Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
A**holes Garage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 785
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

I too was unsure of the focal points of each of my cameras and how much area they would cover. I did not want "fish eye" wide angle look. I have 2) bullet cameras with 2.8mm lenses on a couple of mine that cover each side my driveway and a portion of the street.

For those areas that I wanted a wider and longer visual for my street and back yard view, so I purchased 3) bullet vari-focus cameras, these are manually adjustable and the lens adjusts from 2.8mm-12mm. You can adjust to the area you want to cover. These are a bit pricier.

I used fixed, 2.8mm mini-domes for inside my 3) car garage and a mini-dome 4mm wireless camera inside the home. Covers everything I need and also allows some flexibility to adjust on the var-focal cams.
A**holes Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #22
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Do you have a budget in mind? HIK vision and Blue iris is a decent way to go. Axis communications cameras and camera companion is another option. Swann would be my last choice due to my experience with their remote viewing software and the lack of features when it comes to reviewing video.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #23
logan_gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 31
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

What budget are you looking around? Are you wanting to install everything at once or scale up over time?

At our office, I installed AXIS Cameras and run BlueIris off a Dell Sever. Depending on how many cameras you want, this price can go pretty high. We have around 20-30k invested for 25 cameras. (This is including all wiring and termination, POE Switches, Cameras, any misc hardware).

At Home I am running some Yi Cameras (Basically china versions of the Nest camera).
I started out using SD Cards and their app, I have switched over to running these and using BlueIris as the NVR. Its nice to be able to mix and match cameras and scale as needed.


Also, the cameras are only as good as the location they are in, we had a break in two weeks ago. The vandal was able to disable the cameras because people left 4x4's laying around where he could move the camera angle, and we left some pallets piled up near one where he could climb up and disable it.
logan_gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #24
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Ok just like the old saying goes pictures are worth a thousand words. These are screen shots from a $500 swann system 4 cameras and a dvr and then a axis system with about $1800 in diy equipment for 6 cameras, switches, storage and cable.


Swann
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4593.jpg (156.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4594.jpg (80.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4595.jpg (74.4 KB, 92 views)
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Axis. Sorry Still figuring out the photo side of things. All pictures are from toda at 1am, 5am and current. This axis system has 6 cameras on multiple buildings os the equipment list was a little bit more than a standard install requires and one camera has a remote zoom capable camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4592.jpg (157.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4591.jpg (132.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4590.jpg (131.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4585.jpg (159.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4588.jpg (153.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4589.jpg (151.2 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Tmart86; 07-17-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #26
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

First ask yourself WHY do you want cameras? Do you want to be able to check in on things while you're away?
Or for security as in identifying the person that broke into your garage and stole your stuff. If you want security, skip the box store kits. They generally offer wide angle lenses that allow you to see only that something happened... Not who did that something.

Check out this forum for a lot of really good info on cameras. Its a great forum with a lot of really smart and helpful members, much like this forum. https://ipcamtalk.com

I have 3 of these on the 2 doors of my house and the door to my barn and then i have a few cheaper cameras on less important areas like my chicken coop. The door cameras are for security (they have a varifocal lens that allows you to zoom in to get the best field of view for your particular situation)

Definitely get IP cameras as well. Running cat5e cable isn't too difficult and POE is amazing.

Last edited by Pipanski; 07-17-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #27
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Also, for anyone who has or is planning on installing cameras, give this thread a read to secure your system. Setting up a VPN will allow you to easily and securely view your cameras while away from your home/business and a lot of other cool things.

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-pr...r-noobs.14601/

Last edited by Pipanski; 07-17-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #28
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipanski View Post
Also, for anyone who has or is planning on installing cameras, give this thread a read to secure your system. Setting up a VPN will allow you to easily and securely view your cameras while away from your home/business and a lot of other cool things.

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-pr...r-noobs.14601/
This is good advice for sure. Most big name VMS providers simplify the process for the end user to achieve a secure remote session.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #29
Kaizen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,593
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart86 View Post
Axis. Sorry Still figuring out the photo side of things. All pictures are from toda at 1am, 5am and current. This axis system has 6 cameras on multiple buildings os the equipment list was a little bit more than a standard install requires and one camera has a remote zoom capable camera.
Using this as an important point. Night vision works well for ten feet. Lights are needed beyond that. After I installed mine I had to go add some lights and spots to effectively use the manufacturers night vision distance
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Using this as an important point. Night vision works well for ten feet. Lights are needed beyond that. After I installed mine I had to go add some lights and spots to effectively use the manufacturers night vision distance
The sad part is my swan system is assisted by a flood light with led bulbs and its not much better when the lights go on. The image sensor is just that much better on professional quality equipment.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #31
NewShockerGuy
Senior Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia / DC
Posts: 1,985
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

I'll ask the silly questions but what do you do when your house is already built/finished? If I want to run cameras I'm going to have to be cutting drywall everywhere to run the cables down to the basement where I have my router/network... If I stuck the recorder in the garage then I could easily run a camera on the front of the house and front door into the garage without destroying anything since I could go through the soffits, but the rest of the house/back yard I have no clue how I would even make it work let alone tie into the main system...

I'm not shy with computers or setting any of this up... I do IT, so that's the easy part. The hard part to me is getting everything run. Makes me wish the builder years ago would have just wired everything via cat5 or had runs of cat5 to different locations of the house even if it wasn't terminated at the time or had a use.

Wireless cameras do not seem like a good option as I don't want to be changing batteries or anything like that.

-Nigel
__________________
________

-....-> ~ NSG ~ <-....-
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #32
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart86 View Post
This is good advice for sure. Most big name VMS providers simplify the process for the end user to achieve a secure remote session.
What do you mean? Are you talking about the apps that come with box systems that allow you to view from your phone?
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #33
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

NewShockerGuy if the house is already built (like mine was, in 1893) you will have to drill some holes and cut some drywall/plaster. No getting around it but get some fiberglass rods https://m.harborfreight.com/3-16-inc...not%20provided and watch some YouTube to learn some tricks. It's not impossible.
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #34
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart86 View Post
The sad part is my swan system is assisted by a flood light with led bulbs and its not much better when the lights go on. The image sensor is just that much better on professional quality equipment.

Check out the videos and pictures of this camera on the first page of this thread. Going with pro cameras is definitely worth it. There is a fixed lens version of this that's $50 cheaper, but I'd suggest getting one of these varifocals first https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-...5231r-z.14683/
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #35
Kaizen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,593
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart86 View Post
The sad part is my swan system is assisted by a flood light with led bulbs and its not much better when the lights go on. The image sensor is just that much better on professional quality equipment.
sorry I wasn't insulting the porch one. The pro one is actually an excellent example of what you can see at day and at night. People think its going to be like a night vision helmet and important point is these things need light to work. To add to that I found sensor lights that turn off and on make them change from nighttime to daytime mode every time the light goes on so lose a few valuable seconds of quality video.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #36
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipanski View Post
What do you mean? Are you talking about the apps that come with box systems that allow you to view from your phone?
I know with Axis all the remote viewing is handled Through a secure connection via a intermediate server and the use of AES256 encryption. you can find the white paper on their web site. The other big players like milestone arent going to offer remote viewing thats not secure because its bad business for them.
If you use more DIY option a VPN or other measures for security are definitely required. I had to manually set up my swann because it uses UPNP out of the box and it doesn't take much research to see why UPNP is a bad deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipanski View Post
Check out the videos and pictures of this camera on the first page of this thread. Going with pro cameras is definitely worth it. There is a fixed lens version of this that's $50 cheaper, but I'd suggest getting one of these varifocals first https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-...5231r-z.14683/
I know lots of people use the Dahua and Hikvision cameras with good results its just not for me. My swann system will be removed this year and Axis cameras will replace it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
sorry I wasn't insulting the porch one. The pro one is actually an excellent example of what you can see at day and at night. People think its going to be like a night vision helmet and important point is these things need light to work. To add to that I found sensor lights that turn off and on make them change from nighttime to daytime mode every time the light goes on so lose a few valuable seconds of quality video.
No insult taken I was just trying to show the down falls of the swann. when we installed the Axis products on those buildings we spent alot of time trying to make good use of the available lighting on the property we only have two cameras that dont stay color at night. The camera shown thats in night vision had to be adjust so it would make the change to B/W. It wanted to stay color but the image noise when it was in color just wasnt worth it so black and white with IR was the way to go.

The images from axis cameras are the axis M2025-LE. This camera offers a couple neat features from axis including their wide dynamic range Forensic capture and the zipstream technology for increased storage. yea its a $299 camera but it also has a 3 year warranty and amazing tech support even for DIY. You can also get the axis companion bullet for about $90 less and its supposed to be the same camera with some of the software features locked out.

Last edited by Tmart86; 07-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
openwheelracing88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 185
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

I use a mixture of Arlo Pro and Arlo Q cameras. Works great!
openwheelracing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #38
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I'll ask the silly questions but what do you do when your house is already built/finished? If I want to run cameras I'm going to have to be cutting drywall everywhere to run the cables down to the basement where I have my router/network... If I stuck the recorder in the garage then I could easily run a camera on the front of the house and front door into the garage without destroying anything since I could go through the soffits, but the rest of the house/back yard I have no clue how I would even make it work let alone tie into the main system...

I'm not shy with computers or setting any of this up... I do IT, so that's the easy part. The hard part to me is getting everything run. Makes me wish the builder years ago would have just wired everything via cat5 or had runs of cat5 to different locations of the house even if it wasn't terminated at the time or had a use.

Wireless cameras do not seem like a good option as I don't want to be changing batteries or anything like that.

-Nigel
Alot of houses will have some kind of Chase wall that your plumbing stack, gas furance/water heater will go up to the roof in that you can fish wires into the attic from the basement and then out to the eves. drop a run of flexible low voltage conduit or pvc conduit into this space and then run your wires. Also it sucks but spend the time in the attic to keep your wires neat and use j hooks or something to attach them to the rafters
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #39
Pipanski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 20
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart86 View Post
I know lots of people use the Dahua and Hikvision cameras with good results its just not for me. My swann system will be removed this year and Axis cameras will replace it.

yea its a $299 camera but it also has a 3 year warranty and amazing tech support even for DIY. You can also get the axis companion bullet for about $90 less and its supposed to be the same camera with some of the software features locked out.
Dahua and Hick are both good yes, but this particular camera is in a series of Dahua cams that use the 1/2.8 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX291) CMOS that has vastly superior low light capabilities. At $170 for the varifocal or $120 for the fixed lens (which includes 3 day shipping) you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

For a little more than $300 (i think $360 maybe) you can get a PTZ Dahua with the same sensor.
Pipanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #40
Tmart86
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Security camera install. Looking for a do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipanski View Post
Dahua and Hick are both good yes, but this particular camera is in a series of Dahua cams that use the 1/2.8 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX291) CMOS that has vastly superior low light capabilities. At $170 for the varifocal or $120 for the fixed lens (which includes 3 day shipping) you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

For a little more than $300 (i think $360 maybe) you can get a PTZ Dahua with the same sensor.
Yep not doubting the performance at least in the beginning its the reliability and hassle . I've read quite a bit about them but for as many good stories you read about them you can find just as many bad. people seem to be constantly updating firmware etc. tech support is minimal at best other than forums from what I can tell. But it comes down to you get what you pay for. Id spend the money for 2 professional cameras anyday vs 4 cheap cameras for the same money.
Tmart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.