To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

2-Post Lift - Need Advice for Motor Lead to Wall Socket - 220V 30A

Vet65te

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
72
Location
Prescott AZ
Just getting the final connections done on a Greg Smith 2-post lift and now need to find the right wire/cabling to connect the 220V pump motor to the wall receptacle, distance between the two around 48". The house and garage were built about 4 years ago and the lift location and wall receptacle were all planned from the start so that wall receptacle is 220V connected to a 30A circuit breaker. The lift does not come with a pigtail for that motor and that's what I'm looking for now. The motor data plate is listed as 2HP, 208-230VACm 1 PH. Any suggestions on what kinda wire/cabling to buy?
The wall recep has '4' slots if that helps. Yes, it's obvious I'm not an electrician.
Thanks,
Mike T - Prescott AZ
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

pattenp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
10,175
Location
Virginia - USA
Sounds like the existing outlet is a 14-30R. You can use a 14-30P (plug) on the 3 wire cord and not use the neutral prong of the plug. The lift should not require a neutral. The 6-30 is a three prong plug/outlet.
 

T_R

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
902
Location
Maine
I just hardwired my lift, no plug. It was easier for me. We have no code or inspection here. If you do, disregard my advice.
 

Falcon67

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
18,371
Location
Merkel, TX
Hardwired mine too, I can shut it off at the control or the panel either one. Didn't see much need for a cord/plug setup. 30A 10-3 run to the box, then the motor leads that came with the pump are like #14 LOL.

LiftPower.jpg
 
OP
V

Vet65te

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
72
Location
Prescott AZ
Went to the local Home Depot and bought a small roll of 12-3 (with ground) Romex, Type NM-B. Been a while since I handled this stuff and when I got home, realized the Romex is solid wire, not stranded. Okay or not okay? This solid core wire seems like it would be a bear to manipulate.
Thanks, MT
 
Last edited:

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
Sounds like the existing outlet is a 14-30R. You can use a 14-30P (plug) on the 3 wire cord and not use the neutral prong of the plug. The lift should not require a neutral. The 6-30 is a three prong plug/outlet.

Good catch. :thumbup:

I glossed right over the 4 prong outlet comment...

Went to the local Home Depot and bought a small roll of 12-3 (with ground) Romex, Type NM-B. Been a while since I handled this stuff and when I got home, realized the Romex is solid wire, not stranded. Okay or not okay? This solid core wire seems like it would be a bear to manipulate.
Thanks, MT

NM-b/Romex is not to be used for equipment cord whips. Nor with attachment plugs.

This is why i said you need cordage such as SJO cord.

Return it and buy some cordage.
 

lakeroadster

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
5,166
Location
Central Colorado
A plug or a kill switch, within arms reach, is a good idea.

Thanks for the replies and comments fella's :thumbup:

I've read a couple threads here where owners of lifts have had the controls fail ON when the lift is raising. Depending on when that happens it could be really bad.

So I updated the controls on my 2-post lift to include a kill switch.
_________________________________________________________________
Here was the design I came up with that uses an aluminum enclosure and a paddle switch. Both were found via amazon.com

The design replaces the existing hydraulic power unit electric control cover plate and bolts right on in its place.

This allows the lift micro switch and the paddle switch to be close together.



_________________________________________________________________
And here is the completed retrofit.

 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

02vito

Active member
Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Messages
40
Location
Colorado
Went to the local Home Depot and bought a small roll of 12-3 (with ground) Romex, Type NM-B. Been a while since I handled this stuff and when I got home, realized the Romex is solid wire, not stranded. Okay or not okay? This solid core wire seems like it would be a bear to manipulate.
Thanks, MT

NM-B cable is not intended for that type use. HD should also have SJO or SJOO stranded power cord by the foot. If not any electrical supply place will have it.

I recommend a local disconnect on or near the lift controls. In the event of a stuck switch [happened to me] you will be thankful you have it.
 
OP
V

Vet65te

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
72
Location
Prescott AZ
Checked and HD did offer the SO cordage but only as a mail-order not in their stores here in Prescott AZ. The good news was that the local Lowes did carry it so I picked up some 12/3 cabling and the lift is now wired correctly...thanks for all the help.
Regarding the comments about a quick disconnect/shutoff, one of my neighbors had such a situation happen to him with the exact same 2-post lift...released the 'UP' button and it kept on going. I believe he stopped it by throwing the circuit breaker switch. In my case, the wall socket is only 3' from the lift motor. Anyone see a problem with simply 'pulling the plug' if releasing the button didn't do the trick?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
 
Last edited:

Buckgnarly

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
7,674
Location
VT
Hardwired mine too, I can shut it off at the control or the panel either one. Didn't see much need for a cord/plug setup. 30A 10-3 run to the box, then the motor leads that came with the pump are like #14 LOL.

LiftPower.jpg

Is that switch breaking one leg of the 220?....looks like a good idea if so, may have to borrow that!
 

Scud67

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2014
Messages
331
Location
Metrowest Boston MA
Yup, I just installed a switch right above the motor that shuts off the power in the event that the "up" button sticks. Something that they probably should have as part of the lift anyway..... (my lift plugs in at the ceiling and the panel is too far away to get to in the event of an "emergency").
 

prostreetamx

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
222
Location
Las Vegas
You can get toggle and even decora switches in 2 pole versions and they still look the same on the front as a single pole version. I added a 2 pole switch on my 240v compressor since the factory rotary switch broke.
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
You can get toggle and even decora switches in 2 pole versions and they still look the same on the front as a single pole version. I added a 2 pole switch on my 240v compressor since the factory rotary switch broke.

When used as a motor disconnect, need to make sure snap switches are rated for the same or greater HP as the motor.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom