To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

do anyone make a proper funnel for pouring gas into a car?

wild cowboy

Banned
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
1,650
Location
Birmingham
I like to get old cars going, and I like to put at least 5 fresh gallons in them when they haven't run in a while and the gas inside is suspect. This seems really basic, but try to find a funnel suitable for pouring 5 gallons of gas into a car from a metal safety can with no spout.

a good funnel should:

● have a 13/16" spout like an unleaded gas pump nozzle does, for fast flow, not some 1/2" or something else retarded

● have a right angle bend upwards since the fuel door is on the side of most vehicles

● be rigid enough for one man operation , I shouldn't need a second person to hold the funnel in place

● have a reservoir area that is a decent size, like a half-gallon, not a pint


Hard to believe that there doesn't seem to be a decent funnel on the market for pouring gas into a vehicle, if you know of one that meets even most of the criteria above, please enlighten me! - finding a good funnel should not be this difficult!
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

619DioFan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
3,617
Location
San Diego , Ca.
The only funnel I have had luck with in this situation is a trans fluid funnel. long enough to reach into the fill pipe and stay put ( one man operation ) the flow is slower due to the size of the funnel outlet ( suppose you could trim/shorten it to make the opening bigger ) the top area dosent hold that much fuel so I just take my time with the pour.
 

tms0425

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
59
Location
Clear Lake IN
I put a lot of fuel from 5g cans into my boats at the dock and always use a super siphon. They drain very fast and never spill a drop, so I quit using funnels and such a long time ago.
 
OP
W

wild cowboy

Banned
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
1,650
Location
Birmingham
Super-Siphon.....hmmm.....reviews sound good, it's slower than what I would like (1.5 minutes for 5 gallons) - I wonder if they have a larger high flow model?
 

DodgeMech

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2012
Messages
1,858
just get a race can w/ long hose on the cap...obama doesn't want us transporting fuel in them, but whatever...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W27Y6C/?tag=atomicindus08-20
21Mszui-TmL.jpg


http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003179O2Y/?tag=atomicindus08-20
61QCz5N1DML._SL1495_.jpg


they pour a lot quicker, and have easy flow control via the screw in vent
 

RECox286

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
1,399
Location
South Joisey (yeah, that is part of the USA)
I prefer to use a transmission fluid servicing funnel. It is long

enough to stand away from the filler neck, the horn is big enough

to be easy to aim for, and the small part at the bottom is small

enough to fit inside the filler where the fueling nozzle fits, which also

helps make it more steady Not to mention, that the price is, eh,

reasonable too ! Try it, I think you'll like it...

Uncle Bob
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
W

wild cowboy

Banned
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
1,650
Location
Birmingham
just get a race can w/ long hose on the cap...obama doesn't want us transporting fuel in them, but whatever...
wow I didn't think you could even get those any more! :eek:

I do like my safety can though, because I don't like stinking up the truck to go get gas.

also the vent is in the wrong place on the VP can, it really is no improvement on an older plastic gas can with a larger vent.
 
Last edited:

stage20

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
3,722
Location
pcola FL
I use the race jug and hose no funnel. Get a barb adapter for the hose and then grind down the other side of the barb a bit. You can stick it in the filler neck. Then tip the jug.
 

SuburbanRuss

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
83
Location
Redmond, WA
And i realize that has a 1/2 spout... its tough to find the old ones anymore. I remember my grandpa having them on his ranch growing up.
 

Racer56

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
15
Location
Cleveland, OH
hey, that Scribner funnel is the closest thing I have seen yet to a great design :thumbup:, any idea of the O.D. at the end of the spout? - how fast can you pour?

and where is the cheapest place to get one?

It's not a terribly big opening. Probably more than 1/2 an inch, but not much more. It takes a couple minutes to pour a full 5 gallon jug through. The jug with the spout will pour faster (that's what I personally use).

And that's about as cheap as I know of.
 
OP
W

wild cowboy

Banned
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
1,650
Location
Birmingham
And i realize that has a 1/2 spout... its tough to find the old ones anymore. I remember my grandpa having them on his ranch growing up.
there is plenty of stuff on ebay to easily modify a current plastic can from Wal-Mart into the old style if you can drill a 1/2" hole for the pop-in vent.

I have just gotten used to those Eagle & Justrite metal safety cans and the fact that you no longer have to inhale gas all of the time in the garage or the car.
 

justme-

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2014
Messages
787
Location
Boston suburbs
This might be a really stupid question, but what not just get a good gas can with a spout and be done with it?

Well, simply because thanks to CARB rules all gas cans on the market are junk. CARB regulated gas vapor release and essentially self stopping nozzles which meant no more vented cans (causing burping and poor flow) and these PITA nozzles that always break, seldom let gas out, and when they do they either spill it all over (causing many documented fires) or make it impossible to dispense that gas into anything that needs it. You almost have to take the nozzle off now and use a funnel, especially those metal cans.

cheaper solution - one that actually works is the E-Z pour replacement spout kit - it undoes the CARB bs.
by the way, it's pretty well documented (I've read tons online but never bookmarked any to link here) how much of a disaster these CARB compliant cans are accomplishing what the CARB "goal" was including several documented cases of fires and serious injuries resulting from spilled gas from said "safety cans"...more of us need to get legitimately upset and get rid of the regulations.
 

fordbroncodave

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
4,555
the VP cans are great as long as the vent is open.

I would suggest getting a brand new transmission funnel and heating it to put a perminant bend in it for it to stand upright.

to hold it in place get a magnet and a bungee strap and attach it to the funnel
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom