To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Epoxying Suspended Slab Garage with cracks

KuZo

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
8
Location
Buffalo, NY
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around as a visitor for a while, and tonight I finally joined.

My house was built in the 50's and it has a suspended slab garage with a walkout garage underneath. The problem I have is every time I park in there after it rains or after I drive in the snow, it leaks directly into the garage below. Heck, even if I park the snwblower in there with snow on it, it leaks through.

I want to, somehow, waterproof the floor to eliminate this problem. What options do I have here? My biggest concern are the cracks. I feel that since it's a suspended slab, it will never "settle" and will always move slightly when I drive on it. I know there are elastomer type membranes that can waterproof the floor which should stop the leak and move with the concrete, but what about the epoxy on top? If it was epoxied, will those cracks eventually break through the epoxy and show the cracks again?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
K

KuZo

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
8
Location
Buffalo, NY
Anyone else have any ideas? I had a company come out and give me a quote for a dur-a-flex epoxied floor with flake and the elasti-kote underlayment, but I'm still not sure the epoxy will not crack. I don't always trust contractors word on these things.
 

Mush07071

Active member
Joined
Jul 24, 2012
Messages
41
How large a floor is it? Hopefully it is structurally sound to support waterer goes in it.
I would think a nice rollout Linoleum or some sort of vinyl roll sheet floor would work.

As long as you glue it down real good and it doesn't get wet underneath.. I would roll it up the walls a few inches and calk the edges down..
 
OP
K

KuZo

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
8
Location
Buffalo, NY
It's a 2.5 car garage so approximately 440 sq/ft. It still supports both cars parked on it, so I am sure it's still structurally sound, not sure of any other way to test it.
 

ConCretin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
3,381
Location
Central Maine
I'm surprised some of the epoxy guys haven't weighed in yet - I'm sure they can suggest a product that would work for you.

We have done a lot of parking garages where the concrete decks are covered with traffic bearing water proofing. Basically a roof you can drive on. It's an epoxy product but its designed to accommodate some movement across joints and usually has an aggregate cast in for traction.

There's probably a residential equivalent but it's not likely to be cheap. Sealing the slab against continued water intrusion will probably extend it's life considerably so it might be worth it.

Just out of curiosity, how is your slab constructed? How thick it it and was it formed or cast on metal decking?
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
K

KuZo

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
8
Location
Buffalo, NY
Yea I was hoping I'd get a little more action on this topic.....

To be honest I can't really tell how it is constructed. From underneath I see concrete that has some type of old asphalt material glued on it (for what reason I don't know). I am assuming it is formed as I can't see any metal underneath. There are two metal I beams that hold the structure up with jack posts supporting them in the middle.

I just found out about those traffic bearing membranes while searching online tonight, but not sure who would install them. What types of contractors would be capable of installing these membranes?
 
Last edited:

ConCretin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
3,381
Location
Central Maine
I just found out about those traffic bearing membranes while searching online tonight, but not sure who would install them. What types of contractors would be capable of installing these membranes?

Try looking for companies specializing in waterproofing or concrete repair and restoration. Those are the companies that do this kind of work where I am but it might be different elsewhere.
 
OP
K

KuZo

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
8
Location
Buffalo, NY
The flooring company told me they are using elastocoat as the membrane which states it is a light traffic membrane. I would assume it would work fine for garages. The flooring contractor said it would isolate the cracks and they should not transfer through to the finished flooring. Any thoughts here?
 

LegacyIndustrial

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Jun 7, 2010
Messages
7,995
Location
deerfield, IL
Give this thread a little time. The epoxy guys usually weigh in eventually. . .they just gotta smell a sale. . .:p

I am on the trail now. Sorry for the delay. Surprisingly busy for January.

We have a gel crack filler with good elongation properties in addition to an epoxy coating that does well with moving substrates (wood, suspended decks, etc...).

Please see the links:

Link: http://legacyindustrial.net/cart/hd821-crack-sealant-gel-style-p-94.html

Coating Link: http://legacyindustrial.net/cart/flexible-epoxy-primer-hd139-2-gal-p-105.html
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom