Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #3081
mdbeck1

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Thanks!

The wiring for the candle will run through the frame, but it will be 3V. I'd be a little leery about running 120V through a structure that opens and closes. Sooner or later, it seems like the wire would fray or break.
Love the gate. An idea to throw just to go around the wiring problems. If you mount a small 12VDC battery on the gate with a small solar panel you shouldn't have to worry about the wiring being in a mobile environment. I guess you could also do it with a 3V battery as well.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #3082
Conor

Jack did you build the planters? my wife has been asking me to build her some. just wondering on the details.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #3083
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam McLaughlin View Post
How does that cordless Rigid tool work out?
It worked fine. The smaller size of the cordless circular saw meant I was able to cut all eight of the pillar assemblies in place, and it went through all of them with no problem -- plenty of charge left on the battery when the job was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temoore55 View Post
Where did you get those lights??

I don't comment much but I have been following your thread for a couple of years. Incredible, simply incredible!!! I'm borrowing your sunshade idea for my pergola. Sometimes the sun is just too much, even in Chicago.
Thanks. Remember to figure for snow load in Chicago -- which probably means making the shade removable for the colder months. There are kits for grommets.

The lights are just Japanese style spheres, although they're made out of vinyl instead of paper. The light fixtures inside are outdoor pieces from Lowe's. Here's a link to where I got the $7 spheres:

http://www.paperlanternstore.com/20whnyla.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Jack,

I like the perimeter "troughs" with the impatiens - very attractive and an excellent choice for this cool shaded area. Did you (will you) plumb in some drip lines? I'd suggest it if you haven't. I'm sure water would be easy to add if you T a small valve off your hose bib below the deck. Also, if you put them on a timer you'll rarely have to think of them.

Anyway, everything is looking great. Keep plugging and when you get all the lights working please post a couple photos of it in the evening.
Thanks, Dan. As I was putting them in, I realized this is the first time I've planted flowers since I was a kid. It's hard on the back! I've got the pieces for a drip system sitting in a box right now, which will attach to the existing timer-controlled valve that used to irrigate the back yard. It should be pretty easy to install. But we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeck1 View Post
Love the gate. An idea to throw just to go around the wiring problems. If you mount a small 12VDC battery on the gate with a small solar panel you shouldn't have to worry about the wiring being in a mobile environment. I guess you could also do it with a 3V battery as well.
A 3V battery seems like the most straightforward way to do it. But wiring it into the larger system (there are going to be 'sconce' type candles on the pillars and a sort of candelabra thing on one wall) will allow me to run the whole setup off a motion detector or timer. I think subjecting a slender wire with 3V running through it should be acceptable, even with the movement at the hinge point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Jack did you build the planters? my wife has been asking me to build her some. just wondering on the details.
They were as simple as construction gets. I used a length of 2x4 for the base, and used a table saw to angle one side in the course of making it narrower.

Then I used my go-to lumber selection for this project -- $2-per piece cedar fence pickets -- for the sides. I screwed lengths of cedar to each side of the 2x4, and used my miter saw to cut end pieces that matched the angle I'd ripped into the 2x4. I cut some extra pieces in the same shape to insert inside the trough to keep the shape of the whole thing more consistent, since the cedar is not consistently straight.

Here's a picture that shows the shape of the end caps and also a 2x4 with a line drawn on the side to show how I added an angle as I ran it through the table saw:

The 2x4 I actually used was pressure-treated, and I used a spray on sealer for the edge I cut. I also made each planter water tight with roofing caulk and drilled drainage holes before I planted the flowers.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #3084
OscarTango

:Hmmm...water tight and drilled holes.... ehm... hate to break it to you , but you cancelled the first one with the second

Sorry...couldn't resist
OscarTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #3085
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
....As I was putting them in, I realized this is the first time I've planted flowers since I was a kid. It's hard on the back!
Man, you can say that again. I enjoy doing it but my back really feels it afterward.

"The only thing worse than getting old is the alternative!"

Quote:
....Then I used my go-to lumber selection for this project -- $2-per piece cedar fence pickets -- for the sides.
Smart....and cheap! Which is always a good thing.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #3086
Zeke

I hope the drainage holes have little tubes in them that go through that beautiful deck.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #3087
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

That's a good point, Zeke. That's why I sealed where the boards came together. The drilled holes are over the gap between the deck and the wall.

Here's the arched church gate test-fitted and ready for a little more clean-up and then some primer.

I'm going to fill the space between the pickets on the two side/framing sections -- just not sure how I want to do that yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #3088
Conor

thanks for info about the planter boxes Jack.

That gate looks really slick! My wife has been asking that I build or buy one for the side of our house. Getting more ideas from you. lol
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #3089
Jsf721

Jack,

Another awesome project. I am lucky my wife is not a GJ member. My projects a minor in comparison and it takes me so much longer to get them done. The perfect symetry is admirable. I know that is not easy.

On a side note, the side gaps look slightly wider than the rails on the gate and I know you have little ones. Perhaps a peice of Plexi glass electrial ties on until they get a little older would be a good fix for safey sake until your sure the little guy can't get his head caught in there.

I know that when our kids were little I did that to ensure nobody fell through the railing in my own home.

Have a good weekend.

Quote:
That's a good point, Zeke. That's why I sealed where the boards came together. The drilled holes are over the gap between the deck and the wall.

Here's the arched church gate test-fitted and ready for a little more clean-up and then some primer.

I'm going to fill the space between the pickets on the two side/framing sections -- just not sure how I want to do that yet.
Jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #3090
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks. In most areas, I think the code is a 4" ball can not be passed through the pickets/balusters/whatever. I plan on filling in the side pieces (not the gate itself), but not with additional pickets. My current thinking is with some of the gray cedar, like the planter boxes.

The more I can obscure the view out to the driveway, the better -- since it will reduce the number of times my wife will see the Strong Hold cabinet that's sitting out there, as it has been for years, with no real progress being made on moving it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #3091
rharman

Quote:
Thanks. In most areas, I think the code is a 4" ball can not be passed through the pickets/balusters/whatever. I plan on filling in the side pieces (not the gate itself), but not with additional pickets. My current thinking is with some of the gray cedar, like the planter boxes.

The more I can obscure the view out to the driveway, the better -- since it will reduce the number of times my wife will see the Strong Hold cabinet that's sitting out there, as it has been for years, with no real progress being made on moving it.
Perhaps perforated metal? That's what we did on our side gates and I've been very happy with it.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #3092
PhantomEB

Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB

How was that square tube rolled? Jig? I been thinkin something like that, along with porforated or expanded metal at moms house to keep the little dogs in the yard but allows the snow to blow thru.
PhantomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3093
Zeke

Quote:

I know you don't like scrolls, but some 1/4" square solid bar gently bent in the same radius as the inner arch and positioned from one post to the inside of the other with the 4" spacing would replicate your design. I can't post a drawing, so this pic is only about what I am thinking.

Like a few of the simple arch in the far left and right panels stacked 3-4 high.

Then there's the treatment that this furniture represents:

Now that I'm thinking about this, you could redo the 2 sides to each have their own gothic peak and put a candle post in each one.

Easy for me to make more work for you.

Last edited by Zeke; 05-03-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #3094
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEB View Post
How was that square tube rolled? Jig? I been thinkin something like that, along with porforated or expanded metal at moms house to keep the little dogs in the yard but allows the snow to blow thru.
It was bent with a Harbor Freight tubing bender and some $39 dies that were widened out by Zeke on this board.

Here's the machine:

Here's what it can do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I know you don't like scrolls, but some 1/4" square solid bar gently bent in the same radius as the inner arch and positioned from one post to the inside of the other with the 4" spacing would replicate your design. I can't post a drawing, so this pic is only about what I am thinking.

Like a few of the simple arch in the far left and right panels stacked 3-4 high.

Then there's the treatment that this furniture represents:

Now that I'm thinking about this, you could redo the 2 sides to each have their own gothic peak and put a candle post in each one.

Easy for me to make more work for you.
Don't like scrolls? My front gate has a set:

I think you've got a good idea, there. Much better than just another picket with a mismatched gap. But the new gate is already more decorative looking than the rest of the deck. If I fill the space with the painted cedar, my thinking has been that it will kind of disappear into the background, visually.

But then, I haven't worked out the final design for the big wall-spanning candelabra thing that's coming next. Depending on how it looks, I guess it might work to echo the design in those side panels, possibly. But I think I'll leave the little panels open until the other pieces are done, so I can see how the whole deal is looking.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #3095
PhantomEB

Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB

Where do I find the Balluster tops like that to fit 1x1 square tube, I think those are? Thats more what I was thinkin for my 36" wide, 48" tall Man gates.
PhantomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3096
Looping

Quote:

An idea would be to place a piece of the same wood as your deck. That could be fine...
Looping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #3097
hippie2cams

also need to design a latching system for the open side of the gate, you wouldn't want those little ones taking off when you blink. I sure you have found out by now they really can move that fast. The reason I mentioned designing is that Store Bought just isn't good enough for THIS garage. I am in awe of what you have been able to do with this space. thanks for sharing all these stolen ideas not you, us
hippie2cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #3098
Zengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping View Post
An idea would be to place a piece of the same wood as your deck. That could be fine...
Yeah I think it would really tie things together nicely if you used some of the deckboard in your gate design somehow.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #3099
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

We've got a rain storm coming, so today I primed and painted the gate even though I haven't worked out the latch mechanism or the way I'm going to fill those side panels.

Still have to patch and paint that wall behind it. But one thing at a time. Even if it is in the wrong sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEB View Post
Where do I find the Balluster tops like that to fit 1x1 square tube, I think those are? Thats more what I was thinkin for my 36" wide, 48" tall Man gates.
I got that as a single piece from King Metals (they have locations in California, Texas and a few other places). I cut it in half and used it to top that gate -- I'm surprised that it ended up working as well as it did. I don't have a part number for it, I'm afraid. And while they've got a web site, it can be slow and a little overwhelming.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #3100
Duker

Quote:
even though I haven't worked out the latch mechanism or the way I'm going to fill those side panels.
Looking Great Jack.

As for your side panels, how about a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" plate cut to size then plasma or water jetted with a pattern that maybe incorporates the arches or other shapes on the deck to tie it all together? Not sure about prices in your neck of the woods but for something that size it may not be too cost prohibitive. It would lighten up the look, add some contrast but also solve your 4" safety issue. Just thinking out loud...

Barndominium Build --- Welding Table Build --- Various Garage Projects --- Work Bench Build

Youtube Video Channel
Duker is offline   Reply With Quote