To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

coil garden hose worth buying

benny27

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
162
I am trying to find a good coil garden hose. About 25 foot should do what I need. Where this hose is at a hose reel just does not work. This is for watering plants.

Any recommendations for one with metal fittings and coil in and out good. thank you
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

ShedLife

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
7
Location
Dartmouth, NS
I have a Gardena portable coil hose that I absolutely love. For some dumb reason they stopped making them and I regret not buying a few to keep in storage. Might still be some around as leftover stock.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
 

JasonMcElroy

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
383
Location
San Jose by way of Philly & NYC
I've had three different brands (and assumed quality levels based on price) and not found a quality one.

One failed at the end fittings. Maybe not crimped correctly?

One leaked right out of the box.

One split after three weeks of use.

I don't think I offer a particularly difficult use case . . . I like water my garden at night with a beer and sometimes in the morning with coffee. I'm not mixing concrete or running trucks over them all day.

The Goodyear real rubber hose continues to last despite being heavy and taking up a bunch of room.

Jason
 

PugetDude

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
22,959
Location
Superstition Mountains, AZ
I use 1/4” hybrid air hose, just adapt the ends to make/female garden hose fittings. Very light, easy to coil up, and a lot more flexible than a normal garden hose.
 

nadogail

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
32,457
Location
Coronado, CA
IMHO, they are all junk. Try to avoid the worst of them. Hoses with Solid Brass fittings are better than those with the stamped ones.
 

LS6 Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
26,162
Location
Northern NJ
Look for a washdown hose or "boat hose".

HoseCoil makes good stuff. I installed one of these in the dishwashing area in the kitchen at work.

My front yard hose reel is right above of a couple of BIG hostas and reaching over to wind up the hose is kind of a pain in the neck. I may just get one for when I need a quick shot of water for a bucket or mixing up yard sprays:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPXSZKM/?tag=atomicindus08-20

If you just want the hose:

3/8"- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV8SX1W/?tag=atomicindus08-20

1/2"- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P4CF3G5/?tag=atomicindus08-20


Tommy
 
Last edited:

kaymccampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
30,173
Location
Upstate New York
I've had about every self coiling hose there is. They all died an early death. Now I've got plain old flexzilla hoses. They live outside all year round, do the job well, and don't die.
 
OP
B

benny27

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
162
I've had about every self coiling hose there is. They all died an early death. Now I've got plain old flexzilla hoses. They live outside all year round, do the job well, and don't die.

I have the flexzilla hoses and they are nice. I just do not have room for a hose reel and if I put a basic hanger up we never put it back all the way so there is just a pile of hose on the ground. I am hoping a coil hose on the ground would be less of a mess.
 

zeke67

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
272
Location
Houston
I had good luck with the coiled air hoses. So I bought a coil garden hose. The hose, full of water, was always a tangled mess. Empty, it was like dealing with a big coiled air hose. But it always had water in so it would get twisted into itself like an old phone code.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

newbIL

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Messages
22
Location
Midwest
IMHO, they are all junk. Try to avoid the worst of them. Hoses with Solid Brass fittings are better than those with the stamped ones.

Yes, I discovered that, with several 125' "medium duty" hoses from Menards. Leaking at various places, within weeks or months of daily use. I admit that they're worked hard.

But just recently discovered "hose menders," under $2 each. Those replacing the male/female ends actually help in handling the ends.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nelson+hose+repair&ref=choice_dp_b around $2 at Menards (big box store in IL)
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.44.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.44.51 PM.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

newbIL

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Messages
22
Location
Midwest
I use 1/4” hybrid air hose, just adapt the ends to make/female garden hose fittings. Very light, easy to coil up, and a lot more flexible than a normal garden hose.

Do you think 100' or 125' hybrid air hose is amenable to be used as water hose? I'm assuming there's sufficient volume exiting the hose?

What specific type of adapters are needed to connect to inlet and to a garden nozzle?
 

PugetDude

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
22,959
Location
Superstition Mountains, AZ
Do you think 100' or 125' hybrid air hose is amenable to be used as water hose? I'm assuming there's sufficient volume exiting the hose?

What specific type of adapters are needed to connect to inlet and to a garden nozzle?

I'm happy with the flow, but I'm not fighting a forest fire or repelling Somali pirates.

Airhose has 1/4" NPT male fittings- ACE hardware had the fittings to adapt to 3/4" male and Female Garden hose. I believe I used a 1/4 to 1/2 reducer coupling and a 1/2 x 3/4 bushing on each end. It will depend on what size brass Garden hose fittings you can find. My hose fittings came from the garden department and the pipe fittings from the plumbing department. My local ACE has fairly knowledgeable associates, HD and Lowes all act like it's their first day on the job.

EDIT; attached a photo of each end.
 

Attachments

  • 3541594F-391A-4E6D-A7AA-2DF0688D9A31.jpg
    3541594F-391A-4E6D-A7AA-2DF0688D9A31.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Matt M PA

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
3,174
Location
SE PA
I wish I still had the package...but I bought a coiled hose a couple months ago at Ace Hardware. If memory serves, it was about $30 and seems nicely made. In this short time..so far so good.
 

CraigStu

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
4,119
Location
Blacksburg, Va
We have one of the shrinking hoses from HD out front for exactly this-watering plants. It sits in a decorative round tub.
https://www.amleo.com/gorilla-tub-t...rid=&msclkid=8e06eadb14e01d3a136db5cdf05a27c3
Its only 1 yr old so no telling how long it will last. The one thing about these is that they only shrink when you turn off the water AND continue to spray. They do not shrink if you just turn off the water and leave. I like that it is very light weight.
 

Dan in Pasadena

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2009
Messages
13,324
Location
Pasadena, CA
Any of you guys using the stainless steel metal garden hoses?

Yeah, I agree - they are small diameter so the volume of water is a lot lower than if you're used to using a 3/4" garden hose like I was. But my sister bought me one when I b!tched about my kinking hoses. One with heavy brass fittings.

I had literally bought & returned EVERY type hose Home Depot sold trying to find one that wouldn't kink. Some were better than others but all kinked.

I've gotten used to the metal one for watering flowers and they REALLY DO NOT KINK. That alone has value to me.
 

LS6 Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
26,162
Location
Northern NJ
Any of you guys using the stainless steel metal garden hoses?

Yeah, I agree - they are small diameter so the volume of water is a lot lower than if you're used to using a 3/4" garden hose like I was. But my sister bought me one when I b!tched about my kinking hoses. One with heavy brass fittings.

I had literally bought & returned EVERY type hose Home Depot sold trying to find one that wouldn't kink. Some were better than others but all kinked.

I've gotten used to the metal one for watering flowers and they REALLY DO NOT KINK. That alone has value to me.

Do you mean the 25' hand shower hose with garden hose ends?

Tommy
 

kaymccampbell

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
30,173
Location
Upstate New York
I have the flexzilla hoses and they are nice. I just do not have room for a hose reel and if I put a basic hanger up we never put it back all the way so there is just a pile of hose on the ground. I am hoping a coil hose on the ground would be less of a mess.

This sounds like a religious problem.
You n yours need to religiously put the hose away. When I'm done with my hoses, they get rehung. It takes maybe 5 seconds, or less.
Do you need the whole length of hose at this station? If not, then why not custom cut it to the required length and reterminate it? Then you won't have so much to hang up. I did this to most of mine.
 
Last edited:

Rory Bellows

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
1,083
Location
Ohio
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom