To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Get rid of my 3 phase power???

DetroitDIESEL444

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
276
Greetings,
I bought my house 2 years ago, and it came with 200 amp single phase service and 220V 3 phase service :shocking:. It cost me 25 dollars a month to maintain service, so i shut the 3 phase off.

The power company wants to remove the meter now, since it has been off for over a year. I don't see in the immediate future a use for it, and to get it back would cost 150 and a permit from the city.

With that said, I am no machinist, the only things I ever see in the future would be a air compressor and maybe a welder. should I just plan on using single phase for these things? I don't know if its worth the extra cost to use 3 phase stuff (which ive found the used up front cost is way less)

What are your recommendations??
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Iroc-Z

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2006
Messages
720
Location
New Germany, MN
You will find all of people including my self that wish they could have 3 phase. But it doesn't sound like it will be of any use to you.
 

jerkyboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
120
Location
upstate NY
Greetings,
I bought my house 2 years ago, and it came with 200 amp single phase service and 220V 3 phase service :shocking:. It cost me 25 dollars a month to maintain service, so i shut the 3 phase off.

The power company wants to remove the meter now, since it has been off for over a year. I don't see in the immediate future a use for it, and to get it back would cost 150 and a permit from the city.

With that said, I am no machinist, the only things I ever see in the future would be a air compressor and maybe a welder. should I just plan on using single phase for these things? I don't know if its worth the extra cost to use 3 phase stuff (which ive found the used up front cost is way less)

What are your recommendations??

I'd dump it, your 200 amp service is plenty for your needs. Just curious, why was your house set up with 3 phase?
 

bobadame

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
1,124
This deserves a hearty YOU ****. I suppose if you don't use it though it makes no sense to pay for it.
 

Kevin54

MEMBER EMERITUS
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
29,341
Location
Urbana, Ohio
Man, some people have it and don't need it and others need it and don't have it. :lol:

If you don't have a need for it, and they want to pull the meter, you could probably hook it back up at a later date if need be unless the wires were pulled also. If you never plan on getting a mill or a lathe, then I would say have them pull the meter and save yourself $300/yr. If you get an air compressor, chance are that it will be 220 single phase anyways. Like I said though, if all they want to do is pull the meter for it, then go for it. If you ever decide to move, it could be a selling point to a car guy to have it.
 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
At $25 a month, it'll cost you 300 a year just to maintain it. If you had it reconnected right now, you'd still be ahead 150 dollars. I'd say leave it disconnected till you actually need 3 phase.
 

Terry454

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
106
Location
Illinois
I would think that "permit from the city" to reconnect would be a big stumbling block to reconnection. A lot of municipalities don't like the chance of commercial activities = 3-ph power, going on in residential neighborhoods.

It might depend on your economic situation. If the $300 a year will make a difference to your budget pull the plug. If it won't effect your lifestyle, I would keep it. Choice is yours though.

I too am curious as to what went on there that you have 3-ph power.
Terry
 

kbkna

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
339
Location
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
My buddy had the same situation.. Had the 3 phase to his welding shop but sold it to go work for a big company. Has kept the power and used it to supply air conditioner for his house. He claims he is saving money and has better equipment. I would love to have 3 phase!
 
OP
D

DetroitDIESEL444

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
276
Ok. I am not paying any maintenance on the 3 phase with the service turned off, I don't know why the power company wants the meter back.

Previous owner had a machine shop with a bridgeport and some lathes. He also had a full blown photo development lab with enlargers and stuff. All the machine shop stuff was gone before I got the house, but all the photography stuff was, which all went to scrap.
 

zuk123

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
957
Location
Houston TX via Chicago, Phoenix, LA, and San Diego
I don't know where the OP is located, but many older neighborhoods in Houston have 3 phase. It was needed when they first started putting in air conditioning.

I'd love to have it. I don't even have it at my shop in a commercial area. 3 cheap phase converters = $300 though, so economically, even if you were buying 3 phase tools, it might not make sense.

To anyone who passed up a cheap old 3 phase tool, next time buy it! VFD's or static phase converters are not much money and you will likely get a better, stronger tool for less money. (but if you are in the Houston area, buying at auction, don't. I don't want the competition! ;) )

zuk
 

EOC_Jason

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
11,388
Location
Bentonville, AR
Doesn't sound like you have a need for it, and unless you plan on replacing existing equipment (i.e. a three phase air compressor, three phase air conditioner, etc, etc) then it's probably not worth it to you.
 

LutzTD

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2011
Messages
3,673
Location
Lutz, Florida
At $25 a month, it'll cost you 300 a year just to maintain it. If you had it reconnected right now, you'd still be ahead 150 dollars. I'd say leave it disconnected till you actually need 3 phase.

yep, if you have no current plans I second this, wish I had this problem :) they wanted 8G's to install it at my place.
 

Richard D

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
1,925
Location
Texas City, between Houston and Galveston
Wow, we just finished installing a converter to run my 3 phase milling machine yesterday. Need another fo my drill press and big compressor. Keep it, you'll definitely need it if you get rid of it. Put the meter in your garage so they can't come take it when you are gone.
 

Terry454

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
106
Location
Illinois
Ok. I am not paying any maintenance on the 3 phase with the service turned off, I don't know why the power company wants the meter back.

Previous owner had a machine shop with a bridgeport and some lathes. He also had a full blown photo development lab with enlargers and stuff. All the machine shop stuff was gone before I got the house, but all the photography stuff was, which all went to scrap.

They want it back because so long as it is installed at your place they have to read it every month. Even though the meter reader is there for your single phase meter it costs them money to read the extra meter and keep the account on their books. They are putting out money for no income. They are required to save money for their shareholders or other customers, depending on the kind of utility they are -- investor owned or municipal.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

bczygan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
22,002
Location
DETROIT! Arsenal of Scrappers
Ask the power company if they just want the meter, or the whole service feed. If it is just the meter and they leave the meter box and feed, then it will be easy for future owners to get the service hooked back up. Probably not even a city permit needed, but rather, a hookup service fee to the utility. Great selling point and added value.
 
OP
D

DetroitDIESEL444

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
276
OK,
I'm actually in Kuwait right now so i dont know the exact details, but I am most likely having the meter removed becuase the house is undergoing renovation and it will be at least 2 years before its time to "tool up" with 3 phase equipment
 

fatboy99

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
908
Location
Indiana
Ok. I am not paying any maintenance on the 3 phase with the service turned off, I don't know why the power company wants the meter back.

Previous owner had a machine shop with a bridgeport and some lathes. He also had a full blown photo development lab with enlargers and stuff. All the machine shop stuff was gone before I got the house, but all the photography stuff was, which all went to scrap.

The utility company has to pay taxes for every meter installed whether your using power or not. Not sure if they have to wait a year of no use before they can remove it. I work at a gas company and they remove meter's after a year of non use.
 

Tscott

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
1,484
Location
Keystone Heights, FL.
The utility company has to pay taxes for every meter installed whether your using power or not. Not sure if they have to wait a year of no use before they can remove it. I work at a gas company and they remove meter's after a year of non use.

It's also difficult to detect problems with the service if its turned off (i.e. no one to call and tell you the powers out.). So if a service wire falls in a yard and is still hot, it can sit like that for ever if no one calls us so it's as much for safety as it is for saving money.

ZUK123 is correct as well, many older home have 3Ø simply because AC's back in the days needed it. Most of the homes around a lake in the north part of our service area have this as well. Although this may not be why the OP's house has it, it is not uncommon.

Tom
 

not8player

New member
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
2
Location
NYC
Why not Keep the 3 phase service and get rid of the singel phase service? Are the load centers near to each other?
 

mrb

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
3,734
Why not Keep the 3 phase service and get rid of the singel phase service? Are the load centers near to each other?

the 3ph is likely delta with no 120v.

I would maintain it if you think you might want it later. What would the cost be to turn it on and back off to reset the clock on the time its off? I could see them refusing to reconnect you 2 years from now...
 

malibu101

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
3,910
Location
Walnutport PA
the 3ph is likely delta with no 120v.

I would maintain it if you think you might want it later. What would the cost be to turn it on and back off to reset the clock on the time its off? I could see them refusing to reconnect you 2 years from now...
Yeah, never underestimate what the distributing utility can do.
They make their own rules, within some PUC guidelines, that best suits their needs and profits.

You have it now and it's unlikely they can take it away.
But once you give it back, you're at their mercy.

But again, like some have said, unless you really see the need for 3 phase now or in the future why pay for it.
Only you know that answer.
 

not8player

New member
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Messages
2
Location
NYC
the 3ph is likely delta with no 120v.

I would maintain it if you think you might want it later. What would the cost be to turn it on and back off to reset the clock on the time its off? I could see them refusing to reconnect you 2 years from now...

Didn't think of that most of the 3 phase system I have dealt with have been 3 phase, 4 wire Y, 120/208V.
 

StaggeringGoat

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
758
Location
Oregon
I've had 3 phase service at my shop for about 3 years now and I still don't use it for anything. Honestly I wish I could get 240v instead of 208v. And yeah, they wanted a huge deposit before they would turn it on.
 

jonahbones

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
103
Location
southern continental landmass
lots of uses aside from the garage ! spa pump, all heat pumps - refrigeration or hvac. 3 phase is more efficient so although initial equipment cost may be higher running costs are lower.
I would be finding some good deals on commercial fridges freezers etc and put the 3 phase to good use :)
 

03protege

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,104
Location
Louisiana
Can you pay for a few months and stop service so you get another year?

I know that is probably the most selfish option but if you think you need it in two years it may be the best.
 

Bigdukaaa

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
196
Location
New York
Don't know much about dealing with meters for electric. Growing up with my father running a commercial plumbing company I remembered that he would have to pay for water meters. My thought process says if I pay for it or the previous owner paid for it then its mine right. Why would they take it, to resell.
 

Terry454

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
106
Location
Illinois
Don't know much about dealing with meters for electric. Growing up with my father running a commercial plumbing company I remembered that he would have to pay for water meters. My thought process says if I pay for it or the previous owner paid for it then its mine right. Why would they take it, to resell.

Electric meters almost always belong to the poser company. The consumer pays for the service, delivery, and power used -- but the meter itself belongs to the utility.

Where I live the water meter also belongs to the municipality. We have a municipal water system. I believe the gas meter belongs to the gas company as well.
Terry
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom