71cutty455
Well-known member
Hi all,
I closed on a new home about 3 weeks ago and need some advice and recommendations on sealing the garage floor and driveway. At some point in the future I may consider an epoxy floor for the garage but for now I would just like to get something down to protect from small oil/fluid spills as well as salt protection in the winter. I've been spending money left and right on new stuff for the house so price is definitely a factor, I don't want to go overboard. Also I'm in the process of fixing up my other home to sell so ease of application is also important because at this point I don't have the time or energy for a ton of prep - I don't want to do any grinding or etching.
Basically I want to do this cheap and easy!!!
The garage is a smaller (650 sq ft) 3 car and I've been considering using a densifier for the floor. My concerns are that it will not provide enough protection from fluid drips soaking in as one of my vehicles is older and occasionally likes to drip various fluids while parked. I see that there are densifiers with a waterproofer mixed in that may help but I believe that would cause issues with doing epoxy in the future. Would my best bet be to use a densifier then a topical sealer afterwards?
As far as the driveway does anyone see a problem with just using the Eagle brand acrylic oil (gloss) or water based (satin) sealers sold at the big box stores? They sure seem to meet the cheap and easy qualifications and they have pretty good reviews. They also have a silane/siloxane sealer in the same price range but I've heard that can react to the oil spills and make the stains permanent, is that true???
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
I closed on a new home about 3 weeks ago and need some advice and recommendations on sealing the garage floor and driveway. At some point in the future I may consider an epoxy floor for the garage but for now I would just like to get something down to protect from small oil/fluid spills as well as salt protection in the winter. I've been spending money left and right on new stuff for the house so price is definitely a factor, I don't want to go overboard. Also I'm in the process of fixing up my other home to sell so ease of application is also important because at this point I don't have the time or energy for a ton of prep - I don't want to do any grinding or etching.
Basically I want to do this cheap and easy!!!
The garage is a smaller (650 sq ft) 3 car and I've been considering using a densifier for the floor. My concerns are that it will not provide enough protection from fluid drips soaking in as one of my vehicles is older and occasionally likes to drip various fluids while parked. I see that there are densifiers with a waterproofer mixed in that may help but I believe that would cause issues with doing epoxy in the future. Would my best bet be to use a densifier then a topical sealer afterwards?
As far as the driveway does anyone see a problem with just using the Eagle brand acrylic oil (gloss) or water based (satin) sealers sold at the big box stores? They sure seem to meet the cheap and easy qualifications and they have pretty good reviews. They also have a silane/siloxane sealer in the same price range but I've heard that can react to the oil spills and make the stains permanent, is that true???
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
