To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

I think I am feeling an electrical current in my bandsaw table

Doc Fluty

Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2017
Messages
7
Hello

I have noticed that while touching my new bandsaws table my fingers start to tingle as if I am getting some low voltage current going through them. It's very faint and I don't think I am imagining it.

The tingle isn't there when I disconnect power. but does come back when plugged in but not turned on.

Is there a way I can test this with my multimeter to see if it's not in my head and if there is a bigger problem I should be worrying about?

any help would be appreciated.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

TheEquineFencer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
9,278
Location
Farmville, NC 27828
Hello

I have noticed that while touching my new bandsaws table my fingers start to tingle as if I am getting some low voltage current going through them. It's very faint and I don't think I am imagining it.

The tingle isn't there when I disconnect power. but does come back when plugged in but not turned on.

Is there a way I can test this with my multimeter to see if it's not in my head and if there is a bigger problem I should be worrying about?

any help would be appreciated.

Take a meter and hook it to a good building ground or a better, a ground that is known to be good going back to the main panel, then attach the other lead to the equipment and see what you get. I'd verify the source feeding the equipment is properly wired.
 

Radix2

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
1,853
Location
the thumb!, MI
Be careful, just because it is a slight tingle does not mean it is necessarily low voltage.

Just standing there with your shoes on, you are not well grounded and the current and sensation may be mild.

If you touch a real ground while debugging this, you may get a serious shock.

Be cautious and assume you have high voltage on that table while you are figuring it out. Most likely you have a pinched wire somewhere, make a visual check.

Does this saw have a low voltage starter with a transformer? If not, then the voltage is probably line voltage.
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
Un plug the unit and turn it on. Measure resistance between each blade on the plug and the frame of the machine. Should be no continuity between either flat blade and the frame and zero ohms between the frame and the ground pin.

This is assuming this is an american 120v machine. Link to the machine is necessary to make good suggestions, and your location so we know what power system your working with. At this point we have to make to many assumptions on what you have. Could be some newer plastic machine that is generating static, or an antique 2 wire machine with a leaky motor.

lg
no neat sig line
 

Falcon67

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
18,371
Location
Merkel, TX
Could be some newer plastic machine that is generating static, or an antique 2 wire machine with a leaky motor.

X2 - my 4x36 belt sander turns into a Van DeGraaf generator if I run it for a bit using a metal piece and don't hold one hand on the metal table.
 

wyliesdiesels

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
20,289
Location
Modesto, CA
Location and machine brand and model would be very helpful as said above.

Do voltage test with DMM between table and known good EGC.
 

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
Do you use a temporary ground cable? Sounds like a good thing to do.

At-least it's not a jacob's ladder, those always intrigued and scared me, as a kid. I also like the pics of Nikolai Tesla sitting by one of his cages, surrounded by huge arcs.

If the power cable has a stress relief piece on it where it goes into the machine's switch or some other electrical box, remove it and see if the insulation on the power line has worn-away, and is now contacting the metal box.

I once had a stove which would deliver a tingle if I contacted it in bare feet on the terrazzo floor, it turned out that the bonding strap for the cooktop burners and switchpanel was loose.


X2 - my 4x36 belt sander turns into a Van DeGraaf generator if I run it for a bit using a metal piece and don't hold one hand on the metal table.
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
Thomas Edison, the champion of direct current, hated him because Tesla discovered alternating current, among other things.

George Westinghouse loved him because his designs made Niagra Falls work.


This is the one I have, and sometimes use it for an avatar. I figured he's alone because nobody else had the balls to enter that chamber but Tesla himself.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom