just on the forums. Also, if you are a paying member of their old policy of $4.99 or there-as, you will still be able to see your pics on the forums until they figure out a way to get you to comply with spending the $399 on their new TOS. Its only a matter of time.
I deleted my account and left them a reason for doing so. My heart goes out to all the really great threads that were so well documented. I am more pissed from the amount of time I recently spent on my house renovation thread. I know it had alot of readers and I feel I let them down. That said, I don't think I will resurrect those threads and I will most likely just fade away for now. Really bummed out. Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #28
Loscaldazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaAZguy View Post
So for those not affected by Photobucket, you will. As of now, they have a 2GB limit and after you reach that, your pics will get locked out of the 3rd party hosting. You won't lose your pictures on their site just on the forums. Also, if you are a paying member of their old policy of $4.99 or there-as, you will still be able to see your pics on the forums until they figure out a way to get you to comply with spending the $399 on their new TOS. Its only a matter of time.
I deleted my account and left them a reason for doing so. My heart goes out to all the really great threads that were so well documented. I am more pissed from the amount of time I recently spent on my house renovation thread. I know it had alot of readers and I feel I let them down. That said, I don't think I will resurrect those threads and I will most likely just fade away for now. Really bummed out. Sorry for the rant.
They don't allow ANY 3rd party hosting unless you pay the $399. Doesn't matter if you are above or below the 2gb limit, 3rd party hosting is a no go.
Loscaldazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #29
MesaAZguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscaldazar View Post
They don't allow ANY 3rd party hosting unless you pay the $399. Doesn't matter if you are above or below the 2gb limit, 3rd party hosting is a no go.
That is correct. But for those whose accounts still work while paying 4.99 a month, its on borrowed time until the new TOS kicks in. I read on their site that under 2gb was fine before I deleted.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #30
BoilermakerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaAZguy View Post
How did you delete your account? I deleted all of my pictures about a week ago, but couldn't find where to delete the actual account. I don't pb being able to use my headcount with potential advertisers, I want pb to see their account member numbers drop like a politicians approval rating.

1972 CB350
1977 CB550
1981 CX500
1981 CB650
1981 GL1100
1982 KZ440
1980 KZ650
1982 XV750/920

Please vote on a color scheme for a Kawasaki KZ650, thanks.

Killing Time, until we can move to a new house: My low budget upgrades to a small 2 car detached garage

Custom Honda GL1100 Build Thread:
BoilermakerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #31
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts210 View Post
I use PBase.com I've used them for many years. It costs $25 a year, but there is no B.S.

Here's a quick example of a picture I've posted here before:

That Snap On vise doesn't go with those pants.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2 View Post
Without tools and stuff to fix, my life would be boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Celtic View Post
Tools are cool.. being able to use them is cooler.. being able to use them in front of someone who has no idea and ends up in awe is priceless..

Guess it boils down to them and us.. I like being us..:thumbup:
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #32
cajunfirehawk

Exclamation Re: Attention GJers-Check your Photobucket accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
So glad I gave up on them a year or so ago. Flickr has been working fine for me, a lot faster load times too.
Ditto

My 30x40 Shop M.A.G.A. Shop photos ver 2.0
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #33
FullRaceMerc

Supermotors.net

Free pic hosting with watermark on 3rd party hosted pics.

$12.99 a year with no watermark.

Not mine. Just a cool truck.

Last edited by FullRaceMerc; 07-01-2017 at 09:50 AM.
FullRaceMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #34
rayra

3700 images, 13 years of how to and hobby forum discussions, remodeling and house flipping, model and replica prop building, firearms forums, politics, vehicle mechanics and upgrades. All badly damaged in one day, with almost no notice and a highway robbery demand for $400 to make them available again.

Spent two hours today pulling down 70 model-making images, stripping photobucket's gibberish file name alterations, to upload them to IMGUR, only to find out IMGUR completely renames the files - not even a suffix like photobucket used - totally encumbering the process of re-editing a discussion topic with no image links. I had to read the old photo ref in the topic post, find the image on my own PC folder, scroll through the INGUR album to find the matching image then paste its name inthe topic. Took me two hours to unscrew one topic -
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/...98684#p1698684

I have a bunch of vehicle-related topics at expeditionportal that will have to be patched in a similar manner. But I'm going to look for some other hosting that will allow me to keep my file names. Otherwise it is entirely too cumbersome to replace the images.

13 years of efforts, squandered.

Had photobucket long ago got some worthwhile technicians and charged a couple bucks a month, they'd have had all the revenue they could wish for. They boast of 15 billion images and 200 million users.

I hope they're ruined by this. Their site was bogged all day, once the blockage effects were noticed. Presumably by swarms of people trying to recoup their imagery.

The lame part is if only 1.5% of their user base pays the ransom, they'll gross a billion dollars and call it a huge win. I've never witnessed a more obscene abuse of a customer base.

/except maybe cigarette smokers
rayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #35
MikeF2316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscaldazar View Post
Any alternatives to photo bucket? Uploading the images to the forum is tedious when you sometimes use the same photos on 3 or 4 different forums. Plus, it puts all the photos at the end, which makes many write ups useless (helpful to have the photo right below the text that describes it).
You can put a link to your photo in your text, that's what I always do. See this post.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...15#post6154515

If you have one foot in a bucket of boiling water and the other in a block of ice at -40°, on average you're comfortable!
MikeF2316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #36
MikeF2316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy v View Post
That doesn't work perfectly either. I have always directly uploaded my pics to GJ, because I had the same feeling about that being the safest way to do it. I also did it that way because it helps out people with slow internet connections or people that have to pay for their bandwidth usage, because they only see thumbnail images for my pics unless they decide to click and see the full versions. However, if I look back on my past posts many of the pictures I uploaded to GJ are now gone. I often keep a casual eye on pictures that I upload for important threads and they are sometimes deleted within 2 months of being uploaded. Other times they stay for multiple years. Some of my most important uploads are now gone, while other funny pictures etc. that I have posted in Free Parking section still exist, so the deletions don't seem to be based on importance.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I even sent a PM to the mods about that, didn't get a reply. Ironically, one of the sets of pics that were deleted was in the thread referenced above.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...24#post5357224

If you have one foot in a bucket of boiling water and the other in a block of ice at -40°, on average you're comfortable!
MikeF2316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #37
LS6 Tommy

I'm only at 11% of my free storage, but I figured get them pics out since it's been such a pain in the ass to use now with all the ads. No dice. Won't download at all. It just "clocks". The sight must be overwhelmed with pissed off users pulling their data out.

Tommy
Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #38
Rikki Sixx

Same with me. Can't get into my account and I'm only at 4%. Sure will hate to loose those pics. At this age and point in my life I sooo don't want to have to be learning new stuff. But as they say, "the Dude abides."
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #39
LS6 Tommy

OK, I got the stuff out of my main bucket, but they only give you a zipfile. Extracting the files only gives you the size they had on their site, not the original you uploaded. That's not a big deal to me. If my stuff gets held hostage, I'll just use the files I downloaded to find full size versions and post from a new host. It will suck to have to lose old posted images, but that's life I guess...

Tommy

Last edited by LS6 Tommy; 07-01-2017 at 09:59 AM.
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #40
LS6 Tommy

Well, now Photobucket is dysfunctional again. It just freezes when I try to download my other libraries. I have all the originals, but it would be nice to keep the files separated for future posting...

Tommy