To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

4 post lift anyone!? Atlas or others?

Repsolracer22

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
238
Location
central MD
Ok I have researched this to death. I know a lot about these lifts at this point. I want a 4 post lift for storage and to do oil changes, and light/easy work on vehicles. Just homeowner stuff.

I have a tundra, so I need a lift that goes higher than normal. So it would need to have about 84”+ of raised height. This way I can put a car on top and tundra fits underneath.

Also, I like the wider and longer ones as I have space for it. The runways on the Atlas Pro 8000 EXT-L are about 77” from the outer edge of runway to the other outer edge of runway. I like this because the tundra tires won’t be half hanging off.

The bendpak that I’ve been comparing the Atlas to is the BendPak GrandPrix[emoji769] GP-9XLT. But it looks like the runway width on this is like 72-73” so a normal Toyota Tundra would have HALF of the tires hanging off the edges of the runways. I don’t get it. Why would they make a 9000LB lift that narrow?

The other reason I’m looking at these lifts in addition to the higher lift height, is that they both DONT need compressed air at all. The air lock release on a lot of these lifts is cool I guess but I don’t use it that much and I don’t want to have to deal with compressed air to lower the lift.

I know bendpak is a little nicer quality and I don’t mind paying $4000 for theirs instead of $3200 for Atlas. But the narrow-ness of the runways kills me. Any other advice? Thanks

I have 12’ ceiling. Metal building.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
R

Repsolracer22

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
238
Location
central MD
now that I check them out more & more ... the bendpak runways are just too narrow. and unfortunately, that is the only one that does NOT use air. so back to looking at Atlas. They have a; Atlas® Garage Pro 9000 Portable Heavy Duty 9000 as well. Looks good. Anybody have one of these?
 

pstnbly

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
766
Location
So. Vermont
I have an Atlas 10,000# 2 post and could not be happier. I put my 9' flatbed F 350 on it no problem. The truck is 8750# dry. the quality is there. I'm sure you'll find that with the 4 post also.
 

Dandy1008

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2020
Messages
74
Location
Central, MN
Have you looked at Wildfire Lifts?
https://www.wildfirelifts.com/copy-of-double-wide-car-lift

I looked at lifts for quite a while and ended up with one of these, well I will end up with one. Mine is in but I have to pick it up. I cannot give you any feedback since I haven’t installed it yet, but if you didn’t know they were out there, they may work for you.

If you have questions just reach out. They are great about answering questions.

Advantage lifts have similar but different builds. They just didn’t bother responding to my inquiry so I didn’t go with them. Figured if they didn’t want to sell to me, they may be slow to provide service later.

Good luck in your search, this isn’t an easy decision.
 

1984shovelhead

Active member
Joined
Jan 13, 2019
Messages
42
Location
virginia
Don’t shy away from the air requirement you can get away with a cheap 110 self contained compressor with a small tank hang it in the air out of the way switch controlled will fill in minutes my 2 cents
 

Mthomas1686

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Messages
84
Location
My house, New Jersey
I just purchased an advantage sw11000wd. I haven't received it yet(because I just ordered it Thursday). This has a similar footprint to all of them, has thicker steel, the pads extend past the column, can fit a dually up on it, still keeps a standard width between the runways so you can use the rolling bridge jack. These were just a few reasons! As for their customer service I am surprised people have trouble getting through. I placed a call and was on with my sales rep in no time. He was very responsive and helpful. I also bought a challenger e12 2post (scratch and sent special).
 

LX-Markham

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
2,932
Location
Markham, Ont.
I like the air locks on the Bendpak. I’ve got my big compressor, but I have the lift plumbed into a small 1 gal compressor. Quiet and makes 80 psi in a minute.
 

HAULNSS

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
67
Location
MN
Two Advantage lifts here. One double wide and one single. You need to at least do some research and compare the different lifts and what makes each one unique. Don't shop on price alone.

No air needed on mine and I can put my small enclosed trailer under the double lift. I think it is 82" or so under the lift when it is resting on the very top lock. The aluminum ramps are light but still very heavy duty.

There have been a few posts on lifts lately so a quick search on GJ will pull up a lot of good info.

Randy
 

Attachments

  • Double lift.jpg
    Double lift.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Single lift.jpg
    Single lift.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

racerboy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
458
Location
New Jersey
I just ordered my Advantage DX-9000 HD today. I was torn between this lift and their XLT version, but I think this will fit my shop better. Am going to use it to store my 1967 GTO on top (1970 Trans Am) underneath. The rep Tyler was super helpful.

I opted for the 110v motor. The 220v is an extra $250, and while that’s not a huge difference, I will also need to run an outlet for that plug (I already have the line run into the ceiling above). Does anyone think I’m being penny-wise, pound foolish in the motor? The sales rep didn’t seem to think the bigger motor would make much of a difference considering the amount of times I will actually be using it, but figured I’d just throw it out there.

I’m also considering purchasing a second one for my other garage, but kind of has my heart set on an American Custom Lifts M-1 single-post lift over there (though it’s like twice the price)
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Garry

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2019
Messages
89
Location
East Wenatchee, WA
I just ordered my Advantage DX-9000 HD today. I was torn between this lift and their XLT version, but I think this will fit my shop better. Am going to use it to store my 1967 GTO on top (1970 Trans Am) underneath. The rep Tyler was super helpful.

I opted for the 110v motor. The 220v is an extra $250, and while that’s not a huge difference, I will also need to run an outlet for that plug (I already have the line run into the ceiling above). Does anyone think I’m being penny-wise, pound foolish in the motor? The sales rep didn’t seem to think the bigger motor would make much of a difference considering the amount of times I will actually be using it, but figured I’d just throw it out there.

I’m also considering purchasing a second one for my other garage, but kind of has my heart set on an American Custom Lifts M-1 single-post lift over there (though it’s like twice the price)

That is the same lift I got and I love it. I got the 110V motor as well, just make sure you have a 20amp dedicated circuit for it. You mentioned you have one on the ceiling and I assume that is for an opener? Chances are that the ceiling outlet is 15amp and on a shared circuit with other garage plugs? I tried what you describe too and I was tripping the circuit, as I also have a garage fridge plugged in. I simply added a 20amp dedicated circuit for the lift and all is good! Here is a pic of mine.

Cheers,

-Garry
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 71

racerboy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
458
Location
New Jersey
Thanks Garry!

I have a 4-gang outlet that is on the wall (never sure what is considered the front of the garage and what is the rear) but this outlet is where the left nose of the car sits if it were on the lift. Because I originally thought I was going to need a 220v line for the lift, I had the electrician run a line in the ceiling. There is no outlet yet, just the line itself.

Here is the wall outlet (120v - not sure of Amps)
d98c97e4886423545e740170a7621df1.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • d98c97e4886423545e740170a7621df1.jpg
    d98c97e4886423545e740170a7621df1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 16

racerboy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
458
Location
New Jersey
ab478cb92a2a0acab712df26c77e9242.jpg
In this photo, you can see the hole in the ceiling (in front of I-beam) where there is a 220v/30A line.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • ab478cb92a2a0acab712df26c77e9242.jpg
    ab478cb92a2a0acab712df26c77e9242.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5

Garry

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2019
Messages
89
Location
East Wenatchee, WA
Thanks Garry!

I have a 4-gang outlet that is on the wall (never sure what is considered the front of the garage and what is the rear) but this outlet is where the left nose of the car sits if it were on the lift. Because I originally thought I was going to need a 220v line for the lift, I had the electrician run a line in the ceiling. There is no outlet yet, just the line itself.

Here is the wall outlet (120v - not sure of Amps)
d98c97e4886423545e740170a7621df1.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use your 120vac circuit and it is a dedicated 20amp breaker and the wall plug-in is too far away for the power cord to reach, you can read what I did in another thread here;

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468228

It worked well for me. If you use your 240vac location on the ceiling, perhaps the power cord that comes with the motor/switch if you order it that way might reach as is. If not, you could still do what I did to install the longer power cord, but with a larger gauge wire appropriate for the 240/30amp circuit. It looks like you could go either way from your pics.

Cheers!

-Garry
 
Last edited:

Jwallace1

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
141
Location
spokane wa
how many of these 4 post lifts are the same import lift (not that there is anything wrong with that) that are painted a different color with a different brand on them? seems like i look at a lot of them and they look the same just a different brand. i have been in the market for a lift haven't decided between 2 or 4 post. a lot of these 4 posts look identical
 

racerboy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
458
Location
New Jersey
If you use your 120vac circuit and it is a dedicated 20amp breaker and the wall plug-in it too far away for the power cord to reach, you can read what I did in another thread here;

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468228

It worked well for me. If you use your 240vac location on the ceiling, perhaps the power cord that comes with the motor/switch if you order it that way might reach as is. If not, you could still do what I did to install the longer power cord, but with a larger gauge wire appropriate for the 340/30amp circuit. It looks like you could go either way from your pics.

Cheers!

-Garry


Thanks Garry. I see you have the power on the back right column of your lift. I could actually mimic that because I have another unused 220 line in the ceiling over there (again, I wasn’t sure where the lift should go). You can kind of see it in this picture between the rails.
1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg

I wonder if I should just have them put in the 240 motor if I am going to use one of the bigger circuits. Tyler from Advanced said that would run about $250 extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • 1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg
    1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 5

Garry

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2019
Messages
89
Location
East Wenatchee, WA
Thanks Garry. I see you have the power on the back right column of your lift. I could actually mimic that because I have another unused 220 line in the ceiling over there (again, I wasn’t sure where the lift should go). You can kind of see it in this picture between the rails.
1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg

I wonder if I should just have them put in the 240 motor if I am going to use one of the bigger circuits. Tyler from Advanced said that would run about $250 extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you could go either way, 120vac or 240vac with your setup. The only thing the 240vac option will give you over the 120vac is that the lift will rise slightly faster. That is not an issue for me, as I'm retired and I really don't feel the need to have to do things faster any more and I quite like it this way! :)

I see no openers on your doors, have you just not installed them, or do you just do them manually?
 

Attachments

  • 1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg
    1c87ab75b0fc60a2ef80e057d09157ba.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4

racerboy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
458
Location
New Jersey
That’s basically what Tyler from Advantage Lifts told me. He said they don’t sell a lot of the lifts with the 220 motor.

I just had a pair of LiftMasters installed last week.
e499a5d3f771d76bd3ee85bc8281e7c1.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • e499a5d3f771d76bd3ee85bc8281e7c1.jpg
    e499a5d3f771d76bd3ee85bc8281e7c1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 20

Awag

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 27, 2019
Messages
51
Location
SE NE
Wire is wire, it don't care if you run 120 or 240 through it. The 30 amp wires in the ceiling could be put on a 120 breaker in the box.
 

Wangta

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2020
Messages
12
Location
SoCal
I am debating between the Atlas 8000 and the Bendpak hD-9 and have some questions on the Atlas locks. Are they only on one side of the lift and only locks 2 corners? I believe teh Bendpak has air locks on all four sides?
 

boatshoes

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2019
Messages
126
Location
Atlanta
I am debating between the Atlas 8000 and the Bendpak hD-9 and have some questions on the Atlas locks. Are they only on one side of the lift and only locks 2 corners? I believe teh Bendpak has air locks on all four sides?
Atlas locks are mechanical and lock all 4 corners through a linkage system. You have the option of putting the release lever on 2 of the 4 corners. Most lifts with mechanical locks are like this.
 

pbon

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
3,498
Seems like a great sale on the Atlas right now at $3699.
 

e015475

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 24, 2012
Messages
647
Location
Show Low and Mesa Arizona
I have the Atlas Garage Pro and I'm pretty happy with it. I paid about $2700 for it last year, finally pulling the trigger on the purchase when they jacked prices $400. Looks like it is about $1k more now.

I have a 115V motor on mine. Since I wanted to be able to move the lift outside on the garage apron or another stall, I replaced the cord with a 25' lead and used the type of plug that the RV guys use and installed a dedicated 30 amp breaker (has the added benefit of when my brother visits, he has power for his motorhome) Strangely the data plate on the hydraulic unit said "2.5KW" which was about 23 amps, but it came with a common 110V plug. When it was first installed I drove my old XJ6 Jag that weighed about 4000 lbs on it and lifted it about 4', but when I tried to get it to come off the locks to lower it, it blew the breaker on the garage outlet. I suspect that the truck that's on the lift now, which is about 3200 lbs., wouldn't have had a problem, but I like the margin of a dedicated circuit

I'm pretty nervous about hitting the cab roof on the ceiling. When the weather gets nicer I think I'll move the truck off the lift and measure the truck and the lift and then mark one of the lift posts for max height for each of the vehicles that'll be on the lift. I don't know if the air-lock lifts are this way, but on the Atlas the pockets for the safety pawls are about 6" apart so you can go up in 6" increments, remembering that the lift has to go up another inch or so to come off the locks before they can be released to come down.
IMG_0249.jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom