To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Buying first air hose reel

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
Hi guys,

Have a 10 gallon California Air Tools Compressor I use for garage tasks, cleaning and around the yard chores.

Looking to get an air hose reel to compliment it. Harbor Freight stuff I typically shy away from due to quality. I'm looking at the Flezzilla single axel reel made by Legacy, Goodyear 50 footer and shopping Cox along with Reelcraft which seem like overkill but I like the idea of American steel and having something that'll outlive me.

Leaning towards the Flezzilla/legacy one but wanted your opinions first.

Thanks in advance!!!
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

dubdoc

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2013
Messages
235
Location
Milford Station, N.S.
I just bought a cheap one from Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbour Freight) about 6 years ago. Works well for me, but the hose itself is the important part. Get the best you can justify.
air-a.jpg
 

driftpin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11,460
Location
Miami-Dade/Broward Co. Florida
I have the HFT 50' X 3/8" hose unit. I've had it for a few years, I don't use it every day but I've never-had a bit of trouble from it. The hose is rubber. It's mounted above my workbench, an easy stretch to the driveway if I need it there, and I keep a coiled PVC hose on it for use at the workbench. My water separator/filter, and pressure regulator are plumbed-in directly-before it. I have one 3/8" port which is filtered but unregulated pressure and another filtered/regulated, just-before the reel.
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
I have done this almost every way it can be done. A Reelcraft is nice when someoine else is paying and I don't care for retractors unless they are overhead or have to be in a cab. I have some HF, lasted 20+ years with original hoses no problem. If a guy uses the rapid reel style which is fine I like a 100 for 50 ft of hose, they are too fussy to rewind with the limited space on them.
I don't mind hard hose, it forces it out of the way and they last longer than rubber or flex although I have both with decades of service with the ends needing to be fixed on rubber.
This is about convenience and use. If a guy wants to spend 300 today, maybe 4 on a fancy reel he can but it wont last any longer than a 50$ one. Kind of backwards to spend 400 on a reel and 200 on a comp.
BTW,,, I am kind of curious, has that little blue comp been in the way under foot in traffic area for 5 or 6 years?
I have a couple of the legacy retractors, they are ok but not for cold weather, the hose is not designed for it. But it has a great mounting system, have 2 of them.
 

Attachments

  • air & power station.JPG
    air & power station.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 110
  • air 2.jpg
    air 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 101
  • air hose reel.JPG
    air hose reel.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 97
  • air reggy.jpg
    air reggy.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 81
  • air ret reel.JPG
    air ret reel.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

highland512

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
259
Location
Somewhere near a cornfield
Get some usa made red goodyear hose (or Tekton, same oem) to go with your usa reel.

We have a reelcraft that needed rebuilt after 25 years of servicing farm equipment and semi trucks, good stuff.
 

The Maxx

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 4, 2010
Messages
55
One thing to look for no matter what you buy;

I bought a Dewalt air hose reel and it came with a 3ish foot jumper to go from pipe to reel.

The swivel fitting on the jumper had a tiny orifice inside that would greatly restrict airflow. So I cut it off and connected it with a full size hose barb. The other end was ok.

No complaints with the rest of the reel or hose. It's working well.
 

tarmy

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
4,803
Location
Nor Cal
I have one auto rewind and one manual.

The overhead is in the attached garage...the manual is in the shop and reaches outside and all over my property...

6FE5BE10-EF3A-4BC3-9B56-A0D97D26E44B.jpg

F411637B-D574-4BD4-A7B3-B01C5F7103CC.jpg
 

matt_i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
10,843
Location
SE Michigan
I have got a Tekton in my shop and waiting (on me) to finish the air piping to it. It looks decent except I can't test the rotating union/rotating seal yet for integrity.
 

Bigbandguy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
1,188
Location
North Carolina
I have an HF 25 Foot retractable in my little workshop. It is mounted under the workbench and will reach anywhere in the shed and out the door. Works great and has had no issues. That is one HF product that I have found no fault with.

I also have 75 feet of hose (packed) on a manual reel in the garage. It will reach the other side of my driveway for airing tires and using the blow gun to dislodge dust and crud in the cars. Works really well and quite happy with it.
 

Attachments

  • reel2.jpg
    reel2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 68

tarbellb

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
5,843
Location
Oregon
Bought a COX thinking USA made quality, pretty disappointed in the overall quality.

Spring strength is ridiculous, hardware is subpar, design is just ok.

Reelcraft looks promising.
 

ScottsGT

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Messages
4,883
Location
Lake Wateree, SC
Been using a Tekton for years. Had an issue where the ratchet prawl tip wore off. Tekton sent a replacement out to me right away after sending them a photo of the bad part so they could match them up.
 
OP
T

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
I have a line on a used Reelcraft 7670 that someone had in their residential garage for 5-6 years. Wants 150 for it. That's tempting but like the idea of something new that will last me forever. Having trouble justifying the $300 price point, trying to get there though.
 
OP
T

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
My father in law has the Diablo from HF and it struggles to reel the hose in. Spring seems extremely week.
 

bastage

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2017
Messages
234
Location
Kuna ID
I have a line on a used Reelcraft 7670 that someone had in their residential garage for 5-6 years. Wants 150 for it. That's tempting but like the idea of something new that will last me forever. Having trouble justifying the $300 price point, trying to get there though.

If I had that available I dont think I would even think twice before snagging it..
 
OP
T

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
If I had that available I dont think I would even think twice before snagging it..

Really?

Mmmm, that's good to know. Looks to be in good condition and I'd imagine all the parts are replacing if need be. My guess is I could get him down to 100
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
T

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
Get a reelcraft. I see used reelcrafts for less than $100 all the time on cl, etc.

Cullen,
You wouldn't let the fact it's used deter you away?

Sort of eyeing the RT650, it's affordable and the plastic wheel makes it lighter. I think it would probably hold up fine.
 

James-W

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
12,432
Location
Southeastern Wisconsin
I have one that I bought at Harbor Freight many years ago, at least 15 years, probably more. A couple months ago I had to replace the 50ft air hose because they developed some cracks It was the red hose and while it wasn't leaking as of yet, I figured it was time to replace it before it did start to leak.
 

bastage

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2017
Messages
234
Location
Kuna ID
Cullen,
You wouldn't let the fact it's used deter you away?

Sort of eyeing the RT650, it's affordable and the plastic wheel makes it lighter. I think it would probably hold up fine.

I would rather have used then the plastic reel.

You gotta figure that those budget models have to skimp some to make them that cheap. Most likely better off with something made to be used in a professional setting that comes pre-scratched.
 

willbird

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2019
Messages
65
Location
NNWW Ohio
We have probably hundreds of Reelcraft at work. Typically the hoses fail long before the reels do. We have 36 molding presses that each have two and they are in an environment filled with ambient heat (press tooling is heated to 325 degrees). The failure point of the hose is typically the end swelling up where the hose end is attached. We just cut them off and crimp on a new quick disconnect with 3/8 barb.

We replace a few reels here and there...but another telling thing is we do not stock them, we order them in when one needs replaced.

We re use ones that were taken down due to a floor plan redesign. That is a testimony to their quality. They are deemed worthy of removal and re installation by a skilled tradesmen. I would not hesitate to buy a used one that seemed to be ok.
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
Buying first reel for a 1 hp comp, kind of says it all. Does this sound like a busy truck shop with 1000's of cycles a year? I have nothing against them, they are the best reel, ok, but myself and others here have used economy ones for decades, probably under service way more extreme than would ever be used by the op,,, if it works for me it would probably work for them too.
 

willbird

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2019
Messages
65
Location
NNWW Ohio
Buying first reel for a 1 hp comp, kind of says it all. Does this sound like a busy truck shop with 1000's of cycles a year? I have nothing against them, they are the best reel, ok, but myself and others here have used economy ones for decades, probably under service way more extreme than would ever be used by the op,,, if it works for me it would probably work for them too.


But still it comes down to "good, better, and best" :). Economy is great as long as it is not false economy :).

Bill
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
I've had one of the HF manual reels for some 5 years and it works for me. I find that when rewinding that I will guide the hose with a rag in my hand and that keeps the hose cleaned.

lg
no neat sig line
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
But still it comes down to "good, better, and best" :). Economy is great as long as it is not false economy :).

Bill
How much is the comparison cost? I got one was on sale 25 years ago for 30$, still works, same hose, no repair, fair amount of use, on 24/7 in to its 3rd decade. Be different if it cost 200$ but 30 or 50 is worth some risk and disposable pricing.
Lets say the guy buys it and decides in a couple years it aint him and he is going in to the truck tire service biz how much has he lost if he pushes it off to the dumpster and spends a few 100 on a new one of it gives him a chance to stumble on a deal, could be a second unit but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am sure someone somewhere has broke one,, I got 6, only one ever leaked was an O ring in a brand name unit.
I fixed up a cheap one where a guy would have been scared to mess with a new hi dollar deal and super tuned it to its environment.
Not the same advice to 4N27, probably owns dozens of reels and in his home can afford to plumb in a couple 3 extra just in case. This is a guy that got a decent economy compressor probably tired of fighting with some hose. I think its great he wants to fix it up for convenience which is what he should do but it will be a lot more enjoyable in the long run with 60 bucks that works well and serves the intent than a gut wrenching investment likely to be parked most of its life.
 

James-W

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
12,432
Location
Southeastern Wisconsin
But still it comes down to "good, better, and best" :). Economy is great as long as it is not false economy :).

Bill
For a person who uses an air hose reel only occasionally, buying a professional quality air hose reel is like giving a 12 inch **** to a monk. It may look impressive, but as far as usefulness, it is a total waste.
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
I got a bud got a cabin and garage up here. He is in Biz, he been walking on the truck for 25 years and buying the best. For some reason he stumbled in to a HF and was giggling like he hit gold, said,,,, which I would have known about this 20 years ago.
He had a fistful of stuff gonna pipe the place for air hydrants and I changed the design to a couple t and 50 ft hose to a reel with a connector on the end. He just needs to blow up a tire out front, nice to be able to do it without dragging **** out. Gets the compressor out of the way. Single hose on a reel will reach the whole place.
 

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
I really like manual as well if its practical as a retractor. Don't have to fuss with it so much on the pull out and a guy gets used to the minor extra step and learns to train the hose up a little.
I have used a lot of hose hung up. For short drops its good, its cheap to add on and can do it without mechanical stuff but when its longer and hang up always got buttholes in it and seems to be on the floor for some reason, a reel of any type initiates a little discipline to it.
Don't be scared to move it after some testing, location can make a huge difference to coverage and walk overs. I got an area looks like it has a little extra coverage and it does,,, but it increases convenience and only took a ready made 25 ft hose screwed to a t and a coupler and it serves a bench with no moving parts. I could just about do without the ******* and would give it a couple more ft of travel.
Not a deal, not really worth the change.
 

Attachments

  • A frame hoist walk thru.jpg
    A frame hoist walk thru.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Hoist dair.jpg
    Hoist dair.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Hoist hose *******.JPG
    Hoist hose *******.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
There is a hose over the bench. I was trying to make this as descriptive as it can be. There is a boom made from conduit that swings over the benches and is long enough that it reaches out on the floor to drop stuff on extensive fab jobs if needed, building a trailer etc.
There are S hooks on the top cord of the truss, boom that wires and air hose is hung in. So a standart 50 ft is plumbed on and ran out 20 ft of boom then another set of hooks lower, above head height returns the hose back so I simply unhang as much of the return as I need to reach vise or benches or more if I want to reach out on the floor, 90% is 1 simple hook, no moving parts and on its own circuit hooked on to a T at my manifold, I can shut the whole building down cept for this circuit which I can shut in separately.
I can mess with the regulator pressure here without effecting anything else. It was the hookup when I built the place.
 

Attachments

  • bench bay.jpg
    bench bay.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 43
  • bench door.jpg
    bench door.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 45
  • bench over   loc.jpg
    bench over loc.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 40
  • bench shot.jpg
    bench shot.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

sberry

Banned
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
35,747
Location
Brethren, Michigan
I can always slowdown some and become more exacting when I have to but the place is designed for ease and speed and form only by good design for ergonomics. Its not impressive by looking at well finished work but once a guy works here a bit realizes how easy it is. Looks a little different than the original design and glad I didn't run off to the steel yard and start building. Some of the furniture was done as needed when needed and worked so well that it never got improved. Enclosed cabs are nice but I like shelves and strip a lot of boxes and cardboard, group some stuff so I can see it. My neighbor has machine tools, mine is shelves and stock tailored and collected.
 
Last edited:
OP
T

TideisRolling

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
18
Location
Home
Thanks for all the feedback, boys.

I should correct this, it's a 10 gallon compressor not 1, typo in original post. Still not a huge difference I know but some of the comments made me laugh so it's all worth it.

I'm still leaning towards entry level Reelcraft, passed on the used one. Looking in the range of $215-265. Will be more than I ever need but like the idea of buying American and having something that should outlive the compressor.

I'm hunting for a deal now but am debating between the Reelcraft 5650 (all steel) and the Reelcraft Medium duty RT650 (plastic wheel with steel parts). I think both will be more than suitable and last me a long long time.
 

bastage

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2017
Messages
234
Location
Kuna ID
If you can settle with Half american & less then half the cost you should consider the Tekton Reels. The hose's are high quality American with a Chinese reel. Contrary to what the name might make you think Tekton is also a US company. The 3/8" 50' reel is 100 bucks in single arm or 120 in dual arm. I am sure they would suit you just as well & probably last just as long given the use.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom