Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
edcantu9

Default Painting room with graco paint sprayer

I am thinking about using a graco paint sprayer system to paint room and ceilings in home. Anyone use these? What was your take on it?

I watched some youtube videos, there is no overspray? They make it look so easy. Better than messing around with a rolls and trays.
edcantu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
plumbing101mike

Default Re: Painting room with graco paint sprayer

They work great. Turn your pressure down, use the sprayer to put it on, then roll it to finish.
There is always a little overstay. Technique can reduce it to bare minimum, but as a beginner, be very cautious and have a damp sponge and dry towels available to clean if/when needed.
Mask off obvious problem areas.
Stay a ways away with the sprayer and pull the paint in to the cut in with your roller or brush.
Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
plumbing101mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
jdsac

If all you are doing is a room or two and you don't forsee using the sprayer much, you can hire it done for what the sprayer would cost. There is no such thing as a sprayer with no overspray, some have more than others depending on the type. Unless you have a room with extremely high ceilings it's not worth it for just one room.
jdsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
sberry

Very fast, agree, some masking needed.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
evildky

I own/manage rental homes. I have a graco sprayer, I seldom use. It's great for painting everything all at once one color and no back rolling is not necessary. It does make a huge mess. I seldom use it because these days we tend to do more colors and the amount of time spent masking and suiting up plus the amount of time needed to clean and pack up it's just as fast to roll and cut the room by hand.
evildky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Kaizen

I have one and wouldn't use it inside. I got mine to spray a fence and other outdoor stuff. Cleanup takes time. Just use a quality roller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
Milton Shaw

One big caution with an airless sprayer. DON'T TRY TO CLEAN THE NOZZLE IF IT CLOGGS WITH YOUR FINGER. IT WILL INJECT PAINT UNDER YOUR SKIN.. Compressed air guns you could always clear a clog by briefly putting your finger over the air cap (nozzle) and blow the clog back into the cup. With airless at 2000 psi that just injected a cup of paint into your system. Those sprayers come new with warning card to go in your wallet in case it has happened and EMT's cannot figure out what is wrong.

Other than that is is the fastest way to paint but you still need to mask and use a spray shield to control the paint. Most of the smaller ones are rated at about a quart of paint a minute so you need to move fast.
Milton Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
dfiler2

I have one and love it, for outside, I can't imagine using it inside.
dfiler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Marctrees

No Overspray ??

"Airless" or not, I don't care.

That was SOOOOO funny, it caused me to have a VERY loose BM in my chair.

OK, back now........

I dunno, few years ago I bought a Graco for about $600, one that has a frame that sits on the floor, sucks out of a 1 - 5 gal bucket, ..... for a couple room new sheetrock job.

Figured I'd have it for future use also.

Not afraid to buy new tools if it makes sense.

At $600, not top of line, but in the pretty decent quality range.

Latex interior "Primer" first, then Paint.

I found 2 things not good.... Had to mask EVERYTHINGGGGGG.....EVERY square inch in the room I did not want paint on..including ME, the Wife and all the Dogs, and the Neighbor's Dogs, and the Neighbor's Neighbor's Dogs, and, used WAY more matl than rolling it on.

After I spent 30 minutes soaking and scrubbing my Glasses ( will never be quite the same) ...... Sold it.

Now ..... if you STILL first masked EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING in the room, then sprayed some, (LESS matl than I had to) and spread out evenly by backrolling manually, THEN it may make sense to me.

Instead of dipping that roller every 30 seconds to pick up matl.

But again, the masking took a LONGGG time.

And ya, I know how to run a spraygun, or rattlecan for that matter QUITE well.

Not for Show Cars, but most stuff pretty good.

Just my experience maybe I did something wrong, but I don't think so.

And don't tell me all I had to do was keep the Dogs out.... It was a way of explaining the TOTAL masking needed. Marc

Last edited by Marctrees; 07-14-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Marctrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
DGersic

I bought one to paint the inside of my garage once. I had the week off from work, which I had thought would be plenty of time to paint the ceiling and walls of a 15x25 garage. Was going to just roller it. The weather had other ideas, we had a major heat wave that week, where it was 100+ by 10am.

I spent a day taping everything I didn't want painted. I assumed an airless sprayer would make some overspray. Got up real early, got dressed in some old clothes, poured a pint of paint in the cup, pulled the trigger, and *brapp*, the cup was empty in a few seconds. And there was paint everywhere. On the wall (good!), but also on the floor, me, and everywhere else.

I added a hat and respirator to my ensemble. Helped somewhat.

I repeated the cup thing a couple of times before deciding that it was stupid. I upgraded to the five gallon bucket and feed hose. Now, brrraaaaaaaappppp! And in a very few minutes, the garage was painted. So was I.

I then spent the rest of the day, after a shower to get the paint off of me, in the basement cleaning the gun. I figure it took all day to paint the garage, but only 15-30 minutes of that was actually painting.

I sold the gun on eBay, because there's no way I'd ever use it again, and certainly not indoors.

So then a couple of years ago, dad is cleaning out his garage and unloading stuff he doesn't need anymore, and drops off an airless paint sprayer he's had for years, only used it once...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DGersic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
Boomer343

I have a one gallon Wagner Unit that I have used to spray inside and outside. I always back brush the fence or house siding.
I back roll the interior walls if it is a full on reno so there is less to cover up or mask. Helps if two people are working together. I wouldn't use it for a repaint with furniture in the room.

Last year I had a gallon of fence stain that we had purchased and decided to go with a different color so I shot it inside a 3x8 shed. Tight quarters and I didn't need a shower or change of clothes afterwards.

I did upgrade the hose and spray head to a better unit as the original one was designed so you had to pull against the full line pressure and it was a challenge after awhile.
Boomer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
DCarr2

The inside of my house is dark wood paneling, and pop corn ceilings. Prior to moving in I bought a graco 390 airless sprayer... 30 gallons of oil primer, 2 charcoal masks, 2 boxes of plastic and 6 rolls of blue tape.

It took, 80% of my drop cloths off my truck, all the tape, 1/2 the plastic, and 3 days to prep to spray my 3200 sq ft house. and i STILL got overspray on stuff!

It took 4 hours to spray every ceiling, wall and closet in the whole house. and 18 gallons of oil.

I think I used the 515 tip.

I then went back and sprayed latex on all the ceilings.

It then took another 7 days to paint all the walls and trim. Spraying is A LOT faster, how ever the prep time takes time.

I sprayed 50 gallons of paint, moisture barrier paint by SW and MasterHide latex enamel semi gloss in my pole barn (18' wall height, 1650sq ft)

I did that over a 2 day period, only had to cover my new concrete floor, as it was too cold to paint prior to putting in the floor.

If its 2 rooms, go over to Sherwin Williams, and buy the stuff you need, skip the sprayer. I own my own residential painting company, and the last time I used my sprayer was on my own house. a year and half ago.

airless sprayers are dangerous, they run at 2,000+ PSI the speed at which the paint comes out the nozzle is fast enough to rip a hole in your body, through your pants. Its not a toy. you can get seriously hurt.

I would want to look at that before you start filling the hole as you need to be sure the concrete will be contained, ie, "Hey, I've put 27 yards of concrete in this hole and it still ain't full!"
DCarr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #13
yhprum

I found the masking cleanup took longer that the actual painting. Now I use a wagner smart roller that holds the paint in the handle and can do a room in no time. They are a bit of a pain to clean but still way better for me.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
wasfuzz

If you do spray make sure you filter your paint! Filter to run your paint thru is cheap and I have found lumps in even the best paint even after mixing/stirring. A glob of paint will ruin you day if it plugs your gun in the middle of a job. I also never spray without using a spray additive - like Flotrol (http://www.flood.com/products/paint-...paint-additive), it does not thin the paint but allows the paint to spray better.
wasfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Fishplate

3000 square feet of popcorn ceilings. A day and a half of masking, and 3 hours of spraying and the job is done. Much faster than rolling (even though that ceiling couldn't be rolled, even if I wanted to...)

I got the sprayer for free, so it was well worth it. I've since used it outdoors, and never seen the need to backroll - the paint is all over the surface in a nice even coat, what is backrolling going to accomplish?
Fishplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #16
C_F
Don't follow me, I'm lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishplate View Post
3000 square feet of popcorn ceilings. A day and a half of masking, and 3 hours of spraying and the job is done. Much faster than rolling (even though that ceiling couldn't be rolled, even if I wanted to...)

I got the sprayer for free, so it was well worth it. I've since used it outdoors, and never seen the need to backroll - the paint is all over the surface in a nice even coat, what is backrolling going to accomplish?
It's been my experience that with spraying, you get some spots thicker than others, plus some lines in the overlap. Backrolling evens all that out. I dunno, maybe I haven't gotten good enough yet, to not need to backroll.
C_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #17
rburke65

Just edge ne roll the room. Less time....IMO.
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #18
86turbodsl

I typically spray with my graco 390, as long as the whole room needs it, but i've gotten cleaning down to a very quick science. I like how the sprayer gets even coverage and just backroll after. It makes more sense as your painting area increases.

My 40x64x14 Pole barn build / renovation thread
86turbodsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #19
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer343 View Post
I have a one gallon Wagner Unit that I have used to spray inside and outside.
I have one of the inexpensive Wagner sprayers as well. People criticize them all the time, but I found it works well to get a lot of paint on the wall in a pretty short time. You do need to back brush to get the paint looking good but it can save you a lot of time. There is a little overspray but it's not all that bad if you're careful.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
ForceFed70

I own one.

My experience:
- There is overspray.
- Cleanup of the equipment is a PITA - lots of wasted paint, significant time needed.
- Masking is time consuming and you're better off to just use a brush to "cut in" in many cases.

Overall, I've found the airless sprayer works great for large projects - painting a whole house (especially prior to installing flooring/moldings) , painting the whole exterior of a house, painting a fence, etc. But for smaller projects like painting a room or two you're better off with the traditional brush and roller.
ForceFed70 is online now   Reply With Quote