Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
onething

Default The 30" Flame

What happens when you have a plan, a dream, or a goal, and you let someone shut it down? Well, here’s the saga of The 30” Flame . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2237.JPG (92.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by onething; 02-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
onething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
onething

Default Re: The 30" Flame

After discovering GJ in January of ’11, I came up with a plan that spring to build a lean-to shed on the back of my shop, but not a typical one. Olsenism had already infected me, so it had to be different. Jack’s shed had a curvy roof, and mine was going to have a curved wall! A tool shed with a curved wall? Stoopid 12GG!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlsenShed.JPG (118.3 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by onething; 02-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
onething

It was going to match the curve of the sidewalk on the outer perimeter of the footprint and use old-school corrugated barn tin on the roof and walls. I had time off scheduled, materials lists from my vendors, and the money stashed away. I made all kinds of plans and went to see the City for a permit. I was told, “You can’t have a building with metal walls, and the only metal roof allowed without a variance is standing seam.”

Rather than argue that my MD’s new office building has a façade of oxidized iron or the newest restaurant in the downtown renovation has faux-rust on the corrugated tin roof, I rolled over. I called a portable building contractor, spent the same amount of money for a perfectly good shed that was erected in about an hour by a professional crew. It does what it is supposed to do, it was a treat watching an experienced three-man crew work as a team, and I have plenty of room to store all the stuff that was in the plastic building next to it, but it burns my butt every time I look out the window.

It reminds me of what my old friend used to say, “You know what burns my butt?” He’d hold his hand behind his butt, and say, “A flame about this high!”

Last edited by onething; 02-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
onething

There is good in every experience, and this is no exception:

1. With encouragement from JC and Breeze, I tried my first hand-lettered sign.

2. I used flex-base for the floor. It is like gravel only smaller and tends to bind to itself so less tracking and moving around. (see pics below)

3. Like I said before, it is a constant reminder of what compromise does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0773.JPG (89.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0775.JPG (64.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
onething

So as you can see in the photos below, I hung 2x4s on the tubing to give me something to attach storage hooks and pegboard and started filling it up.

I also rigged a Team Cheap Bastard drain system to catch all the drippings from my oil change bucket and such. The orange tub in the corner stores all the gallon jugs until I take them to be recycled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0777.JPG (66.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0776.JPG (68.1 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by onething; 02-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
onething

Before somebody asks, the black rectangles in the pics cover incorrect dates on the photos. The plastic building now holds all the Christmas decorations. I used to have to climb into the attic in November and January for the wife. Now she just walks out to her building and all is calm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0769.JPG (95.1 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by onething; 02-08-2012 at 02:02 PM.