Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #4841
cbacres

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Am I the only one who was skateboarding in 1978? Today, I remembered a logo and made myself a t-shirt. I'm going to wear it to a car show tomorrow.

Jack, these the wheels?

I bought these when I was a kid, about the timeframe you mentioned. I'm cleaning out my childhood home and came across these, never used. Has the German bearings, but rusted from being in the closet with the ac. I remember them being great wheels, wish I still had the skateboard that I made in shop class.
cbacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #4842
xCOYOTEx

Ok, at the very beginning of this thread, the second picture (I think) has a picture of a desk, with what appears to be a toolbox to the right of it. (the drawers are throwing me, I cant tell if they are homemade or not)
How did you make that desk? I like the hose reel that is hidden inside of that, and the outlet at the front. if those are toolboxes, what brand were they?

Also, in the revamp of the garage, you replaced the desk with a bench and a harbor freight toolbox. What is the box (with one door) to the left of the harbor freight box? Your shop is awesome, great job
xCOYOTEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:32 PM   #4843
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

cbacres, I remember those wheels. I wonder if the plastic gets brittle over the years? I also remember making my own board. I'd totally forgotten about that.

xCOYOTEx, the bench in the second picture is my current (and final) bench for that location. I made it by cutting a tall stack of drawers in half, and then (since it was nine drawers) added space to one side so that 1) my vise handle wouldn't block a drawer, and 2) I could put in a (sideways) air reel. I also tacked on an outlet strip, just because it was wasted space otherwise.

Some of the pictures have disappeared, because imageshack is not what it ought to be -- and I apologize for that. But if you start on the page in this link, you can see most of that bench as it came together:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=55006&page=80

There's also a shorter version at this link: http://12-gaugegarage.com/blog-2/index.html

The previous bench was a Harbor Freight tool box with the wheels removed and some wood spacers bringing the top (a solid core door) to the height I like (37"). I liked that as a work bench, but the HF box isn't as deep as a full bench (30", in this case), so there was wasted space behind it. Cutting up a damaged 9-drawer Equipto cabinet gave be a full 24" of storage depth.

The open cabinet attached to the HF box is a HF cabinet they sell as an accessory.

Here's the old one:

And here's the new one:

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #4844
xCOYOTEx

Wow, that is awesome. Thank you for the reply, your shop is beautiful.
From your posts, I see you like to do stuff cheap. How expensive was the butcher block top for your bench? I love how that laid out and the look of it.
xCOYOTEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #4845
wasfast

It would appear that the hitch receiver concept didn't work out? New vice is permanent to the bench.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #4846
WWShop

Jack, sorry if this has been asked, but do you ever wish you had a floor drill press?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #4847
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCOYOTEx View Post
Wow, that is awesome. Thank you for the reply, your shop is beautiful.
From your posts, I see you like to do stuff cheap. How expensive was the butcher block top for your bench? I love how that laid out and the look of it.
I just googled their 95"x1-1/2" butcher block, and it's $139. So, somewhere in that neighborhood. Sometimes they have scuffed or seconds on sale for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
It would appear that the hitch receiver concept didn't work out? New vice is permanent to the bench.
Well, I still like the idea. And I've still got one receiver in place. But I ended up permanently mounting two bench grinders and three vises -- partly because I got a deal on the vises. So, there isn't much I need to swap in or out, at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWShop View Post
Jack, sorry if this has been asked, but do you ever wish you had a floor drill press?
I haven't yet. I deliberately don't have that drill press mounted to the bench so that I can turn it and/or nudge it out for long stock. So far, that's worked fine for me. I don't miss having a floor mounted model -- but I'm sure that need varies for different guys who do different types of work.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #4848
stonesg

Quote:

I haven't yet. I deliberately don't have that drill press mounted to the bench so that I can turn it and/or nudge it out for long stock. So far, that's worked fine for me. I don't miss having a floor mounted model -- but I'm sure that need varies for different guys who do different types of work.
For what it's worth, I squatted for years in a friends garage who had a full floor model and I just moved to a new house with an actual garage (almost exactly the size of Jack's but no where NEAR as nice....) and found a nice bench DP for a good price. I've used it several times now and as I never had to move the table down lower than bench height on the floor DP at my buddies place, nor out of the way for something large, I haven't noticed the difference.

The only thing I'm jonesing for now is a nice cross slide vise. I think that's probably more important that room under the quill.

TG
stonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #4849
31 Chevy

Jack,

I don't remember where I originally found your garage but I eventually found your thread here, I didn't go through all of the pages but certainly a good chunk of them. Great work!

You mentioned SketchUp a few times (I had never heard of it) but I went and looked it up, ultimately downloaded it and started messing around. I am pretty tech savvy so I like to think I got the hang of it pretty quickly but it is certainly clunky at first.

Anyway, one of the really cool aspects of your garage (imo) is the fold down tables. So I took the liberty of drawing the wood one up in SketchUp. I made a few changes but everything should be to the scale of the drawing you posted on your garage website.

For anyone interested: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...1-5d3a55020781

You can download an extension for SketchUp called Builder and it will also estimate prices for you. The build should cost ~$47 according to the extension.

Keep up the great work, I love all of the updates.
31 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #4850
rharman

Jack,

Just curious if/how that Ikea rolling 3-tier cart worked out for you. I've been considering one for some time and noticed the price has come down about $20.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #4851
erniebahr

I feel as though I have made it through my rights of initiation. I have been a member of this forum since January but only recently learned of the famed 12-gauge garage. I have been working through every post of this thread over the past three weeks. It has been quite a journey. I will now need to fuel my daily vicarious garage fix with the other famed garages.

Jack I know you have heard all of this before (I have read it many times). At the risk of sounding redundant, your work and willingness to share it with us is inspiring. I have been looking at ways to set up my garage for the past year since we moved into our new (to us) house and I will definitely use some things I discovered here. Thank you again for sharing with us.

I do have one question for you. In one of your posts you showed a Hossfeld bender that you had acquired. I do not remember seeing any other posts showing what you used it for or how you liked it. I picked up a #2 several months ago and it has become one of the most used items in my shop. I have used it for many of my custom tool racks.

I will soon start a garage thread to document my own garage journey. Funny, for a long time I thought I was weird for spending so much time in my garage. I have found my kind of people.

erniebahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #4852
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Chevy View Post
I don't remember where I originally found your garage but I eventually found your thread here, I didn't go through all of the pages but certainly a good chunk of them. Great work!

You mentioned SketchUp a few times (I had never heard of it) but I went and looked it up, ultimately downloaded it and started messing around. I am pretty tech savvy so I like to think I got the hang of it pretty quickly but it is certainly clunky at first.

Anyway, one of the really cool aspects of your garage (imo) is the fold down tables. So I took the liberty of drawing the wood one up in SketchUp. I made a few changes but everything should be to the scale of the drawing you posted on your garage website.

For anyone interested: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...1-5d3a55020781

You can download an extension for SketchUp called Builder and it will also estimate prices for you. The build should cost ~$47 according to the extension.

Keep up the great work, I love all of the updates.
That's cool! I still haven't gotten a handle on sketch-up -- or working from plans, if I'm honest with myself -- but I can see the appeal of it. I'm glad you put in the cross-piece to hold the legs at the right distance. My floor chocks annoy me every time I look at them (or sweep the floor and see stuff get caught up around them). One of these days, I'll put in the right piece and knock them out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharman View Post
Jack,

Just curious if/how that Ikea rolling 3-tier cart worked out for you. I've been considering one for some time and noticed the price has come down about $20.
I still use it. Still like it. In a small shop, I don't use it all that often, but I keep a few things on it ready to go, and it's useful for that. On big jobs, it gets cleaned out and put to more use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniebahr View Post
I feel as though I have made it through my rights of initiation. I have been a member of this forum since January but only recently learned of the famed 12-gauge garage. I have been working through every post of this thread over the past three weeks. It has been quite a journey. I will now need to fuel my daily vicarious garage fix with the other famed garages.

Jack I know you have heard all of this before (I have read it many times). At the risk of sounding redundant, your work and willingness to share it with us is inspiring. I have been looking at ways to set up my garage for the past year since we moved into our new (to us) house and I will definitely use some things I discovered here. Thank you again for sharing with us.

I do have one question for you. In one of your posts you showed a Hossfeld bender that you had acquired. I do not remember seeing any other posts showing what you used it for or how you liked it. I picked up a #2 several months ago and it has become one of the most used items in my shop. I have used it for many of my custom tool racks.

I will soon start a garage thread to document my own garage journey. Funny, for a long time I thought I was weird for spending so much time in my garage. I have found my kind of people.
Thank you! And welcome to the forum! I honestly haven't used the Hossfeld bender yet (mine's a #1). There's a learning curve I'm in for with it -- both of how to use the thing, and also learning if I'm missing any essential pieces. But I'm sure I'm going to hit a job where I'll use it. Recently, I came close to making a set of monkey bars for my kids' school. I got a Williams Lowbuck notcher second-hand in preparation for it. But then one of the school's lawyers shut me down before I could even start. Liability issues that seem stupid, but that I'd want in place if it was some stranger I'd never met making equipment my kids would trust their safety to. So I was frustrated, but I also understood.

I made the stage instead. I pulled out the Hossfeld initially for this, but then saw that it would be straightforward to do the bends with my trusty old roll bender:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 10-23-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #4853
erniebahr

Quote:
That's cool! I still haven't gotten a handle on sketch-up -- or working from plans, if I'm honest with myself -- but I can see the appeal of it. I'm glad you put in the cross-piece to hold the legs at the right distance. My floor chocks annoy me every time I look at them (or sweep the floor and see stuff get caught up around them). One of these days, I'll put in the right piece and knock them out of place.

I still use it. Still like it. In a small shop, I don't use it all that often, but I keep a few things on it ready to go, and it's useful for that. On big jobs, it gets cleaned out and put to more use.

Thank you! And welcome to the forum! I honestly haven't used the Hossfeld bender yet (mine's a #1). There's a learning curve I'm in for with it -- both of how to use the thing, and also learning if I'm missing any essential pieces. But I'm sure I'm going to hit a job where I'll use it. Recently, I came close to making a set of monkey bars for my kids' school. I got a Williams Lowbuck notcher second-hand in preparation for it. But then one of the school's lawyers shut me down before I could even start. Liability issues that seem stupid, but that I'd want in place if it was some stranger I'd never met making equipment my kids would trust their safety to. So I was frustrated, but I also understood.

I made the stage instead. I pulled out the Hossfeld initially for this, but then saw that it would be straightforward to do the bends with my trusty old roll bender:

Jack,

Your daughter looks great on that stage. Being a parent is the most important thing I will ever do.

If you contact Hossfeld (they are still in business) they can send you some printed information that shows how to set it up for different bends and materials. It also shows the various tooling for it. There are also some videos on YouTube they put out that show how to use it. I was a little intimidated the first couple of times but I really like it now. Here are a few of the racks I made for commonly used tools near the garage entrance. It really helps when I am working on something outside of the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 AM   #4854
erniebahr

I forgot to mention that the hooks were all made on the Hossfeld. For me that was better than using pegboard as I have full control on the spacing and can scale up for larger items like the pipe wrenches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 12:53 AM   #4855
gwellwood

Hossfeld Bender #2 Manual/Catalog
Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #4856
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Cleaned up. Changed the oil. Bled the brakes. Reset the sway bars and shocks for a track day with no aero.

Taking the car out to Willow Springs next week.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:59 AM   #4857
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Looking great, Jack..

All the best for Willow Springs..

Regards

1/2 Cups Brake drum pot belly heater build.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=224963

Corporate Policy in the Shed Downunder on my weekly To Do List from now on and that is " include at least one trivial job on that list every week" .

*QST = Quality Shed Time.
**MOE = Moment Of Enlightenment.

***QFT = Quality Family Time..
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #4858
Brompty

I thought about your car recently in the light of several articles about the Singer Porsche Re-imagined cars. I think your car was ahead of the curve - bits taken from different eras to produce the car that you enjoy and now - it seems - so do many other people. I know it does not have the polished interior of the other cars, but presumably this is secondary for you.
Brompty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #4859
Aroberson77

Jack,

Saw your garage on popular mechanics, thanks for the inspiration. Nice car too, I love wide bodied 911s.
Aroberson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #4860
Thirdyfivepickup

I have a new place with an attached 2+ car garage. Space is going to be at a premium so I plan on stealing some of your ideas for my workspace. Really cool, well thought out garage!
Thirdyfivepickup is offline   Reply With Quote