To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Don't think I can get my grandads roll cab

texchappy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
267
Location
Lubbock, TX
I posted a couple of weeks ago about inheriting my granddad's Williams roll cab toolbox from the '60's. I'm back and we've rented a trailer for it and other things. However, I'm not sure we can load it! I'm disabled so that leaves my wife and young son to do it. Hope to figure it out but I've decided to be open to offers on it while we run our estate sale. Anybody in DFW area;)
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

cgrutt

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
8,565
That's too bad. Is weight the issue? Can you take the tools out of it before loading it on trailer?
 

KM223

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2015
Messages
543
Location
Las Vegas, NV
I wish I lived somewhere near you. I'd swing by and help you for sure! Maybe this post can serve as a "call out" for any GJ members willing to give a hand. Good luck!
 

Dirtydan69

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
847
Location
San Tan Valley, AZ
Call a flatbed towing service. They are used to moving big boxes all the time. If you call one and he doesn't know just move on to the next.
 

gdocktor3

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
5,419
Location
Connecticut
Take trailer off vehicle, chock tires really well, hook tow strap or chain to tool box and use vehicle to pull box up on trailer.
 
OP
T

texchappy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
267
Location
Lubbock, TX
It's a closed trailer so I don't think I can use the truck to get it up. Come-along is a good idea but I'm going to have to find one.
 

jakemac

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2013
Messages
9,035
Location
New England
Wait for a couple of big strapping guys (or gals) to show up to your sale and tell them you'll give them a discount if they help you load the boxes.

When you get home, offer the neighborhood teens some cash to help offload.
 

-Brent-

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
4,709
Location
Utah
I'd hire a couple day laborers or better yet put the word out to friends that you'll pay them for their help.
 
OP
T

texchappy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
267
Location
Lubbock, TX
Wait for a couple of big strapping guys (or gals) to show up to your sale and tell them you'll give them a discount if they help you load the boxes.

When you get home, offer the neighborhood teens some cash to help offload.

I'll keep an eye out but most folks so far have been elderly coming by.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

jd_1138

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
17,194
Location
NE Ohio
If you remove all the tools and the drawers that would make it much, much easier. Then use a come-a-long to get it on the trailer (assuming it has a ramp). Definitely want to use physics to load it -- and not grunt force.

If you need a toolbox, I'd definitely try to keep it because you won't get much for it if you sell it. And the money you do get for it won't be able to buy another box of the same caliber.
 

cgrutt

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
8,565
That looks like an old Snap On box wouldn't be surprised if it was made by same company. I have several of them, they are not too bad to move, esp. if empty. You can also lay it down and slide it on it's back if it makes it easier for you. If it has same slides as the Snap on box, you need to insert a couple of "tools" to get the retention clip past the catch on the drawer to remove it. The "tools" look like a couple of flat metal strips about 6-8" long and about 3/8" wide. They slide in between the drawer and drawer slide with the drawer open about 3" or so. Keep the tools in place and pull the drawer right out. If they aren't in the box you can use a couple of hacksaw blades in a pinch. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you.
 

cgrutt

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
8,565
BTW, you can also lay it down on a moving blanket and drag it up onto trailer if that makes it easier. Those boxes really aren't that heavy I'm sure if you can find a few volunteers they wouldn't have any problem with it. I wish I was close I'd definitely help but I'm in NY.
 
OP
T

texchappy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
267
Location
Lubbock, TX
That looks like an old Snap On box wouldn't be surprised if it was made by same company. I have several of them, they are not too bad to move, esp. if empty. You can also lay it down and slide it on it's back if it makes it easier for you. If it has same slides as the Snap on box, you need to insert a couple of "tools" to get the retention clip past the catch on the drawer to remove it. The "tools" look like a couple of flat metal strips about 6-8" long and about 3/8" wide. They slide in between the drawer and drawer slide with the drawer open about 3" or so. Keep the tools in place and pull the drawer right out. If they aren't in the box you can use a couple of hacksaw blades in a pinch. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you.

Good to know about the special tools and hacksaw blades. I'll look for it.
 

rhandwor

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
1,366
I would check if they is an area day labor people hang out for jobs. You could hire someone to help you.
 

cgrutt

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
8,565
Here's a quick video on getting the drawers out with a hacksaw blade. Note that the box on video has clip riveted onto the slide. The older boxes had a separate clip that pushed in from the front. They both do the same thing and drawers come out the same way. Good luck.

 

yhprum

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
1,430
Location
Brisbane Australia
I was moving house in Arizona, and had to relocate a mill/drill.
My wife had this idea. We went to a local place where the the landscapers eat, there were several trucks there.
Went in and asked them if they were interested in a quick job, we had about eight guys pick it up, put it on thier trailer and deliver to the new location.
 
OP
T

texchappy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
267
Location
Lubbock, TX
@cgrutt found tools like what you described. First go and it didn't release but I'll try some more in the morning.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom