Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
rdougan

Default Townhouse garage in The Netherlands

Hey folks.

I've been lurking at all fantastic garages here over the past few months. It's a great source of inspiration for our project.

I'm from Northern Ireland but currently live in Haarlem, Netherlands. Our house has 3 floors: ground floor with garage and large space at the rear, 2nd floor with living/kitchen, toilet and garden. And 3rd floor with bedrooms and a bathroom.

Here is a few pictures from when we my wife and I bought the house last November:

Front of the house:

Garage and large room at the rear:

Living area, kitchen:

Garden:

And the floor plans:

The ground floor has always been some kind of business/garage, so it has always been cold and completely separate.

Our plans are to properly insulate the garage and add three rooms: a toilet, a workshop and utility room. Then at the back have a large living area and kitchen. There will be another staircase installed at the back of the house as well. And then some roof lights above the kitchen (going into the garden). The spaces will be divided by a large glass wall with a glass door.

We both love cars and motorcycles, and I really love the idea of making the garage part of the living space. So the garage and kitchen/living area will be styled similar and have the same flooring.

I started the work just after Christmas, and have progressed nicely. I'm a software architect, but like to think I'm decent at a few manual trades (maybe form growing up on a farm) - so I'm doing the majority of the work myself.

I'll start off with the plans and 3D drawing of what we envision:

We originally were talking to an Architect, but we ended up creating all the plans ourselves.

More coming soon..

Last edited by rdougan; 03-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
dubber

Default Re: Townhouse garage in The Netherlands

Welcome! thats a great place you have there. The garage is awesome, looks like you could park two cars deep.

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
rdougan

So first up was removing all the existing crap from the garage. There was a built in storage area which had to be removed, along with the old plastered roof. Turns out it was so old, that there was no plasterboard. It was a combination of plaster, metal and stones. It was absolutely horrible to remove.

Removing the storage:

I also had to remove the old utility cabinets from the area. Once all that was removed, I took to the walls and roof to remove the old plaster.

Proper demolition zone:

I had to brick up an old window (from when the room wasn't there, probably a garden out there where the red room now is):

Next up was the staircase design. I took to sketch up and tried figuring it out. This is what I came up with:

The stairs start in the red room, go up, turn around the wall, then up again. 3m high ceiling. The staircase will basically be in the old kitchen, so we will have 6m high ceilings when walking up the staircase.

But first, we had to room the old kitchen and cut a hole in the roof/floor.

Ripped out the kitchen:

Installed a temporary cheap Ikea kitchen and blocked off the existing hole for now:

Then it was time to make the hole in the wall and roof of the garage. I hired a builder for this as I didn't want to make any structural changes to the house by myself. But in retrospect I should have done it myself.

Installing new joists:

Hole cut:

Some of the wall in the red room being removed. This is where the stairs will start:

Almost complete:

I then got the scaffold from the builder so removing the roof would be easier. Previously, I was removing it on a crappy step ladder... horrible. Scaffold made it much easier, but still very dirty. I don't have any completed pictures, but I tried cleaning up every evening. In the end it took me about a week just to remove the roof.

The black joists holding the roof. The house used to be a blacksmiths, back in the day. So I think they painted it black so any smoke from fires wouldn't be noticeable. It is definitely painted, not burnt.

I work from home for a company in California, so thankfully I can spend a lot of time during the day working on the renovations. Unfortunately it means working ridiculously late into the night, but it is worth it..
Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
dubber

What kind of car is that? A silvia?

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Welcome! thats a great place you have there. The garage is awesome, looks like you could park two cars deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
What kind of car is that? A silvia?
Thanks! Yeah, you can easily have 2 cars deep and plenty of space left for motorcycles. But adding the rooms at the side means less room, but the rooms are needed.

And yup, Nissan 200SX (240SX in the Americas). S14.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
rdougan

Next up was the walls for the 3 rooms. Didn't take too long for the main structure to pop up:

During this time I had to redo all plumbing downstairs. The gas boiler is in the back room and there was a combination of old heating pipes, old gas pipes, and new gas pipes. A ton of things that have just been left over the years when they were replaced.

In total, there were 2 heating pipes going the full length of the house, and also going up to the top floor for the radiators in one of the bedrooms. Before, the pipes were all exposed, but now they will be all hidden in the wall/floor. There was also a hot water pipe replaces, cold water, and the gas pipe. Right now they are all just going along the wall, but they will be covered soon enough.

I don't have many pictures of this. Plumbing wasn't too difficult. I took advantage of the flexible pipe for the heating pipes.

Pipes hidden in the roof:

You can see some of the old pipes here, running along the roof:

Without thinking, I had removed some plaster to expose the original brickwork. I was hoping that they would look good enough to leave exposed in my workshop. Unfortunately they were not very pretty at all, all over the place. So I had to bond the wall, making use of some plasterboard to fill the space.

All the walls where the staircase was being installed were also bonded up. Unfortunately there is no straight wall in the house. Both vertically, and horizontally. Nothing is at a right angle to another either, which is going to make the staircase quite complicated.

Another old window blocked up. This little square room used to be a WC in the original house. The house was built in 1906.

Lots of bonding, trying to smooth the walls out. Some electrics and plumbing left in this picture, but they were replaced soon after:

Some of the plumbing from the boiler. The boiler will eventually be moved right up against this red wall on the right, so make more space in the kitchen/living area:

Along with that, I got the first door hung, which was nice:

We were originally concerned that the angled wall in the garage would make the space feel much smaller, but now that it was up, we got a feel for the space and it still feels massive. Joy!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
rdougan

Next up was the stairs. I've never built a staircase before, so thankfully my father-in-law who is a retired builder came over for a week and helped out. He had never done an American style staircase before, and because of the angles and 'simple' design, it was quite a challenge.

First strings being test fit. The floor will be lifted 17cm int he future for underfloor heating:

Next up was the steps. The tread has no lip and the riser was at a 9o angle, so it made things a bit complicated. We figured it out though and glued and screwed everything together:

Clamping:

Installing the first few steps:

Next up was the 3 corner steps and their frames. How we ended up doing it probably wouldn't be the regular way, but it seemed to work well in the end.

And after 2 days we managed to get the first corner and all steps finished:

The second corner was a bit more complicated as there was no supporting wall yet, so we had to build the frame for wall in the toilet, workshop and then the frame for the stairs. The structure looks crazy, almost like weird art. It was difficult to go any conventional way though as the walls were crazy, and the design was different.

And a picture looking 'into' the toilet from my workshop:

From above:

Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
rdougan

Last week I received the delivery of insulation for the roof and walls. Standard glasswoll for the interior walls, and then a combination of insulation and plasterboard for the roof.

This week I finished off the remaining 2 door frames and put plasterboard up on one side:

I also started on doing the plumbing for the new toilet. I needed to remove the existing sewer pipe, and run a new one into the toilet at the right gradient.

Old pipe..

Removed:

I also took the time to brick up around an old drain. I guess because it was always a garage, it was never properly blocked off. So I built a wall around it and I'll put a metal lid on it. There will be access via my workshop (the space under the stairs, behind the toilet).

Not so great brickwork..

And then finally the toilet cistern installed. It is hidden behind the wall, which is nice. Never have this kind of design at home. And I rarely seen it in California either when I lived therehttps://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/1926062_10152322523252922_1392986701_o.jpg

(ignore the 40mm drain pipe. It is temporary for the temp kitchen.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
rdougan

Some pictures of my toys which will eventually get some love again when everything is done.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Sunbimmer

Very interesting this. Brings back a lot of memories of things I will NOT EVER do again in my life .
Welcome to GJ and thanks for sharing from Limburg .

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
dubber

Those nissan's are sweet. My cousin had a 240sx that i used to love drifting out the back end. And amazing work with your project!

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
tpond

Very nice!
tpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
Hopalong604

Wow nice toys! You'll have fun with them in your garage for sure!
Hopalong604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #14
Bib Overalls

Enjoying this a lot.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #15
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Thanks posting, very nice.

1/2 Cups Brake drum pot belly heater build.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=224963

Corporate Policy in the Shed Downunder on my weekly To Do List from now on and that is " include at least one trivial job on that list every week" .

*QST = Quality Shed Time.
**MOE = Moment Of Enlightenment.

***QFT = Quality Family Time..
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
MagKarl

What a great project! Thanks for posting all the pics.
MagKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
TiFJ

Wow, very cool looking space. Looks like a ton of work!
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Titanium Silver - Heavily Modded
TiFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
GrantT

Great looking space, first thing I thought was I hope he goes for a glass wall between the two spaces!
GrantT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
E12-535iTurbo

Nice! We can schedule a dutch garagejournal meet. We already got the address from your first post .
E12-535iTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
LCG

1906!

I'm following this.
LCG is offline   Reply With Quote