To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Craftsman Vise 51856 #6 6" jaws

Joined
Feb 15, 2023
Messages
5
There are no vises like this on sale anywhere. Retail was $139 and change at walmart. weighs about 40 pounds reversible jaws.
 

Attachments

  • P1020800.JPG
    P1020800.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 105
  • P1020811.JPG
    P1020811.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P1020807.JPG
    P1020807.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 100
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Shiftless

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
14,999
Location
East Bay SFO
There were a few of those 51856 model Craftsmans for sale on eBay a while back at $79 each plus shipping. They all sold. Those T shaped front jaws have a tendency to break off if clamping force is near the ends of the jaws.

IMHO, If a guy needs a vise, he is much better off picking up a well made vintage USA vise and doing a bit of clean up and lubrication.

What‘s your location? I might be able to point you toward some decent CL listings. Based on your screen name, I am guessing Los Angeles.

If you REALLY want new, I see that the Harbor Freight Doyle 4 inch vise is now $120
I have heard that it’s not too bad.
 
Last edited:

Shiftless

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
14,999
Location
East Bay SFO
Here is a good deal on a great old vise. You are looking for an excuse to drive to San Diego aren’t you? 😁

This vise has 4 1/2 inch wide jaws and weighs in at a very hefty 87 pounds. I have a smaller Morgan and I can tell you that it is a VERY solid vise.


C80E54E6-BB2A-44DF-B81A-69A81103C787.jpeg
 
Last edited:

tool_scrounge

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
4,268
Location
Southern California
Here is a good deal on a great old vise. You are looking for an excuse to drive to San Diego aren’t you? 😁

This vise has 4 1/2 inch wide jaws and weighs in at a very hefty 87 pounds. I have a smaller Morgan and I can tell you that it is a VERY solid vise.


C80E54E6-BB2A-44DF-B81A-69A81103C787.jpeg
I posted that in the hot deals forum. That was only after I begrudgingly convinced myself I did need another one! They are nice vises. I really like the 10” opening.
 

Shiftless

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2014
Messages
14,999
Location
East Bay SFO
T.S.:
This is GJ... Of course you need another one. I have over 90 vises and I just bought 2 more in the past week.
 

tool_scrounge

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
4,268
Location
Southern California
T.S.:
This is GJ... Of course you need another one. I have over 90 vises and I just bought 2 more in the past week.
It was very tempting. Morgan tends to be a “sleeper” vise brand on the used market. Nice quality but tend not to sell for big bucks. I hope someone on the GJ gets it.
 
OP
B
Joined
Feb 15, 2023
Messages
5
I didn't know this was a buy and sell site. I thought it was a forum for tool guys. So I get an answer from a guy who has 90 Vises for sale? I was trying to get away from all like offer up and craigslist.
 

Leaflessshadetree

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
7,235
Location
Don't ask.
Plenty of usable vises similar to that Craftsman (size/weight/quality) on the market. Many are less than $140 new.
Sure there are craftsman collectors but usually hand tools, I don't know if teh vises have much of a following.

The guy with 90 vises never said any of his were for sale (he's nearing the 100 milestone). Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't count the vises(s) he actually uses. I knew a guy that collected wood planes. I don't think he did any woodworking owned any other woodworking tools.


 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
B
Joined
Feb 15, 2023
Messages
5
Thanks everybody for your responses!
For the price range this is a usable vise for a home mechanic.
Originally sold at Walmart for $139.95 none in stock. So $95 for a "Like New" is a decent deal for the end user.
I have an identical (except jaw width) 5" that says made in USA on the side. Same vise.
 

Attachments

  • 023396eb-e502-4869-9c92-b0123d537d5c_1.2cdb9e9acc27a52e2ad40547308145ce.jpeg
    023396eb-e502-4869-9c92-b0123d537d5c_1.2cdb9e9acc27a52e2ad40547308145ce.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 91aBMi1gxpL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    91aBMi1gxpL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 26

exmaxima1

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2011
Messages
6,359
Location
Midwest
Thanks everybody for your responses!
For the price range this is a usable vise for a home mechanic.
Originally sold at Walmart for $139.95 none in stock. So $95 for a "Like New" is a decent deal for the end user.
I have an identical (except jaw width) 5" that says made in USA on the side. Same vise.
I think the USA models were made by Columbian and look remarkably like Wilton vises of that same era.
 

Attachments

  • DSC05672.JPG
    DSC05672.JPG
    805.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05673.JPG
    DSC05673.JPG
    706.9 KB · Views: 32

jayemm

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 18, 2018
Messages
1,641
Location
up high down low
I think the USA models were made by Columbian and look remarkably like Wilton vises of that same era.
They were made by Columbian. I had a 4-1/2" (opened to 5-1/2") for years. If I had to do some rather heavy hammering (a no-no) I found that 2X4 would fit perfectly between the bench and the front jaw to offer more support. Think I paid $35-40 back in 1992. Good vise.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom