To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Bull's Vidmar-velous Deal

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Last night, a heroic friend agreed at the last minute to help me travel about 30 minutes away and pick up a Vidmar cabinet deal from CL. I saw the ad a few days ago, and thought it would be gone right away. I asked the seller one question via e-mail, got a reply on Thursday. Told her on Thursday night that I wanted the cabinet but assumed it would be gone before I got to it, as I couldn't get out there before the weekend. She told me it was mine if I wanted it.

Her son apparently brought it home from his AFB when they got new ones in. As one of the pics will show, one of the drawers was foamed for what look to be goggles and bayonets or something. :headscrat

About 5' tall I think, and maybe 29" wide x 27" deep, approximately.

$200.

We had to take the drawers out, wheel it out of a sunroom, through the living room, dining room, and kitchen, down a couple stairs, across a sidewalk, and into the driveway. Then we tipped the top onto the tailgate of my truck and lifted it from the bottom to slide it in.

100_7473.jpg


My Escalera forklift cart helps me with yet another unloading
100_7474.jpg


100_7475.jpg


100_7480.jpg


100_7482.jpg



Here you can see it in front of my two primary toolbox setups. As you can see, my tool storage ability has increased drastically thanks to this Vidmar.
100_7481.jpg


I need to rearrange stuff...the C-man bottom in front of the Vidmar will probably go under a bench and be used as a mobile workstation. The top-box on it will probably go onto a bench or in the basement or something.
100_7483.jpg



I was going to go nuts with a wash, clay-bar, and polish to get it looking spiffy, then realized that would blow my whole weekend. So instead, I washed it with hot water and soap, sort of cleaned and lubed the slides, and put it back together. Then I spent some time taking tools out of the C-man boxes and putting them in here. I am not good at organizing, but I am making some progress.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

luvit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
1,580
.
nice, bull. you now have 3 tmies the vidmar i have.
J24itKPBQvIMQt9YEA5iUrk5fPSL_WAay0gbVt7m_OCWnrpYPdhS3JYigp3i2pDtiMcLKh8ZuQegf-4FSnHL
 

akdiesel

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
2,617
Location
Wasilla, AK
Nice find and great to have Craig Listers that honor the first call.
Are you planning on going with your gray / red scheme?
 

yogitech

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
791
Location
Orlando, FL
I got one in blue exactly like yours for $200 as well. They are beyond heavy, and built like tanks. Nice find!
 

Jack Olsen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
6,678
Location
Los Angeles
That is an awesome deal.

The sizes are pretty universal: 30" wide, 27-5/8" deep, and 59" (a little more with those wheels) high. You can jump up and down with the drawers all the way extended, and it won't break (although it will probably tip over -- so don't do it).

I'm pretty sure those are government-issue vampire-killing cut-outs in the foam.

I am biting my tongue to not try to talk you into painting it to match the other tool boxes and those wall boards.

Biting my tongue.

But that's an awesome deal.

(A little scuffing, a little acetone, and just some Rustoleum -- that's all it takes.)

:)
 

Griff93

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
1,121
Location
Huntsville, AL
Be careful. This is a slippery slope. I scored one Vidmar cab and one Lista cab a couple of years ago. Since then I've been hunting for more at a good price. They'll make you want to sell off all your craftsman boxes and replace them with Vidmar/Lista. The drawer dividers also ad up pretty quickly if you have lots of little parts in them. I have one that is about full of hardware.
 

little d

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2009
Messages
815
Location
NW Oklahoma
Nice score bull, like Jack said, a scoth bright pad and a little rattle can can go a long way.
Hay btw, how's the barn comming, have ya got it racked back plumb yet?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Fury5

Active member
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
39
Location
Milan, NY
Fabulous score at that price. Been looking locally for months and have yet to see one at any price on CL. Congrats.
 

Josh Kinzey

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
89
Location
Raleigh, NC
Careful about letting people know how you got it. Taking garbage from the USAF is against the United States Code of Military Justice. You can't get in any trouble, but the kid that took it could.

When I was active duty, my shop spent about 2 million dollars with a local Snap-on man outfitting the shop with new tools. A few months later, we started to need some of the tools replaced under warranty. Our Snap-On man couldn't be reached. My guess is he took the commission and went to the beach for a few years or something, but I don't really know.

Regardless, due to difficulty when it came to warranty replacement, the great minds at Hill AFB decided to throw away all the Snap-On tools and tool boxes and replace them with Craftsman product because we could go to Sears for replacement tools.

I personally helped load over a dozen snap on boxes, with tools, into the trash truck. I absolutely broke my heart to see 3 month old Snap-On stuff getting destroyed, but if we took any of it and got caught, serious trouble was to follow. I don't know that you'd do any jail time, but you would probably lose rank over it.

One more-

We had a tractor that we used to plow snow. It sat all summer. First snow of the year, new guy goes out, cranks it up, and hits the snow WOT. The engine had been running probably 3-4 seconds before it went WOT under a load, after not being ran for 6-7 months. It pitched a rod.

We took it to motor pool, they replaced the engine.

A few weeks later, we need to plow snow again. Kid goes out the tractor, and it won't start because it has a dead battery. Well, every vehicle in the military has a certain amount of dollars allocated for maintenance. Once those dollars are spent, the military throws the vehicle away. The engine replacement ate up all but $9 of the funds allocated for the tractor, so we threw the tractor away over a dead battery. Brand new engine, and it was all tossed over a 31 series battery.

It makes me sick when I think about it, ugh.
 

Kevin54

MEMBER EMERITUS
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
29,341
Location
Urbana, Ohio
Well Bull, let me the first to say, YOU ****!!!! You can't find those around here for less than about $500.
 

luvit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
1,580
..when i do find them to be cheap, they are hours away..
hence i only have a small cabinet.
 

ihredo4

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
1,575
Location
100 miles W of Daileyville in Idiotnois
You will simply fall in love with that cabinet BULL. I used them at work and when I found my first one I couldn't pass it up. I am in process of getting another now and can't wait to get it paid off, picked up and in use.
 

Lippyp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
6,720
Location
Shropshire, UK
We had a tractor that we used to plow snow. It sat all summer. First snow of the year, new guy goes out, cranks it up, and hits the snow WOT. The engine had been running probably 3-4 seconds before it went WOT under a load, after not being ran for 6-7 months. It pitched a rod.

We took it to motor pool, they replaced the engine.

A few weeks later, we need to plow snow again. Kid goes out the tractor, and it won't start because it has a dead battery. Well, every vehicle in the military has a certain amount of dollars allocated for maintenance. Once those dollars are spent, the military throws the vehicle away. The engine replacement ate up all but $9 of the funds allocated for the tractor, so we threw the tractor away over a dead battery. Brand new engine, and it was all tossed over a 31 series battery.

It makes me sick when I think about it, ugh.

Its the same over here, its surprising how many beat up military surplus landrovers going to auction turn out to have brand new engines/gearboxes under the hood.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom