Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #2001
ChristopherLutz

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Jack -

You've fallen off of page 1 threads. Get Busy with Something!
ChristopherLutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #2002
cbharis

What kind of vices are those? I need some for my workshop/garage.
cbharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #2003
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

The three vises are all second-hand Wiltons that I cleaned up and repainted.

The biggest is a 1765, which was made in 2004 and has 6-1/2" jaws.

The ugliest of the bunch is a C1 with 4-1/2" jaws. I think it's from 1989.

The best looking one (am I really talking about the looks of a vise?) is a 9450, which also has 4-1/2" jaws and was made in 1973.

The bad thing about Wiltons is that they've become kind of over-valued on the market. There are other good American-made vises that won't command the high 'fad' prices Wilton's are getting now. The good thing about Wiltons is that they're a pretty good American-made vise, and they have a cool and distinct design to them.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #2004
cbharis

Thanks Jack! Those are beautiful.... but probably not within my budget

I just did an ebay search for those.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #2005
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

I know. It's crazy.

If you want a really good vise, I think it's better to search for a second-hand Reed, Parker, Athol, Prentiss or Ridgid.

If you're willing to spend $100, the best value for a tried-and-true vise design is the Sears Craftsman Professional 4-1/2" model.

It looks familiar because it's the Wilton 1745 design. But it's manufactured overseas, so it's about a third the price of the comparable Wilton. Is it as good as the Wilton? No. But we've all got to decide how much we ought to spend on a vise. And it's better to buy a Chinese knock-off made to Wilton's specs than one that's just been improvised by a designer somewhere.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #2006
Zeke

I'm not too keen on the metal used on the Chinese made vises. You and I both have the 45# HF anvil (I've seen yours in the pics of the south(?) wall. When I hit a piece of steel on mine with a hammer, I get a thud and not anything like ring. And it dents.

I've got and old Columbian and and older Anthol and I would feel better about beating and cranking on them.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #2007
admranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
The three vises are all second-hand Wiltons that I cleaned up and repainted.

The biggest is a 1765, which was made in 2004 and has 6-1/2" jaws.

The ugliest of the bunch is a C1 with 4-1/2" jaws. I think it's from 1989.

The best looking one (am I really talking about the looks of a vise?) is a 9450, which also has 4-1/2" jaws and was made in 1973.

The bad thing about Wilton's is that they've become kind of over-valued on the market. There are other good American-made vises that won't command the high 'fad' prices Wilton's are getting now. The good thing about Wiltons is that they're a pretty good American-made vise, and they have a cool and distinct design to them.

Definitely need to get a new vise for the garage re-do... I always miss out on the deals on the 'bay though. CL in Vegas is grim. I've seen one Wilton for sale and it was brand new and sold in less than a day.
admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #2008
zip95864

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Definitely need to get a new vise for the garage re-do... I always miss out on the deals on the 'bay though. CL in Vegas is grim. I've seen one Wilton for sale and it was brand new and sold in less than a day.
I've posted this in another thread, but here's the search I used which scours for all sorts of vises that others might not search for. Helped me land a decent price on a Parker vise.

link
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #2009
bluebolt

Hey Jack Olsen, I am getting ready to use my Craftsman 3 wheel bandsaw like yours and am planning on mounting on a board too. What did you use, 3/4" plywood? Any other tips or suggestions?
bluebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #2010
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Well, I used plywood because it was what I had on hand. I didn't have a setup where I could mount the motor down below, like some guys do. And I couldn't think of a way to tension the belt other than using its own weight and a pair of hinges. I guess if I had more time, I might have tried to make it out of steel instead of wood. But the wood has worked out pretty well.

Here it is all ugly and improvised.

And with paint:

Also, the friction tape I used instead of an actual rubber tire for the wheels has been holding up fine. It's a good, cheap trick.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #2011
cbharis

Dude you got all the ideas! LOL I actually need to replace my "tires" on my bandsaw. What friction tape did you happen to use? Sure would help

Also, did you replace the blade guard or just polish it up? I need to polish mine up and also my table where it has acquired rust from old building which is falling apart. Now it's time to clean everything up. What did you use etc..

Many Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #2012
cbharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95864 View Post
I've posted this in another thread, but here's the search I used which scours for all sorts of vises that others might not search for. Helped me land a decent price on a Parker vise.

link
Nice link! Many Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #2013
GGB

Jack, I like your friction tape idea. I've got an old bandsaw made from a kit, probably from the 1960's, that I only use occasionally. It was built by a relative of ours on my Bride's side, and is big and ugly and takes up way too much room, and the rubber wheels have completely deteriorated to the point that I can't use it anymore. I've wanted to get rid of it, but it's family, if that makes any sense. So your friction tape idea is worth a try to save it.

Thanks for bringing us all these great ideas. By the way, you are shaming me into getting my vice up to "12 Gauge Garage" specs! Then to get better organized.......a never ending process, but then it's the journey, not the destination, right?

GGB
GGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #2014
odie

Jack, do you spray or brush the paint on the vise? After seeing yours, then looking at mine, as well as the grinder, mine need a good clean up and a fresh coat of paint.

Hoosier Audi Garage
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #2015
1Garageman

Hey Jack, I was driving into work this morning and look what I saw on the back of a truck being towed. I thought of you and just had to take a picture of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-29-12 001.jpg (142.8 KB, 337 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #2016
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I'm not too keen on the metal used on the Chinese made vises. You and I both have the 45# HF anvil (I've seen yours in the pics of the south(?) wall. When I hit a piece of steel on mine with a hammer, I get a thud and not anything like ring. And it dents.

I've got and old Columbian and and older Anthol and I would feel better about beating and cranking on them.
I agree. Although the spec on the Chinese Wilton's cast iron is 60,000 psi, which is the same as the really good Wiltons (and double the spec for the inexpensive Wiltons). But given the choice between a second-hand top-tier vise and a brand new Chinese one, I think the quality will generally be better on the older vises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbharis View Post
Dude you got all the ideas! LOL I actually need to replace my "tires" on my bandsaw. What friction tape did you happen to use? Sure would help

Also, did you replace the blade guard or just polish it up? I need to polish mine up and also my table where it has acquired rust from old building which is falling apart. Now it's time to clean everything up. What did you use etc..

Many Thanks!
I think I sanded off the surface rust on the table, and just did a quick clean-up on everything else. The easy way to 'mask off' the top surface of the table when you paint it is to turn it upside down on a very flat surface and spray it.

I used 3M 3407NA friction tape, which is 3/4" wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGB View Post
Jack, I like your friction tape idea. I've got an old bandsaw made from a kit, probably from the 1960's, that I only use occasionally. It was built by a relative of ours on my Bride's side, and is big and ugly and takes up way too much room, and the rubber wheels have completely deteriorated to the point that I can't use it anymore. I've wanted to get rid of it, but it's family, if that makes any sense. So your friction tape idea is worth a try to save it.

Thanks for bringing us all these great ideas. By the way, you are shaming me into getting my vice up to "12 Gauge Garage" specs! Then to get better organized.......a never ending process, but then it's the journey, not the destination, right?
Thanks. But the friction tape idea wasn't mine. It was either posted in a thread here or someone sent me an email. I wish I remembered who it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
Jack, do you spray or brush the paint on the vise? After seeing yours, then looking at mine, as well as the grinder, mine need a good clean up and a fresh coat of paint.
I spray-bombed it. I used an angle grinder with a wire brush to get the old paint off, then used automotive (self-etching) primer, then good ol' Rustoleum. The color is called Anodized Bronze. The vises won't stay pretty for too long, I'm sure. But they look better than they did when I got them.

Although I've seen Wiltons brought back from much worse condition on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Garageman View Post
Hey Jack, I was driving into work this morning and look what I saw on the back of a truck being towed. I thought of you and just had to take a picture of it!
Actually, both the Porsche and the Minivan are in my world right now. My wife wants a Honda Odyssey.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #2017
Squankum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
If you're willing to spend $100, the best value for a tried-and-true vise design is the Sears Craftsman Professional 4-1/2" model.

There's been some informative stuff on GJ about the details of this vise and how to get it squared away:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=142872

Like some things HF sells that are made in China, it's like they did 85% of the work, and then passed the savings on to you! I've eyed this vise as a good value, too. CL is dead for vises in my town.

Jack, everybody I know who has an Odyssey, loves their Odyssey!

Underground Lair of the Squankum
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s....php?p=1796399
Squankum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #2018
cgalpin

Jack, great garage and you can't beat the Odyssey if you need/want a minivan.
cgalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #2019
914forme

Odyssey is great, and GRM used to tow a small AL car trailer with their's before they got the pilot. I would not own one, though. Now the Mid Engine Toyota van, yeah that makes sense to me. Its got racing heritage you know

I do have to say the new ones, I don't like the lower window line, it looks like the designer sneezed when they where penning the window line. Its right at the C pillar, I find it crazy looking, just messes with the flow of the van.
914forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #2020
BigAl62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914forme View Post
Odyssey is great, and GRM used to tow a small AL car trailer with their's before they got the pilot. I would not own one, though. Now the Mid Engine Toyota van, yeah that makes sense to me. Its got racing heritage you know

I do have to say the new ones, I don't like the lower window line, it looks like the designer sneezed when they where penning the window line. Its right at the C pillar, I find it crazy looking, just messes with the flow of the van.
Have you ever actually worked on one of those Toyota vans? They SUCK to even do an oil change on (what other vehicle do you risk spilling oil INSIDE of when filling it?)! I always hated seeing them come into the shop.