Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Money2536

Default Money2536's "The Temporary Garage" Journal

My name is Matt. I'm detail oriented guy that lives just outside the largest retirement community in the country called The Villages in Central Florida. My life's dream of owning an M3 as my daily driver and a 911 GT3 as a weekend car has been realized. It's now time to work on the place that houses them.

So I'm starting to get inspired. We bought our house about two years ago. My prerequisites when buying a house were in this order:

1.) 3+ Car Garage
2.) Flat Lot
3.) No Trees

Well... I didn't get any of those. But here is the good news. My wife got the house she wanted, so she has to park outside. Oh, I get the cars I wanted! Please don't misconstrue this as complaining, I'm humbled and so thankful every time I walk out into the garage. Even if all I have is a lowly two-car. At least it's a little over sized at 22' D X 24' W with 10' ceilings and an 18' door.

The plan is to get this one dialed in "relatively" inexpensively and learn what not to do. I'm calling this "The Temporary Garage" because it will become my wife's parking spot when I build the monster addition that I am planning.

The garage set-up I have now includes the stuff I had in my previous home and rental. Although it's not bad, I want a more finished design. I had the floors done about 8 months ago with a metal epoxy system that turned out to be a disaster. From 25 feet away, it looks great. When you get a little closer you'll notice the mess. It's a brownish, yellowish, pinkish, potential ACL tearing pile of yuck. Look closely at the photos, and you'll see what I'm saying.

So here is the preliminary plan that I'll be doing over the next few months:

• Flooring Change
  • Paint
  • Base Board and Attic Ladder Clean Up
  • 5.1 Surround
  • Cabinets
  • Metal Prints of My Current and Former Cars
  • Overall Reorganization

This is how it looks 99% of the time. It's a constant battle to keep the wife's and kid's crap out of "my" garage. Luckily I'm medically diagnosed obsessive compulsive, so I'm up for the challenge.

My son is allowed his bike and scooter. At 3, he has a ridiculous sense of direction and ability to steer things. I actually never worry about him hitting my cars. I'm afraid my 4 month old daughter won't be as good.

Oh the floor...How I hate thee, let me count the ways. What a waste of money. $3,500 down the drain. This floor is barely a year old.

The brown areas are supposed to look like the grain of aluminum. Well it looks much more like poo.

Yeah...

Most everything but the TV/detailing stuff will be up for sale soon (cheap) if you're local.

Oh, fans and speakers are staying.

Lights will be upgraded. I'm not sure to what, but I know it's going to be bright. I also need to fix the trim and paint the attic ladder cover.

Luckily the garage is a rather over-sized two car.

Needless to say the garbage can won't be going in my garage addition, but I don't have anywhere else to put it now.

The equipment will be going in one of my new cabinets. I'll have to run some new wiring.

This is going to move over to the right wall. I really wish Griot would make the Gallon shelves again. I just ordered some others to see if they will match decently. I'll post up later on. When I move the racks, I'm going to order a few spray bottle racks.

These Air King "Quiet" version 24" Fans are awesome! I'll do a write about these soon.

All of this stuff is going to have to find a new home when the cabinets come. I don't use the wanna be compressor very often, so it will go in the crawl space. The buckets will go in the cabinets and the pressure washer I'm not sure about.

This whole thing will disappear in favor of the bottle racks. Most of this stuff will fit in the cabinets or go in the attic. I'll have about ten inches of space on the sides of the cabinets, so I'll probably hang the ladder and brooms there. We'll see how it looks.

Rubbermaid Track System:

Testing moving stuff around. I decided to order the 48" wide X 80" tall cabinets to flank the array to fit the buckets, jacks, leaf blower, etc.

I've evolved over the years, but I think I've owned every single thing in the Griot's garage catalog at one point or another.

Gotta have TV, Sound, Wifi, Blu-Ray, DVR, Apple TV, and Sat in the garage. I'll probably be ditching the Klipsch Outdoor speakers in favor of something that sounds better.

I had these in my home Crossfit gym that I sold because I much prefer actually going to the gym rather than working out at home. That was an expensive lesson.

I purposely bought these Klipsch due to their efficiency and ability to rip your face off. I need something that sounds a little better for the garage.

Playing with somewhere to put the jacks.

My very scientific cabinet design. As you can see, I'm very efficient on AutoCad.

Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited by Money2536; 12-05-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Money2536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Mpower5266

Default Re: Money2536's "The Temporary Garage" Journal

I think the garage and cars look great as is, I cant imagine what you could do to make it better.

My Basement Garage Thread
Mpower5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
bonecrrusher

I want to see the cars!

Nice looking plan!

Garage 2.0 - Triple build:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=276996

2005 Chevrolet Corvette
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevrolet SS
bonecrrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
dubber

Sounds and looks like a great plan thus far. Little ideas and space savings epiphany's are my favorite as a garage evolves. It must be a little bit of a challenge dealing with that cement block wall? The proportions of your garage are great, a real bonus. I had a 2014 750i parked in my garage last night and i wasn't able to actually walk around it. Mine is only 20 deep so those extra couple feet mean whatever vehicle your wife has will still allow her ample room to walk around (in the future). I used Excel to plan my layout in my new garage, might be another non-technical option for you.

BTW i've enjoyed your rennlist threads. Very cool I'm a big Porsche fan as well. Just checked out the museum this past summer.

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI

Last edited by dubber; 12-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
ajohno

I think it looks great now.
Can't wait to see it all finished with your new lay out.
ajohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
BearsFan315

Looks Great . . .

Where's the Tools ?@? all that room, Plenty of Car Detailing Items, but NO TOOLS ?@?
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
sean Buick 76

Thanks for sharing, the garage looks good! Just ignore the floor and set your eyes on the prize (your future garage)!

I also have an ugly floor, due to a previous owner of the house... But like you I am building my dream shop so I am just ignoring the floor for now LOL.

Lets see some pics of the vehicles!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...8537&showall=1
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
doojus

Looks great as is.

What's the brand of that coil for your air hose? Looking for something similar.
doojus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
Looks Great . . .

Where's the Tools ?@? all that room, Plenty of Car Detailing Items, but NO TOOLS ?@?
Ha...ha... The Craftsman tool box and workbench are full of tools. I'm holding off on compressed air until I build my addition.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by doojus View Post
Looks great as is.

What's the brand of that coil for your air hose? Looking for something similar.
I'm not sure of the brand. It's too short. I bought it from Home Depot years ago. I would buy one of these if I were you.

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/hose-reels.html#reel-rt
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Sounds and looks like a great plan thus far. Little ideas and space savings epiphany's are my favorite as a garage evolves. It must be a little bit of a challenge dealing with that cement block wall? The proportions of your garage are great, a real bonus. I had a 2014 750i parked in my garage last night and i wasn't able to actually walk around it. Mine is only 20 deep so those extra couple feet mean whatever vehicle your wife has will still allow her ample room to walk around (in the future). I used Excel to plan my layout in my new garage, might be another non-technical option for you.

BTW i've enjoyed your rennlist threads. Very cool I'm a big Porsche fan as well. Just checked out the museum this past summer.
Yeah, the extra few feet makes it much more tolerable for now. Otherwise I would have held off on buying some many cars and built the garage first.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Money2536

Default Swisstrax Flooring

Cyber Monday always gets me. I pulled the trigger on flooring a little early. After learning what a nightmare it was going to be to grind the epoxy off the floor in order to do tile, I decided to do something else.

I talked to Scotty @LegacyIndustrial about fixing my current epoxy floor. It was going to cost another roughly $5 a foot to add to the stuff already on the floor.

So I started researching other options. I played Volleyball in college and played on many "Sport Court" plastic floors. I always hated them. That is one of the many reasons I have never considered a plastic floor.

So I stumbled on Tanner Foust's garage that talked about his 100% recycled, rubber floor tiled floor. I thought that sound interesting, so I looked up the company. I found some YouTube videos of some installs. The company was call Swisstrax. Honestly, I had never heard of them.

http://swisstrax.com/

So I decided, I wanted to do the rubber tiles on the entire garage floor. I figured it would be the best solution. It would eliminate the plastic feel, top my hideous floor, and help make it less slippery.

I was pumped. I called them first thing on Monday to learn more about it. The sales pros they have are very good. I explained what I was looking to accomplish:

1.) I hate the feel of plastic floors, so the rubber interested me.
2.) I don't want some goofy white and blue and purple floor that guys seem to like for some reason.
3.) I don't want a floor sliding around all over the place.

The girl talked me out of doing a complete rubber floor. She said the tiles are great, but the connections of the tiles are also rubber. They flex when turning your wheels due to the rubber on rubber of the tires. So I was deflated.

She said, "Listen Matt. You need to understand that our product is different." I thought, "Yeah right, that's what everyone says." She promised based on my 15 minute dissertation on what I wanted that the RibTrax Polypropylene material is perfect for me. She also told me all about the deal of the day:

$3.96 per sq. ft. and free shipping! (Oh boy, the wife's not going to like this one.)

http://swisstrax.com/ribtrax-garage-tile.php

So I hadn't put much thought into what the floor was going to look like. I just knew I don't want some goofy colors, no orange or yellow or blue. I said I wanted black. She said that was a bad idea. The black shows dirt much like black car. She did say that she has had a good experience doing a black border.

So I conceded on doing a little design with a Black outline and Slate Grey tiles. Then I came up with the idea of adding the Rubber black tiles in front of my future workbench. They are shown in red.

Install was super easy.

My trial Saber Magnum cabinet showed up on the same day.

Slate Grey

I backed the beasts out of the garage.

Bye, bye crappy waste of money.

My 3 year-old loves helping in the garage.

Good parenting...

Nice Crocs.

Designated tile stomper.

Can't leave out Miss Baby.

Short attention span.

These are the Rubber Ribtrax.

Done for the night. Cuts tomorrow. The GT3 does not stay outside...ever!

Simple table saw with a wood cutting blade works like a charm.

The boys are anxious waiting to test out the new floor.

Done! Install took me about 4 hours. I'll take some better photos this weekend.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
classicJackets

Wow. That looks awesome.
Love the shots of your cars. They're simply stunning!
classicJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
zkling

Awesome place. Love the blue color on the Porsche.

"I'd rather have 1 or 2 quality tools, than a drawer full of crap." - crewchief888
zkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
E12-535iTurbo

Awesome cars and awesome garage. The only downside of such new cars is that you don't have anything to tinker with and you don't need much tools.
E12-535iTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Joe13

Look great! The info on Swiistrax is awesome too, I hadn't heard of the company before.
Joe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
bonecrrusher

Hmmm - you having me reconsider my Porcelain tile that I wanted to do.

I bet the UPS guy hated delivering all of those boxes of flooring!

What year is your GT3?

Garage 2.0 - Triple build:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=276996

2005 Chevrolet Corvette
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevrolet SS
bonecrrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
budmanm3

Floor looks good. Glad you found a solution you could use.

Nice and clean
Old 12-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
Hmmm - you having me reconsider my Porcelain tile that I wanted to do.

I bet the UPS guy hated delivering all of those boxes of flooring!

What year is your GT3?
The Swisstrax is a very pleasant surprise, but I'll be doing Porcelin tile in my dream garage addition.

My GT3 is a 2014. It is better than I could have imagined.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by E12-535iTurbo View Post
Awesome cars and awesome garage. The only downside of such new cars is that you don't have anything to tinker with and you don't need much tools.
That's why I'm always ordering aftermarket parts. Akrapovic Evolution exhaust and RKP front lip are in transit for the M3. Next up will be Awron gauge and downpipes. Oh and 15-20 detail every six months or so. I always have some to mess with in the garage.