To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Can someone help me identify this type of bolt?

To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

matt_i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
10,843
Location
SE Michigan
I would call it a "machined part".

Sorry that's really not much help but in my opinion its not common enough to commandeer a special name for it.
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
I would call it a "machined part".

Sorry that's really not much help but in my opinion its not common enough to commandeer a special name for it.

Yeah I think its used usually in motors and stuff like that, the thing is, I want to find something to connect to it, so I'll be able to spin it clockwise and counterclockwise easily, I thought of finding some sort of screw connector that you can tight with a screw(something like this https://www.bptfittings.com/store/m...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/4/241-DCSLP_1.jpg), and then connect it to a handle or something like that, any ideas?
 

scissorman

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 7, 2014
Messages
662
Location
Pleasanton, Ca.
You need to start by measuring the diameter of the shaft across the round portion. Once you know the diameter you should be able to do a search for a D shaft knob or coupler of that diameter.
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None

You need to start by measuring the diameter of the shaft across the round portion. Once you know the diameter you should be able to do a search for a D shaft knob or coupler of that diameter.

That was extremely helpful! Hopefully I will be able to make what I want, but you gave me a really good starting point now.
Im trying to make something similar to this: https://agenaastro.com/agena-flexible-slow-motion-cable-with-rosette-handle-9-5.html
Do you guys have any suggestions for me on what would be the best way to make something like that?
 

Old Man Roger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
18,628
Location
Palm Coast Florida

Old Man Roger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
18,628
Location
Palm Coast Florida
Yeah the thing is, its not really cheap shipping to my country, so Im not sure its worth buying when I can kinda make something similar for 1/4 the price.
AH OK! Well I guess that depends on what tools you have access to. If you have a lathe and a drill press, it would be pretty easy. If not, it's gonna take some elbow grease..lol
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
AH OK! Well I guess that depends on what tools you have access to. If you have a lathe and a drill press, it would be pretty easy. If not, it's gonna take some elbow grease..lol

Well I don't have a lathe or a drill press, but I think I have enough tool to use my drill as a press drill, I think the only thing I need is something that sort of fits the D shape, then just drill a hole for a screw to hold it tight in place, connect a strong flexible cable on the other side, and then just connect some sort of handle at the end. My only real problem is finding a connection for the D shape, is I'll prefer buying something ready with a hole for a screw already made, and then I'll only need to connect all the parts. I've seen some screws that match what I want, but can't really find anything I can order from ebay/aliexpress.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Old Man Roger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
18,628
Location
Palm Coast Florida
Well I don't have a lathe or a drill press, but I think I have enough tool to use my drill as a press drill, I think the only thing I need is something that sort of fits the D shape, then just drill a hole for a screw to hold it tight in place, connect a strong flexible cable on the other side, and then just connect some sort of handle at the end. My only real problem is finding a connection for the D shape, is I'll prefer buying something ready with a hole for a screw already made, and then I'll only need to connect all the parts. I've seen some screws that match what I want, but can't really find anything I can order from ebay/aliexpress.
Google ''shaft collar with set screw''
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
Measure the round part of the shaft. Find a knob with a set screw to tighten down on the flat part of the shaft.

Yeah thats what I wanted to do, but I just can't find a set screw, I need to get it from ebay/aliexpress/drive somewhere else as I live in a very small city and there's nothing useful in the tools shop here. Any more accurate kewords I can search for? I searched in any way I can really(if you find something, make sure its a worldwide shipping, cause not every seller ships to my country).
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
Google ''shaft collar with set screw''

Oh nice! I also just bumped on "rigid coupling", which one would you think be better? the rigid coupling seems to be longer, so I can connect a cable at the other end, which seems to fit more what I need like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5mm-Motor-Copper-Shaft-Coupling-Coupler-Connector-Sleeve-Adapter-US/32857462555.html?
What do you think?
I measured the D shape bolt for 1.5cm~ so it means I need a 15mm connector?
 

ducksface

Banned
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,477
You need anything that will slip over it. Wood, plastic, baby rattle handle, tubing, a drilled bolt....
Length diameter and style are as you find it.
Coat your existing part with Vaseline or similar.
Fill whatever slips over it with silicone or jb weld or your choice of hardening or semi hardening material.
Slip the filled piece over that shaft.
Wipe off excess.
Let dry.

Done.

You're all making this way too hard.
 
Last edited:
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
You need anything that will slip over it. Wood, plastic, baby rattle handle, tubing, a drilled bolt....
Length diameter and style are as you find it.
Coat your existing part with Vaseline or similar.
Fill whatever slips over it with silicone or jb weld or your choice of hardening or semi hardening material.
Slip the filled piece over that shaft.
Wipe off excess.
Let dry.

Done.

You're all making this way too hard.

I've actually done something similar using "quick steel" if you know what that is, it works, but I need to connect a cable to it and a screw to hold it in place, so I think that wouldn't work as good in this situation.
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
Use the cable itself for the jamb on the flat side.
Sooooo many ways to fix this in a minute.

You're not thinking it all through.
Whatever you attach to the switch/rheostat can be made to fit that cable or a bike pedal or whatever you want.
It's a hole and a self tapping screw. Almost no tools needed.

I had a speedometer cable that allowed me to adjust the twist the distributor timing on a very nasty choke-less Dana Camaro.
It took an hour to engineer and about the same to build.
It's identical to what you want.

That is correct, with that said, I still don't really have all the parts I need, so I need to find a good cable first, and then make it, but that was a very good tip, thanks :)
 

dogdog

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
12,711
Not sure what you are using that for.... but you should be able to fab it yourself no ?

15mm is pretty big size hole about 5/8 or a little over 1/2", it should be easy for you to make something ... just find a counter sunk screw ? not sure what hardware store you have, even here in the US we have HD / Lowes that I can find those screws... pretty sure you can find a tube that is 15mm ID for your needs....


I have made something similar D shape for gas range knobs..... but I didn't needed a set screw. just needed to replace the D tube and "quick steel" it in the knob that is broken....

Took a piece of steel tube/copper tube... slit the tube then form it to the D shape shaft...

as for your situation 3/8 black pipe have a hole diameter of a tat bit less than 1/2" = 12.7mm I am pretty sure it is not hard for your to enlarge it to 15mm.... and pretty sure you can find a piece of plastic to shape it the the fill that missing D to make it a circle... or drill and tap a small hole for your counter sunk screws.... all this you can do with hand tools and minimum machinery.

just saying... buy it or make it...
 
Last edited:

VocaTexas

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2014
Messages
808
Guys, that's not a switch, it's a worm-gear shaft on a telescope mount. You rotate the shaft to move the telescope in either right ascension or declination.

MSACCO, it would help if you put your location in your profile. Knowing where you are located on the planet might help with narrowing down your choices on how to go about building what you want.

If it were me, and I didn't have access to a lathe or drill press, I would take a small length of metal tubing just large enough to slip over the shaft and drill and tap the side for a set screw to tighten up on the flat of the shaft. That's the way the knobs in your link work.
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
Guys, that's not a switch, it's a worm-gear shaft on a telescope mount. You rotate the shaft to move the telescope in either right ascension or declination.

MSACCO, it would help if you put your location in your profile. Knowing where you are located on the planet might help with narrowing down your choices on how to go about building what you want.

If it were me, and I didn't have access to a lathe or drill press, I would take a small length of metal tubing just large enough to slip over the shaft and drill and tap the side for a set screw to tighten up on the flat of the shaft. That's the way the knobs in your link work.

Yep, that's also what Im planning to do :]
 

toplessHO

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
14,165
Location
central florida
some of the plastic knobs that fit that have an insert made of spring steel
you may be able to buy that insert and place it into a knob that has a round hole
 
OP
M

msacco

Active member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
27
Location
None
some of the plastic knobs that fit that have an insert made of spring steel
you may be able to buy that insert and place it into a knob that has a round hole

Maybe but I'll need it to be with a flexibe cable.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom