To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Driveway to Garage Pitch Engineering for Low Car

pgtr

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
120
Location
TX
Finishing new house and detached workshop... They are starting on the flat work including driveways... The lowest car I have is about 5.3" at the mid-point with a 105.6" wheel base (mid point 52.8"). (base stock 2010 C6)

I'm dealing with strings and gravel and forms at this point... The driveway into the attached garages goes UP at about a 14% grade. Using the car dimensions above - I'm calculating that this car can handle about a 15% grade transition into level garage floor without bottoming out in the middle (when the front axle is halfway in and the rear is halfway out and middle is at lowest point with front edge of garage... but it sure seems close. Anway - Does this sound about right?

Here's an example I found (left image)...
steep-driveway-solutions-slope.jpg

The detached workshop has a driveway that goes DOWN - I'd estimate at about an 11.5% grade. For drainage purposes it goes back up 'slightly' for about 10 or 15' before entering garage (I don't know this grade - it's very slight probably 2-3% negative grade from workshop). I can probably change the location of this 'valley' in or out but it needs to be there to drain water away from workshop that is otherwise coming down the hill towards the workshop doors.

In this case aggregating the 2 pitches gives a combined ~13% grade change - the concern here being as you nose in - the front of a low car might potentially come in contact with the drive as you transition from the downward drive into the apron entering the shop. My lowest car does not have a splitter and the air dam is rubberized and designed to deflect. Crude measurements from the front axle to the tip of the nose is about 33" with a height of about 6.5 inches at the nose suggests I can take a pretty aggressive transition here - maybe 19% (the air dam starts deflecting at <15% but I can live w/ that...)

Here's an example I found ...
yGGe1tX8BfxPHIX9aYvMumqC1J6AtXDbcBANBEdT0&usqp=CAU.jpg

Due to the lot layout - the 2 drives are actually connected. Hard to describe but if I reduce the grade of the attached garage a little - the downward grade into the workshop get's steeper.

I think I'm going to request the contractor add more material at the drive up and into the attached garage to lessen the up hill grade a little. The resulting increase in the downward grade into the workshop will get steeper. But I think I can handle that more readily and I will use that portion of the driveway far less frequently. Thoughts?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Sumboodie

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2021
Messages
11,188
Location
AK
15% grade is fairly steep for a driveway. Will be interesting in the winter.

I live on a 9% grade hill. I've spun out on it twice this winter, once with my 4wd 5500 Dodge.

That being said, I get around ok in a lowered G35. It scrapes on stuff, but haven't been stuck yet. I have about 2" of clearance. (Not a winter car of course)
 

ATC

Well-known member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
8,581
Location
VA
Is your driveway going to have sharp angles like shown in your first illustration, or can the angles be smoothed out into an arc? I've seen it both ways, so just wondering...

A smooth arc will be much more forgiving to a low car.
 

wssix99

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2011
Messages
5,195
Location
Chicago, IL
The lowest car I have is about 5.3"

Its effectively much less than that because of your suspension. As the car moves, your springs/shocks compress and rebound. This dimension is constantly changing as you move and hit the brakes.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

racecougar

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2021
Messages
5,717
Location
Missouri
15% grade is fairly steep for a driveway. Will be interesting in the winter.

I live on a 9% grade hill. I've spun out on it twice this winter, once with my 4wd 5500 Dodge.

That being said, I get around ok in a lowered G35. It scrapes on stuff, but haven't been stuck yet. I have about 2" of clearance. (Not a winter car of course)
It's all a matter of perspective. About 250' of my gravel road/driveway is 20% grade (not 20 degrees). It's steep-ish, but I drive lowered RWD sports cars in/out without issue nearly every day. My neighbor's road has a section that is nearly 30% grade; that's one that you'd definitely need 4WD on in the Winter.
 

Sumboodie

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2021
Messages
11,188
Location
AK
It's all a matter of perspective. About 250' of my gravel road/driveway is 20% grade (not 20 degrees). It's steep-ish, but I drive lowered RWD sports cars in/out without issue nearly every day. My neighbor's road has a section that is nearly 30% grade; that's one that you'd definitely need 4WD on in the Winter.
4wd and tire chains! Or own a chained up sander and plow.... and yes, I know a few people that are setup like that. Or have a heated driveway.

Lived in a place with a steep driveway. Was lively trying to get out of the car and the door trying to chop your legs off.
Several times a car slid down into the street. Had a 90s Subaru that wouldn't stay while in gear and the park brake on.
 
OP
P

pgtr

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
120
Location
TX
The road, garage and workshop are fixed (and pretty much always were though I did spend some extra $ at the beginning of the project to raise the foundation of the shop to help w/ future drive grade - which it definitely did).

Met w/ the prime contractor and flatwork subcontractor in the AM and he brought his laser level. They came up w/ a way to get all the grades uniformly to about 11-ish %.

So I think we're good enough - better than yesterday - based on the lot elevations we built on.

thanks
 

PCMusicGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
860
Location
Houston, TX
Glad it was sorted. I miss having a flat driveway. I want to move out of suburbia so my Corvette doesn't scrap the air dam every day.
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
15% grade is fairly steep for a driveway. Will be interesting in the winter.

I live on a 9% grade hill. I've spun out on it twice this winter, once with my 4wd 5500 Dodge.

That being said, I get around ok in a lowered G35. It scrapes on stuff, but haven't been stuck yet. I have about 2" of clearance. (Not a winter car of course)
A 15% grade driveway is pretty normal in many places, including those that have winters, like the northeast
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom