Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
adamant118

Default Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

I see a bunch of cameras all over place for sale. The big box stores have kits, Harbor Freight has a system but I am looking for something that will give me longevity. I know it's hard out there to find something that gives you longevity because even in the past when I bought the best it lasted at least. What are your guys experience with installing your own security cameras? What route did you go? Did you go the route where you bought the 4 camera kit at Harbor Freight or camera kit that you got from the big box stores or did you do like the camera people do- by each individual piece? Thank you Anthony

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
adamant118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Gittgo

Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

I run the Nest watherproof around the shop and a cheaper thing called Nexxt around the house since they are not hurricane proof and feed a recorder. The Nest services are overpriced but so are the tools they overlook.Good quality, mic zoom, good infrered. Amazon has the stuff and I'm sure some box stores do too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlNiUOiF1ZA
Gittgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
MikeYC

I built my own system from www.securitycameraking.com 2tb dvr networked and 8 2mp came under 300.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
"It's possible the Navy could operate without its officers, but there is NO WAY IN HELL it could operate without its CHIEFS." Tom Clancy, U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II magazine, "Polaris" (Vol. 52, No. 6, December 2008, page 3)
MikeYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
pentavolvo

eBay 8 cameras and 1tb recorder for 200 and very happy
pentavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Kaizen

two kinds of cameras. old style use 2 plug in wires like a stereo. You use a dvr with those. cheap but will work.
Newer kind use cat5 or 6 cable and you can run it like you would any electrical wire. adding jacks at the ends sucks imo but you use a NVR and have better cameras. I have a nvr for up to 16 cameras and a 4tb drive. I have 4 running now and it holds about a month of video. I have hikavision and dahau cameras....not sure on spelling.
You get way better video with these. Cover a wider angle and you have more options. As far as longevity since you have the cat6 there you could upgrade to any new tech that comes out. I think my cams were 100 or so each. Oh you'll need to use POV routers too. I actually have both kinds of systems running right now as I am converting. Here are 2 different angles of the same street. Both cameras were 130 dollar cameras when I bought them. The one with the bad picture is about 6 years old and probably a little dirty. The other is a hikavision and about 3 years old. I have these too high and need to be brought down to get a better angle.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
glider

I run the hikavision also. Run 4 now and going to 6. Was a do it yourself with a lot a wires to run. wouldn't waist my time with the wireless. They just seem hit or miss.
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
VintageOkieDriver

They can be found at Custco as well. My son bought a very good system about a year ago
VintageOkieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
duncman

If you are not scared of computer you should look into https://zoneminder.com/

Its a free open source app that you can run on some old hardware. Mine is running in an old core2duo with 4GB of RAM. I only have 2 cameras running off of it, but it works really good. Zoneminder is basically an enterprise level software that is out there for free, but you have to install and configure it yourself. Its not all that hard and there is a lot of documentation on it.

I purchased 2 cheap POE cameras off of Amazon (http://a.co/cV4qVk0) and I had the computer laying around. I plan on upgrading the cameras in the future, but all in all I am at less then $100 for what most people pay $500+ for.
duncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Lazurus
Banned

Arlo or Blink are easy to do.
No wires either.
Lazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
OH_Varmntr

We purchased an Amcrest system with four 1080P HD cameras and a 2TB hard drive that records all 4 cameras 24/7 for 15 days before recording over anything. It's a hardwired system.

The software included is fairly simple for setting up the motion detection and it flat works. The infrared is superb and is claimed to go out to 65ft but I'd say it's more than that.

We looked at the 720 HD cameras and such but the comparisons between 720 and 1080 allows us to see license plates further out and since we live in country we wanted the extended clarity.

The system we bought can be networked so we can login remotely but we decided not to do so for security reasons. It also has an output that can run parallel to a hard drive that's remotely stored in a safe or somewhere else.

We had $370 in it on Amazon.
OH_Varmntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
tarmy

Look into Sharx...great products...and excellent support.

They are a bit pricey...but I have had great luck with them in a harsh environment outdoors...
Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
junkyardwarrior

Out here I use a pair of trail camera's. Takes good pics every time I walk out to the shop; and I got the neighbor guy on camera a while back too, I thought he was snooping around but he found my barn cat and returned & fed it. Good guy to do that. I know many who'd just shoot it and never say a word. They alert me when a picture is taken. I forget what brand/model they are, as they were here when I moved in; previous owner never used them and just left 'em here. All I did was put 'em up and hide them as best I could. One's in a tree next to the house, about 10' up, and the other's mounted on the front of the shop facing the doors and driveway.
junkyardwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
tuip

I have a few of the chinese hikavision cameras in the garage that are hardwired. I used CAT6 and PoE to power them. The recordings are captured on a server in the house that runs BlueIris.
tuip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
redsand187

I have hikvision cameras to a NVR. Running POE 3-5mp cameras makes the most sense. Cheap cameras aren't going to give you enough detail to do anything. Just about any camera you buy is going to need at least power ran to it, so you are going to have to run wires no matter what. You might as well run ethernet cable and use POE cameras.
redsand187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
tuip

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand187 View Post
You might as well run ethernet cable and use POE cameras.
Hear hear
tuip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
A**holes Garage

7) Hikvision cameras, POE, no Chinese knock offs, no Amazon or Ebay
2 years so far, excellent camera recording, night and day, good camera software
A**holes Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #17
Freakish Mind

After test driving 3 camera systems out. The one that worked best for me was the Swann 500 gb 4 camera system. Everything is wired (which is one of the main reasons I bought it) Works with my smart phone. It was easy hooking up. the hardest part of everything was trying to hide all the wires. Time consuming, but I got them all hidden. As for the 500 gb, I can usually go back about a month to look at footage before it erases to clear more on the drive.
Freakish Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #18
thomfr

Interesting stuff!
Another question;
I struggle to figure out how to most efficient place/point the camera's. Any tips or drawings?
Thom

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=171061
thomfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomfr View Post
Interesting stuff!
Another question;
I struggle to figure out how to most efficient place/point the camera's. Any tips or drawings?
Thom
really depends on your property layout and the camera's. When you first do it you run the cable to the general area and temp secure it. then see if its what you expect. if not move.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #20
CN Spots

Aim them at points of entry and try to capture the other cameras in the shot if possible. I mounted most of mine in the corners shooting down the side of the house to capture all of the windows/doors. One is on the driveway and one dedicated to the front door. I walked around the house first and stood where I thought I wanted a camera and what I wanted it to capture. I ended up tweaking all of them a bit once installed & I had to make little pucks to lower the cameras a bit so that they wouldn't get the bottom of the eaves in the shot. That was screwing up the night vision.

My advice after buying mine:

Spend the money on better cameras AND quality cables.
Get an expandable system.
I'd look for a wide angle camera. Mine's FOV is a bit tight.
Plug up and test everything before install.
CN Spots is offline   Reply With Quote