To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Anyone make a larger belt grinder 3x90 4x90 6x90 ect?

To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

LXCam

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Apr 23, 2013
Messages
19,527
Location
AZ
Grizzly and others offer a 6 X 79 unit. I know I've seen larger, a few years ago I seem to remember someone buying one in the 90" range. Heck they make a large range of belts up to 320", someone going to have something to fit it too...lol
 

bwringer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
10,444
Location
Indianapolis
Look upon the works of Jason over at Fireball Tool, who made a ridiculously amazing, and downright frightening, belt grinder out of go-kart parts:

As noted above, they make belts in even larger sizes, so that means there are commercial machines even beastlier than that.
 

GeoBruin

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2018
Messages
3,778
I recently obtained a 10" x 90". I then picked up a 5 HP motor motor for it as well. Still putting everything together but hope to have it up and running soon.
 

Attachments

  • 20240415_145140.jpg
    20240415_145140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

vpd66

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
735
Location
Central Wisconsin
Years ago when I went to Tech school they had two very large ones. I believe they were 8"or 10" wide and went all the way to the ceiling. You could bevel 3/8" steel plate in less then a minute.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
S

Sincerd

Well-known member
Joined
May 12, 2023
Messages
75
I recently obtained up a 10" x 90". I recently picked up a 5 HP motor motor for it as well. Still putting everything together but hope to have it up and running soon.
See I'm wondering about something like that or a 2x72 vandelay type build that is more like a 4x90.
 

ER70S-2

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2015
Messages
827
While only slightly larger, Housemade is about to start selling 3" wheels that will probably be adaptable to most 2x72 grinders. The belts are 3x79.
 

DocsMachine

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,973
It's worth keeping in mind that the belt selection for many of those sizes, might not be as wide or varied as that for the 2x72.

I'm given to understand that the 2x72 has kind of become the default- enough of those are made that you can get- inexpensively- exotic belts in super-fine grades, Trizact style ceramics, and so on.

Not saying that kind of thing isn't available for the other sizes- I don't honestly know. And, it may be that a standard 'brown' aluminum oxide belt will work just fine for you. Just saying it's worth checking on availability, before buying or building something.

Doc.
 

GeoBruin

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2018
Messages
3,778
It's worth keeping in mind that the belt selection for many of those sizes, might not be as wide or varied as that for the 2x72.

I'm given to understand that the 2x72 has kind of become the default- enough of those are made that you can get- inexpensively- exotic belts in super-fine grades, Trizact style ceramics, and so on.

Not saying that kind of thing isn't available for the other sizes- I don't honestly know. And, it may be that a standard 'brown' aluminum oxide belt will work just fine for you. Just saying it's worth checking on availability, before buying or building something.

Doc.
This is sound advice. I had no idea when I picked up my big honker if there would be belts available. Fortunately, it seems like 10 x 90 is used in industry somewhere, so I did find some options, but certainly nowhere near the number of options that are out there for the 2 x 72 format. Similar to how the popularity of vaping drove development of high performance lithium ion batteries, the massive surge in the popularity of knife making has resulted in a ton of 2 x 72 grinders and kits, which in turn has caused abrasive manufacturers to create a wide variety of belts to suit.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom