Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
gahrajmahal
Senior Member
 
gahrajmahal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 735
Default PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Hi folks,

I have been doing several plumbing repairs and have started to enjoy working with PEX tubing. So far I have rented the tool kit from Home Depot, but by now I could have purchased one myself. I have another plumbing project and thought I'd get some recommendations before my purchase.

Thanks ahead of time...
__________________
Can't never did anything...

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
DTE
Senior Member
 
DTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 613
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I have the Apollo set from Lowes. The biggest drawback I have seen with it is in tight quarters it will not work , I guess some type of ratchet crimper would be a nice addition along with this set.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-Mult...g-Tool/3572368 . But I have very little Pex experience.
__________________
My build thread : http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=257083
DTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Firebrick43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West central Indiana
Posts: 878
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Get a Milwaukee m12 propex expander, they are awesome and the fittings don't reduce flow like crimp ones do.
Firebrick43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
PCustoms
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: VT
Posts: 415
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Got one off Amazon, like $30. Uses the stainless rings.

EDIT: Iwiss PEX ratcheting crimp tool, curently $25.39

No complaints.

Last edited by PCustoms; 07-16-2017 at 06:29 PM.
PCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
rlitman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 10,309
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrick43 View Post
Get a Milwaukee m12 propex expander, they are awesome and the fittings don't reduce flow like crimp ones do.
Well, they are better in many ways, but the fittings are uber expensive, and damn near impossible for me to find locally, and you can only use this with PEX-A, which is also unavailable for me locally (it is NOT rated for PEX-B, which is pretty much everything available in stores by me, or PEX-C)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCustoms View Post
Got one off Amazon, like $30. Uses the stainless rings.

EDIT: Iwiss PEX ratcheting crimp tool, curently $25.39

No complaints.
This one (which I have) is $23.50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9N2ZKP

I also have the Oetiker crimper, which can be used from the side, for use in tight places.
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
tjdux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southern Nebraska
Posts: 642
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I also have an apollo brand crimper, the bolt cutter style and yes it can be hard or impossible in really really cramped settings but a little creativity and maybe a shark bite and its really great tool.

I was in your exact shoes, had several plumbing projects and instead of renting a few times I actually redid the whole house at once and bought the tool before hand. Live and learn.

Once you buy it you may end up looking for plumbing projects lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
tjdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
RAYJAY
Senior Member
 
RAYJAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UNION DALE PA
Posts: 2,323
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

there is only one place to buy all of your pex and plumbing supply's

http://www.supplyhouse.com/

http://www.supplyhouse.com/PEX-Tools-26000
__________________
Quote:
A bolt doesn't care where the wrench was made.
Quote:
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."


Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAGT07 View Post
Your SHO has a PP?
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
gahrajmahal
Senior Member
 
gahrajmahal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 735
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Thanks all, you are really coming through for me again! I'll fil you in on my purchase. I think the rental ones are the Apollo. I like that it has a cut off tool in the kit in case you mess up and want to reuse a fitting. I really like the manifolds, it really simplifies the installs.
__________________
Can't never did anything...

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
johninct
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 869
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Viega. Pretty hard not to do a good job with their tool and fittings. Once starting the crimp, the tool can't be removed until it is crimped completely.
johninct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #10
Group B
Junior Member
 
Group B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 14
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCustoms View Post
Got one off Amazon, like $30. Uses the stainless rings.

EDIT: Iwiss PEX ratcheting crimp tool, curently $25.39

No complaints.
I recently got the same one. Works flawlessly. So much cheaper than the sharkbite push lock fittings. Plus you can use it for CV joint clamps.
Group B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #11
moto367
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 113
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I had a small job recently and couldn't justify the expense. I used the shark bite fittings. They were a little more money but it was super easy for my job. I'm no plumber so there may be pro's and con's but haven't had any leaks yet.
moto367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #12
theoldwizard1
Senior Member
 
theoldwizard1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE MI
Posts: 25,081
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Well, they are better in many ways, but the fittings are uber expensive, and damn near impossible for me to find locally, and you can only use this with PEX-A, which is also unavailable for me locally ...
That's a bummer ! I have done some work with PEX (like PEX-B because it was SO STIFF we had to buy straight sticks instead of coiled) so I do have a brass ring crimper but I have always thought that using an expander was the way to go. Obviously not, if it required "special" tubing and fittings !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #13
acer66
Senior Member
 
acer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 877
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I got two Zurn and I really like them.
acer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
gahrajmahal
Senior Member
 
gahrajmahal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 735
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Apollo PEX kit.jpg

So, I clicked all of your links (thanks!) and purchased the Apollo set from Lowes as recommended by DTE. The link took me to a northern Lowes and it was listed for $49. When I switched to the more souhern Lowes near the job I am doing it is $79 !!
I ordered it online to make sure I would have one when I go over later in the day. An extra 15 miles to save $30. It is the same crimper that HD rents, so I have confidence it is a sturdy unit although not compact.
__________________
Can't never did anything...

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #15
Firebrick43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West central Indiana
Posts: 878
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
That's a bummer ! I have done some work with PEX (like PEX-B because it was SO STIFF we had to buy straight sticks instead of coiled) so I do have a brass ring crimper but I have always thought that using an expander was the way to go. Obviously not, if it required "special" tubing and fittings !
Don't be deterred rlitman. I highly doubt that pex A or the fittings are unavailable where he is. Yes many box stores don't carry it(Menards carries some) but all the plumbing supply stores do such as furgusons.

Also as ray jay posted, supplyhouse.com is just a day away from your front step, prices are good, and shipping is free over 99 dollars. It's rare for me to use anyone else. Also the fittings that propex use are high quality and don't suffer from dezincification that many brands of crimp fittings have in addition to the better flow and less issues with kinking.

The m12 expander tool is expensive but the resale value is phenomenal on eBay. For less than $50 you can "rent" the tool for as long as you need. The ease of use, both physically and getting into tight spaces is so much better that crimp tools or manual expanders.
Firebrick43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
Kaizen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,586
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I've had this one for years and haven't had any problems. Great for homeowner where you will be doing 1/2 and 3/4 only
Off the shelf at hd
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...3251/202270489
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
CoogarXR
Senior Member
 
CoogarXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,250
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

I have my trusty old Zurn Pex crimpers. I have never made a bad crimp. I have done at least 4 whole houses with them. They are pretty big, so you have to use a little logic so you don't pex yourself into a corner, so to speak, lol. They supposedly aren't for tight quarters, but I use them under the sink all the time with no problems.

CoogarXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
rlitman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 10,309
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrick43 View Post
Don't be deterred rlitman. I highly doubt that pex A or the fittings are unavailable where he is. Yes many box stores don't carry it(Menards carries some) but all the plumbing supply stores do such as furgusons.

Also as ray jay posted, supplyhouse.com is just a day away from your front step, prices are good, and shipping is free over 99 dollars. It's rare for me to use anyone else. Also the fittings that propex use are high quality and don't suffer from dezincification that many brands of crimp fittings have in addition to the better flow and less issues with kinking.

The m12 expander tool is expensive but the resale value is phenomenal on eBay. For less than $50 you can "rent" the tool for as long as you need. The ease of use, both physically and getting into tight spaces is so much better that crimp tools or manual expanders.
Nah, I've checked with the local supply houses a few years back, and none have PEX-A or expansion fittings. To be fair, it was before Milwaukee had the expansion tool out, and I was working with a friend's Wirsbo tool.

Supplyhouse.com IS just a day away, and I've gotten the expansion fittings and PEX-A I've worked with from them. I do highly recommend them. I also recommend using PEX-A, even if you're using crimp fittings, as it is way more flexible. Yes, it works with crimp fittings too.
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
Radix2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: the thumb!, MI
Posts: 1,146
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Nah, I've checked with the local supply houses a few years back, and none have PEX-A or expansion fittings. To be fair, it was before Milwaukee had the expansion tool out, and I was working with a friend's Wirsbo tool.

Supplyhouse.com IS just a day away, and I've gotten the expansion fittings and PEX-A I've worked with from them. I do highly recommend them. I also recommend using PEX-A, even if you're using crimp fittings, as it is way more flexible. Yes, it works with crimp fittings too.
Menards here has a complete selection of pex-a fittings and pipe.
Radix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #20
rlitman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 10,309
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radix2 View Post
Menards here has a complete selection of pex-a fittings and pipe.
With a 16 hour round trip to the nearest Menards, I'd probably get something delivered from pexsupply faster. LOL
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #21
Firebrick43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West central Indiana
Posts: 878
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Rlitman, the more I thought about it it may be scarce in your area. Union plumbers don't like it as it reduces labor cost. A lot of large cities actually don't allow pex (citing multiple invalid reasons) because of this.
Firebrick43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
rlitman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 10,309
Default Re: PEX Crimper Tool Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrick43 View Post
Rlitman, the more I thought about it it may be scarce in your area. Union plumbers don't like it as it reduces labor cost. A lot of large cities actually don't allow pex (citing multiple invalid reasons) because of this.
PEX certainly isn't scarce around here. And I know of no union residential work in my area (commercial yes).

Around here, Propress has reduced labor costs in copper enough to make PEX no longer nearly as competitive. Between that, and the fact that PEX has so many cheaper systems than expansion I think is why the expansion hasn't gotten much traction here.

Look at it this way: how can a plumber upsell the price of expansion fittings, when that price puts PEX into copper price territory? Would you choose PEX over copper when the bottom-line price is the same?
rlitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.