To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Daytona Super Duty Jack Knockoff At Menards

OP
S

Skeptic68W

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Messages
416
The Daytona “Super duty” uses Poly Ucups on the Pump pistons also, they just cheaped out on Main Ram Piston seal. That is where they went with a Oring/Retainer seal versus the Poly Ucup. It sounds like the Napa might use the same internals as the HF super duty.

Ooo, gotcha. I took the Napa wording to mean that they were doing the opposite. I'm just an idiot with hydraulics though so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
The Daytona “Super duty” uses Poly Ucups on the Pump pistons also, they just cheaped out on Main Ram Piston seal. That is where they went with a Oring/Retainer seal versus the Poly Ucup. It sounds like the Napa might use the same internals as the HF super duty.

@Hiball, (sorry to hijack the thread) now that you’re talking about seals: can you comment on your experience between poly u cups and stacked chevron vees? One thing that I’ve always been curious about is that It seems that the Walker / Lincoln 93657 power pump went from vees to a u cup (sometime In the mid 1980s? I think the change happened between the J and K series), yet their 93642 jacks have kept the vees in the pump pistons, and it’s still this way for the pumps today in the “new HW” jacks.
 

Hiball

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
14,038
Location
Missery
@Hiball, (sorry to hijack the thread) now that you’re talking about seals: can you comment on your experience between poly u cups and stacked chevron vees? One thing that I’ve always been curious about is that It seems that the Walker / Lincoln 93657 power pump went from vees to a u cup (sometime In the mid 1980s? I think the change happened between the J and K series), yet their 93642 jacks have kept the vees in the pump pistons, and it’s still this way for the pumps today in the “new HW” jacks.

I believe the change happened later than the 80’s, I’ve never seen a walker unit with a Ucup on the power side, Ive seen the solid side Framed Lincoln’s with and without. In regards to what is better, the Vees hold the edge in longevity, the Ucups in regards to ease of installation and availability. It takes some experience to properly install the Vees on the 93657 without damaging them, Ucups are much more forgiving in this situation.
 
Last edited:

WittHay

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
2,157
Location
Surrey, BC Canada
The Snap-on FJ jacks and the copy's are definitely a interesting type of jack. Longer and higher lift than the traditional heavy duty 3 1/2 ton type jacks. Lower profile for cars and come with the bolt on front wheels.

The only ones available up here are the FJ's from 2 ton to 4 ton. No other company sells this type of jack. In the states they seem to be a box store type of jack. Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, Menards, Torin Jack Boss from Amazon and a different colored Jack Boss for Tractor Supply

Interesting thing is there is no information about these jacks from Torins website. So who makes what and the quality of each is probably changing from year to year

Regarding double pumper jacks we have been using locally imported 3 1/2 ton Sunex types for years. Look like the old school Napa ones. They work good and are stable for higher equipment but definitely takes some muscles to pump when lifting any where near their full capacity. The made in Japan 2 ton types and the Hein-Werner are a lot easier to pump
 

Attachments

  • Snap-on FJ.jpg
    Snap-on FJ.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Snap-On-Daytona.jpg
    Snap-On-Daytona.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Yellow Jacket.jpg
    Yellow Jacket.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Masterforce-T830008-L.jpg
    Masterforce-T830008-L.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Torin Jack Boss.jpg
    Torin Jack Boss.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 49
  • Torin Super Duty.jpg
    Torin Super Duty.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
Just a heads up for any of you who were thinking of buying a yellow daytona super duty but prefer green to yellow.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...floor-jack/t830008/p-1555569041912-c-9113.htm

HF doesn't allow 20% off coupon on the Daytona jacks, but Menards 11% rebate does apply to this, so it can be had for $195.

Hiball, are these able to be repaired/rebuilt easily like the older jacks? Would like to get a "buy it for life" jack, and I'm not sure this is it.

Up to $240.29 now, after the rebate. So about $45.00 more.
I think the rebate is a gift card.
Has anyone got the Masterforce jack from Menards?
(I know highball said this is a better design)
How is this jack holding up,
Any issues with it?
Absolutely no point purchasing a cheaper one from harbor freight with only a 90-day warranty!
Harbor freight has one for $199 but it's only 90 day warranty it's just not worth it.
My Menards store has two in stock.
If anyone has any recent experience with this Jack let me know please.
(Harbor freight knock off what is this world coming to. LMAO)
 
Last edited:

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
Looking at Menards a bit, at least one other jack, also has the 3 year warranty.
It's a "harbor freight knock off".....lol...as well.
Masterforce™ 3 Ton Low Profile Floor Jack
It's $164.64 after rebate.
I'm maybe thinking about this one too.
Don't know if this one has the better seals in it or not?

Also......
The rebate details State something to the effect of the gift card or voucher cannot be used on Menards.com.
Does that mean I can't even order online with it (the gift card) and pick up in store in other words I have to use it at the actual brick and mortar store?
 
Last edited:

dwasifar

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
2,159
Is the server down?
I can't seem to view anything with the Tapatalk app for The garage journal app but I can get on here with the Apps but I can with Chrome.
And obviously you saw my message to react to it.
If you can log in and post, the server is not down.

I don't understand your second sentence, though.
 

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
@bubinga

Here’s a link to a picture of the T830026 ($165 jack) and T830008 ($240 jack) seal kits:

You’ll notice the seal kit for the T830026 is different from the T830008. To me, it looks like the T830026 has the blue U cup for the main ram, whereas the T830008 has U cups for the main ram, speed piston, and power piston.
 

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
So you'd go with the higher price one?

I don’t like to tell people how to spend their money.

The Chinese imported dual pump jack you see everywhere today was introduced around a decade ago. Torin started offering the U cup seals starting back around 2013-ish as an option for brands/distributors to buy. The Snap On FJ300 was first sold around 2013. The HF yellow Daytona first sold in 2016. Therefore, long term durability of any of these jacks is unknown.

The old Asian import jacks from Japan and Taiwan that used the “Yasui” design, incorporating U cups were jacks whose seals lasted 30ish years.

IMHO, by buying the more expensive Menards jack, You would be hoping that the Chinese dual pump design mated with the u cups at all the pistons/ram would also give similar 30ish years of service. The longer warranty also helps assure that any early failures due to QC/manufacturing defects will be taken care of by Menards. By buying the cheaper Menards jack, you could make the assumption that the pump piston seals would more likely give out before the main ram seal gives out.

But seals are not the only thing that determines jack longevity. Hydraulic design, manufacturing tolerances, cylinder finish, cleanliness of manufacturing/cleaniness of oil, and QC practices also contribute ... these other factors are difficult to compare between floor jack ... it is already hard enough to figure out what seals a particular import jack uses.
 

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
Thanks.
Sounds like somewhat of a gamble with either Jack although we do know the seals are better in the more expensive (Menards)Jack than the similar harbor freight one. I wonder if they keep offering that rebate if I don't make a decision within a few days I see the rebate expires on the 12th of this month.
Probably not going to decide before tomorrow.
Hopefully, having that expiration on the rebate is a marketing ploy and they keep putting it back on fairly often I don't know?
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

dscheidt

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2017
Messages
3,007
The Menards warranty.

I see I have to mail in my receipt for the rebate.
If I need to warranty a jack within 3 years do I need to make a copy of the receipt for the replacement warranty?
When menards is doing the 11% rebate, you get a two part receipt. The top part is a normal receipt, the bottom part is a rebate receipt that has much less detail. You only need to mail that in. You should take a picture of the receipt, it's much less like to fade that way...

You can also reprint a receipt at the service desk, if you have the credit card you used to make the purchase. Can't use that for the rebate, thoughn.
 

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
Oh okay good to know about the two-part receipt
I think I'm going to wait for now but you know I can almost bet the next round of rebates that, the price of that Jack will increase. It seems like it's slowly sneaking up in price over the last couple years.
 

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
Thanks.
Sounds like somewhat of a gamble with either Jack although we do know the seals are better in the more expensive (Menards)Jack than the similar harbor freight one. I wonder if they keep offering that rebate if I don't make a decision within a few days I see the rebate expires on the 12th of this month.
Probably not going to decide before tomorrow.
Hopefully, having that expiration on the rebate is a marketing ploy and they keep putting it back on fairly often I don't know?

I wouldn’t call it a “gamble”. I think of it more as ”a point to consider when spending money on a jack”. If two jacks are identical other than in seals, you are going to get a more durable product with a U cup seal than an o ring/retainer seal. I’m actually encouraged that these companies are realizing that some consumers will pay more for a more durable product. A brand / distributer that is putting a U cup seal in their jacks is trying to put out a “better product”.

IMHO, what you’re trying to do is in this example: 4 companies sell their variant of the Chinese dual pump jack. Company A sells their jack with all o ring seals for $130. Company B sells their jack with all o ring seals for $350. Company C sells their jack that has some u cup seals and some o rings seals for $230. company D sells their jacks with all u cups seals for $250. .... I’d say company A is fine since they’re selling a cheap jack for cheap. Company D is fine since their upgraded seals likely warrant an upgraded price. Company C is okay since they’re in between. However, company B looks to be “maximizing their own profits”.

of course, we’re not discussing/including jacks of other designs. One can look at Milwaukee Hydraulics and wonder how some of their o ring sealed jacks are reported to being lasting 50+ years. What cant be overlooked is their their hydraulic unit design is completely different, and their brochures boast things like “manufacturing tolerances to aviation specs”, and “internal parts chromed to prevent corrosion, galling, and prolong seal life.”
 

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
@bubinga

Here’s a link to a picture of the T830026 ($165 jack) and T830008 ($240 jack) seal kits:

You’ll notice the seal kit for the T830026 is different from the T830008. To me, it looks like the T830026 has the blue U cup for the main ram, whereas the T830008 has U cups for the main ram, speed piston, and power piston.
This has the same number as the master Force jack it is a torin-jack boss
I guess that would have the same seal kit.
Someone stated torin does make the master Force jack. And I see the numbers are the same I'm just curious.
 

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
This has the same number as the master Force jack it is a torin-jack boss
I guess that would have the same seal kit.
Someone stated torin does make the master Force jack. And I see the numbers are the same I'm just curious.

Yes, the Menards Masterforce, Torin JackBoss, and the Northern Tools Yellowjacket share the same rebuilt seal kit. I think it is Torin part number T830008.MF(you can find it on the hcrcnow.com website). That means all three jacks use U cups on the main ram, speed piston, and power piston. They are as close to brothers as you can get. There may be other jacks out there that have the same internal seals, but AFAIK, this forum hasn’t found them yet. We know the Snap on FJ300 advertises that it has U cups in all three areas, but no one has confirmed it with by either identifying a seal kit or disassembling one for the internet to see. We do know that the HF yellow Daytona is different because it has the U cups on the speed and power pistons, and an o ring/retainer seal on the main ram.

I would consider the Menards Masterforce, Torin JackBoss, and Northern Tools Yellowjacket equivalent. Therefore it would come down to price, warranty (The three of them have different warranties), and local availability. Local in store availability really is something to consider - you won’t need to worry about any shipping damage (the jacks are roughly 100 lbs), missing parts from the box, it’s easier to make warranty/returns in store etc.
 
Last edited:

Hiball

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
14,038
Location
Missery
Someone stated these Master forced jacks and I guess the similar harbor freight torin, yellow jacket etc. take higher effort to jack up the weight.
They are not real hard to jack up, are they?

Impossible to answer, Handle effort is determined by multiple factors, Obviously the weight of the load, handle length also plays a role, the correlation between the Power piston size and cylinder bore is another. I can say for a fact that the Daytona super duty feels normal too me, I would expect the same from the other brands as well. Don’t overthink it...
 
Last edited:

ajchien

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
2,656
Location
Los Angeles, stuck on the 60 freeway.
Someone stated these Master forced jacks and I guess the similar harbor freight torin, yellow jacket etc. take higher effort to jack up the weight.
They are not real hard to jack up, are they?

I’ve seen the same infrequent complaints written on the internet here and there about the dual pump jacks. It seems people will say that it requires “more effort”, or “too many pumps”, or “the jack struggles”. I have no idea what they’re expecting or comparing it to though.

You‘ll have to read up on ”Pascal’s law” which is what Hiball alluded to when referring to power piston and cylinder bore sizes. Simplified ... when the jack is loaded - it’s a trade off between effort and number of handle pumps. The jacks that raise a load faster require more effort, and the jacks that need more pumps to achieve the same height require less effort. If you ever own a jack that you want to complain that it requires “too much effort”, realize it took you fewer pumps to lift. If you ever want to complain that a jack required “too many pumps”, realize it took less effort on each pump.
 

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)
Ok, thanks guys.
The only other thing, we just recently got a menards, so no experience with warranty, or returns.
Should one of the jacks need warranty, do I just take it back to the store and they'll give me another one without hassle within the warranty period?
 
Last edited:

dscheidt

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2017
Messages
3,007
Ok, thanks guys.
The only other thing, we just recently got a menards, so no experience with warranty, or returns.
Should one of the jacks need warranty, do I just take it back to the store and they'll give me another one without hassle within the warranty period?
That's how it's worked with the stuff I've had them replace. They will probably want to see the receipt. Take a picture, scan it, or make a photocopy; their register receipts fade badly, and you won't be able to read it in a year. (unless it's for something unimportant, than it will be legible for a century...)
 

bubinga

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
12,744
Location
Bridgeport Ohio. (Across River From Wheeling WV)

Up to $240.29 now, after the rebate. So about $45.00 more.
I think the rebate is a gift card.
Has anyone got the Masterforce jack from Menards?
(I know highball said this is a better design)
How is this jack holding up,
Any issues with it?
Absolutely no point purchasing a cheaper one from harbor freight with only a 90-day warranty!
Harbor freight has one for $199 but it's only 90 day warranty it's just not worth it.
My Menards store has two in stock.
If anyone has any recent experience with this Jack let me know please.
(Harbor freight knock off what is this world coming to. LMAO)
Up to $258.09 now.
I knew they would raise it again. So about $60.00 more already in a year.
Does Menards ever actually put this stuff on sale or is the 11% rebate about it?
 

Houe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
84
Up to $258.09 now.
I knew they would raise it again. So about $60.00 more already in a year.
Does Menards ever actually put this stuff on sale or is the 11% rebate about it?
Menards has this jack on clearance for $250 plus we have the 11% rebate going on now. I just picked one up this evening. Seems like a decent deal. I'm guessing with tariffs the price was going to have to go up beyond what Menards deems to be there customer base willingness. Last chance on this one...
 

tomsatx

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
56
Location
San Antonio, TX
Thank you for this info. I was debating between a daytona long reach low profile, super duty and a local ad that popped up for a Carlyle legacy 3.5 ton 7916440 for $60. The model brought me here showing the poly u cups for the high pressure piston seals and found way more info than I needed, but I found gold.

I'm in Texas and Menards is not here and shipping is $400, but the yellow jacket is available locally at Northern and Amazon and other stores. Honestly I think grabbing a vintage unit is best, but any of these listed will suffice until I can source a vintage jack and restore the jack, then sell off the newer jack.

Are any of the aluminum 2-3 ton jacks available that incorporate the same poly seals for the critical areas? To me, pairing a vintage jack with an aluminum will be all I need, and skip having to sell the newer jack.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom