To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

How should I mount / enclose this set up (transformer and relay) on wall?

Vinko

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
5,829
Location
Los Angeles
Got a transformer and relay wired into this clock. Right now parts are bolted two to the wall to left of the clock. They power shop bells.

attachment.php



I'd like to enclose it with a steel or polycarb enclosures. There's some different options. Maybe something I'm not thinking of? What do you think?

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 11.00.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 11.00.56 PM.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
V

Vinko

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
5,829
Location
Los Angeles
No pics?
Transformers like air to keep cool.
CD

Sorry -- fixed the photos.

I embedded current setup and attached a screen shot from McMaster-Carr of what I'm thinking of using. I've seen a few older transformers in our place that had some sort of "backing plate". Maybe made out of something synthetic. Like a bakelite or plastic or coated cardboard (so it doesn't rest against the steel backing). I'll take a photo of that too. I don't know if it's a "best practice".
 
OP
V

Vinko

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
5,829
Location
Los Angeles
Why do you want to enclose this?

If you see photo, it's messy, it's (somewhat) unavoidably in a high-traffic area. It's possible that the stuff would be bumped against or something might fall on it. I just want to protect this assembly and keep it as tidy and free of interference (intentional or otherwise -- and almost certainly in all cases it would be unintentional).
 

ard

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2015
Messages
4,391
Location
Sierra Foothills... California
Id drop it into a box.

Technically, you want to segregate 120VAC from the low voltage wiring- have one side in the interior for 120, the other side for low.
 

cybrdyke

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2014
Messages
3,472
Location
USA
How 'bout an electonic box instead of an electrical box. You can find those with louvers or vents cut into them. At least it will be able to breathe...
CD
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Bert_

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Messages
9,947
Location
NW Iowa
That little transformer won't get warm enough to cause any issues. I'd probably just go with a screw cover junction box cause they're cheap and I doubt you will need inside very often. Hard to judge from a picture but I'd guess an 8x8x4 would be a nice size.
 
OP
V

Vinko

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
5,829
Location
Los Angeles
That little transformer won't get warm enough to cause any issues. I'd probably just go with a screw cover junction box cause they're cheap and I doubt you will need inside very often. Hard to judge from a picture but I'd guess an 8x8x4 would be a nice size.

Thanks. Yes, about 8x8x6 is what I figured. I noticed on some others we've got similarly mounted (though they're no longer actively hooked up to anything), that there's a layer of something between the back of the metal box and the transformer. Desirable to do it this way? Or doesn't matter?
 

rharman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
9,255
Location
SoCal
I'd consider mounting it with short spacers on the screws so it stands off the box a bit. A louvered cover if you're really worried. Or, ventilate a blank with a few small holes. Won't take much.
 

dogdog

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
12,711
Not sure about that transformer. doesn't that SSR needed a heatsink?
 

Mr. T

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
636
Location
Central PA
That makes my eye twitch a little just looking at the picture. Maybe throw in an extra five bucks for a terminal strip to help clean things up a bit?
 

htmdude57

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
175
Location
Hudson Valley, New York
I'm no expert, but I believe ard is right about separating the 120v from the low voltage wiring. That's why the big box stores sell door bell transformers that have the 120v wires sticking out a nub on one side that can fit into a knock out on your main panel.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom