Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #61
jwhcars

Default Re: Townhouse garage in The Netherlands

You are doing a fantastic job of remodeling, you have great vision. I'm looking forward. To your updates.
jwhcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #62
dhubbard422

Very nice. Looking forward to following your progress!
dhubbard422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #63
tacostand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougan View Post
Here are a few snaps of the bricks. Not all of them have been cleaned yet. I will have to repoint at least some of them as a) bricks have fallen out or b) the bricks are just about to fall out.
The brick looks fantastic and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the finished product compared to the plaster you started with.
If you use a grinder to remove mortar in preparation for tuck pointing, I would only grind the horizontal joints and not the verticals. The verticals I would do with a plug/plugging (brick) chisel after grinding the verticals.
It's far too common using a grinder vertically in mortar joints for the wheel to nibble a bit of brick above or below the vertical joint distance.
In addition to looking bad this, again, 'literally' opens up the brick to future water damage.
Hope I'm not coming across as lecturing in my posts. Just wanting to pass on some info that may be of use.
Thanks,
Dave
tacostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #64
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacostand View Post
Hope I'm not coming across as lecturing in my posts. Just wanting to pass on some info that may be of use.
Thanks,
Dave
Not at all! I appreciate all feedback and advice. I know very little about all this. Head first.

My Dewalt grinder has died today, so wall cleaning has stopped. Not even a year old. Will have to get it fixed
rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #65
melle

If you decide on re-pointing I wouldn't use a grinder at all, a chisel will do since the mortar used is only chalk and not Portland cement. Also this type of brick is very soft and it chips easily. This type of wall was very common in NL and makes for very flexible buildings, in a good way. Also use chalk for re-pointing, using Portland will ruin a beautiful wall because it kills the moisture regulating capacity of this type of brick in combination with chalk. This is also the best reason for not sealing the wall. Google 'kalkmortel' and practice your Dutch. I love brick walls and hate the pebble dash and plaster board sadness you mostly see here in Ireland.
melle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #66
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle View Post
If you decide on re-pointing I wouldn't use a grinder at all, a chisel will do since the mortar used is only chalk and not Portland cement. Also this type of brick is very soft and it chips easily. This type of wall was very common in NL and makes for very flexible buildings, in a good way. Also use chalk for re-pointing, using Portland will ruin a beautiful wall because it kills the moisture regulating capacity of this type of brick in combination with chalk. This is also the best reason for not sealing the wall. Google 'kalkmortel' and practice your Dutch. I love brick walls and hate the pebble dash and plaster board sadness you mostly see here in Ireland.
So far the grinder has been great. No marks if you are gentle. I haven't really been removing the mortar, more cleaning the bricks and removing any plaster I couldn't get off using the SDS drill. I tried using a chisel and wire hand brush, but gave up after 2 minutes because it just takes too much time for the same result. :P

I'll be sure to use chalk. I new it wasn't regular mortar but wasn't sure which, thanks! Also, yes. I really don't like houses back in Ireland (I'm from Armagh, and wife from Dublin). They are all the same. Same layout. Same bricks. Same everything.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #67
melle

I live in 'heritage town' Dalkey, Dublin, so not the worst type of houses around fortunately.

I've worked with chalk quite a lot when I owned a house in NL, it's so much nicer stuff than Portland!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #68
Jim'bo

Damn, that bricklaying sure shows an awful lot of ‘preut op preut’ laying (I’m not even sure that expression works in The Netherlands – it does in Flanders – but what it essentially says is that the vertical gaps are on top of each other, leaving a shoddy/instable wall. What it really says cannot be explained before I check the forum rules again).

Anyway, I’d “kalei” (old-school chalk-based painting) the wall after it has been cleaned up and after all the loose parts have been fixated. I’d actually leave the missing bricks, well, missing, since that is just too cool, except of course the ones that might need replacing for structural reasons.

Jimbo

PS: Hi all! Registered just so I could do “you suck”s on Sakurama-level threads. Will eventually get to that…
Jim'bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #69
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim'bo View Post
Damn, that bricklaying sure shows an awful lot of ‘preut op preut’ laying (I’m not even sure that expression works in The Netherlands – it does in Flanders – but what it essentially says is that the vertical gaps are on top of each other, leaving a shoddy/instable wall. What it really says cannot be explained before I check the forum rules again).

Anyway, I’d “kalei” (old-school chalk-based painting) the wall after it has been cleaned up and after all the loose parts have been fixated. I’d actually leave the missing bricks, well, missing, since that is just too cool, except of course the ones that might need replacing for structural reasons.
Yeah, the brick laying is pretty woeful. At first I thought it was because it was so old, but I guess that is no excuse.

I'm also thinking of leaving the holes open. Just 'cause, as you say.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #70
melle

It was probably never intended to be left exposed.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #71
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle View Post
It was probably never intended to be left exposed.
I would still expect it to not overlap joints, though?

The weird thing is that the bottom 70cm of the wall is almost perfect. Perhaps our house was built before the neighbours and the wall was exposed on the outside.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #72
melle

That makes sense. Full exposed brick walls were expensive and often found at the front of houses; much cheaper brick with a layer of render was used on the sides. The brick your wall consists of is a perfect example of what's called 'vuilwerksteen' ('dirt work brick'). I would expect the bottom 70cms to be a much harder brick called 'klinker' and the mortar that's probably used is called 'tras'. This is basically an extension of the foundations and the assembly is called 'trasraam'. Shoddy bricklaying on walls that were intended to be rendered is pretty common I'm afraid and nothing to worry about. I don't want to know what the Irish hide under their pebble dash.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #73
rdougan

Spent most of yesterday and today scrubbing the wall with the angle grinder (had to buy a new one) and then washing it down a few times today. It got incredibly dusty at times.

But the result so far is pretty good. The wall isn't perfect, but I think that adds to the overall look of it. I might clean down parts of it before I seal it, but I'm pretty happy.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #74
Sunbimmer

The wall looks great

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #75
155'Ringman

Huuuge amount of work you've done there, love the exposed brick wall, it'll be great looking when it's finished.
Nice house, loads of character.
155'Ringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #76
Ajustable

That wall looks great, you would have a difficult time too recreate that old wall look with new materials. Resturants and Pubs here often refurbish old factories, they seem to aim for the look you have acheived. I always liked brick walls inside a home, Very good work.

Thanks,keep the pics coming, Chris
Ajustable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #77
rdougan

Small update.

I had in-laws visiting over the last week so didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I did manage to finally get all the bags of plaster cleared out of the garage though. So much more space.

I also finally removed what was left of the old kitchen. There was granite worktops, so ridiculously heavy. All gone now though, so space to put the wall up at the top of the stairs:

Next: Finally add proper walls into the workshop (OSB board), maybe make a few shelves, and figure out what to do with the wash room.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #78
rdougan

I finally have something that resembles a workshop!

And a quick video, as it is hard to take a picture with limited space and no wide angle lens: http://cl.ly/YKJx

Nothing fancy at this stage, as I need to figure out exactly how everything will fit in the limited space. But it is nice to have some things finally organised.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #79
rdougan

February has been a busy month. I finally got the time to finish some things off and get the plastering done in the front section of the garage.

The plastering is pretty good. There are a few parts that need a light sanding, but other than that, I'm fairly happy.

Now comes the most exciting part.. finally the skylights have been installed!

The first major problem was our street. We had 2x 2x1m walk on glass windows fitting, and understandably, they are pretty heavy - almost 200kg! So a crane was needed. Somehow, miraculously, the driver managed to get the truck down our street. I've no idea how, as I often struggle getting my car down there..

Cutting the hole in the roof:

The truck lifting the windows over the entire house. This was terrifying to watch - but you could tell the driver had done it before..

And putting them into place...

My wife was the first to stand on them. Very strange feeling - but it feels very solid.

And of course, there is a massive light difference downstairs. There is easily more light in the back now, compared to the light coming from the front garage door.

I still think I will install some kind of light tunnel in the back right, so that area isn't quite as dark.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. My only annoyance is that they did not install the inner aluminium 'kerbing' which is used to finish off the 12mm plasterboard inside. Unfortunately I realised when it was too late. This means that right now, you can see the wooden frame from the outside - and there is no easy way to finish off around the windows on the inside with plaster. I'll have to create a custom plinth with a small lip.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #80
melle

Nice progress! You could add a Solatube, they're amazingly effective.