To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Best mirror for driving on a lift

Finally

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
59
Location
Tampa, Florida
Hello all,

I just installed a 4 post lift and wanted see ideas of the different types of mirrors and locations you all installed. thanks
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

olds70supreme

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
704
I have a drive-on lift. I used a cheap mirror from walmart and mounted it up high on top of some wall cabinets, angled downwards at the correct angle by some 2x4's (one on each side, but at an angle).

 
  • Like
Reactions: LSU

CraigStu

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
4,119
Location
Blacksburg, Va
I have more or less permanent ramps in my garage and I got one of those mirrors you hang on a door. 14x48' maybe. I porpped it in front of the ramp and messed w/ alignment until it owrked out. But there it is on the floor often in the way. Then it fell over and cracked I put clear packing tape on it so I wouldn't end up w/ chunks of glass falling out on the way to the dump. Then realized I could see through the tape well enough. But it is still in the way so I will be following this thread. I see the round convex ones but they are all $100 or more and I don't want to see the entire inside of the garage.
 

solo machinist

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2022
Messages
155
Location
North West, Ohio
1678626858567.pngI made a few of these mirrors for work, using mylar and steel studs. The studs are flexible enough to keep tension on the mylar to keep it flat. it took two people pulling on opposite sides, then taping it place. It took a little while to make it wrinkle free.
Work had bought huge mirrors to hang above people in their work area, to check for working lights all around new lift trucks.
I asked about their sanity hanging glass mirrors above people. I told them about mylar.
 
Last edited:
OP
F

Finally

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
59
Location
Tampa, Florida
Thanks you all for the replies. Seems there are a few options and I have some more research to do for sure.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LSU
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

sschung

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2014
Messages
9
I found I couldn't see the mirror well enough from the distance I had and I lacked the room for a bigger mirror. I ended up buying a dual camera baby monitor. That way I can put them anywhere and fairly close to see the tire alignment. It's not perfect as they generally don't have a wide angle so you need to get one with good resolution. It was still better than the mirror. I put magnets on them and use them for other things, primarily as a view on the ladder locks disengaging on the far posts.

My wife as a spotter is still the best!
 

jaw22w

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2019
Messages
195
Location
indiana
I take a little bit different tack for parking on my 4-post lift. My dog love tennis balls. They are all over the place. I simply hung one from the ceiling at the exact center of my lift at the far end between the posts. Drive the center of the hood under the ball.
 

glentre

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2016
Messages
909
Location
Gloucester, Virginia
Because of the cabinets on the back wall, I couldn't mount any permanent mirror. I just used a cheap Wallmart acrylic mirror taped to the cabinets at a locator dot on the cabinet door so I can attach and remove it when not in use.

GlenIMG_2180.JPG
 
OP
F

Finally

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
59
Location
Tampa, Florida
So, I had a few mirrors around the house and I tried them around the garage. I really didn’t like them, so, as Stew mentioned, I drove 4 different cars on the lift, aligned them first, then hung my head out the window. This was the most comfortable to me after all that. Thanks for the replies. One issue that makes it harder for me is that my bay is a drive through, meaning I have a garage door 15’ in front of the lift. So, forward placement of the mirror is not possible anyway.
 

Viper98912

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
1,141
Location
GA
Son of a, why didn't I think of that? I'll need to try this, trying to center on the lift is sometimes slightly challenging (and not always easy to stick your head out the window with three pedals)
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom