To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Garage doors - insulated with windows?

stickshift

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,246
Location
northeastern US
Have some deficiencies with my old garage doors (wood doors that need sanding and painting, need repair to bent tracks, need to seal off airflow, need insulation) and rather than investing time and effort in these old doors, considering buying new insulated doors that I'll install myself. The gd openers still work fine, so I can continue to use those.

Looking at the R12 and R18 doors. I see these are offered with and without windows. Seems like you'd have a dramatic reduction in overall R-value if you opt for windows. That said, I currently have windows and it seems like something you could easily miss after installing doors without windows and realizing you converted your attached garage into a cave.

For guys who have installed insulated doors, did you go with windowed or windowless. If the latter, did you regret that choice?

I suppose installing a motion sensor for the garage lights might alleviate the notion that you're walking into a pitch black garage.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

tarmy

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
4,803
Location
Nor Cal
Windows in mine...snow country as well. I like the light they let in.

935E8DE2-4AA4-4565-B6E9-8B0A3D392647.jpg
 

bp460

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
282
Location
Chicagoland
I went with windows in the top section of my insulated garage door and don't regret it. The previous door had windows and I knew I would miss being able to see outside if I didn't include them.

-Brad
 

Steve W.

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
1,311
Location
Southwest oHIo
Insulated doors with no windows here. Smaller shop (24 x 30) have at least one window on each wall, so there's still some light coming in.

Plenty of lights in the ceiling, separate switches for different work zones. If the big door is up, fewer lights might need to be on, but I don't usually turn on much beyond where I'm working during that garage session.

.
 

tambamkam

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2019
Messages
6
Location
Highview KY
I went with windows, I like the light, and being able to see who is pulling up.
I went the Ideal R12 from Menards for a "budget friendly" option.
Self install was straight forward and done in a afternoon.
I keep my garage warm most of time and I have been pleased with my door for the last year!
 
Last edited:

Glemon

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2020
Messages
2,313
Location
NE
We had a house built in the 90s that had garage doors with no windows, and the garage itself only had windows in the back of the double deep section. Pretty much how they were building them then.

I backed a car I was painting into the door (don't ever drive a car with the windows taped and papered over in a garage--do I even need to say that?). We replaced the old doors with windowed doors, the natural light in the garage was a great change, didn't know I missed it until I had it. House looked nicer from the outside too. Would always go windows unless on a vacant lot you seldom visit or bad neighborhood. The windows in new ones are double pane and plastic (I think) so shouldn't be too bad for heat loss.
 

bimmer1980

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
2,106
Location
York, PA
I went with OHI R19 insulated doors with windows in the top section. No regrets! I'm very happy with my doors.

Floor heat set at a moderate temp helps keep the heat loss down due to the air stratification... cooler at the higher levels (window level).
 
OP
S

stickshift

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,246
Location
northeastern US
Interesting that even the guys who have or have had windowless garage doors had some other window in the garage. The only windows in my attached garage are those in the garage doors. So if I went windowless, the garage would be pitch black when I step in via the door inside the house.

Sounds like my assumption that you'd be giving up a lot of R-value with windows may be wrong, which makes going with windowed insulated doors an easy call.
 

acer66

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
4,443
Location
Western North Carolina
Sounds like my assumption that you'd be giving up a lot of R-value with windows may be wrong, which makes going with windowed insulated doors an easy call.

Every door/window means giving up R-Value.
How much depends on the window/door but as of now they can not match the R-value of a wall.

If you live in a harsh climate it matters more especially the longer you plan to condition the space and how high your energy costs are.
 

slowtwitch73

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2019
Messages
5,876
Location
Hellgate
I got an Overhead door a few years back with windows across top section. The windows were a total game changer for the garage..will never have windowless doors again. As others have said having one row of windows is a negligible loss of r value (if any) and the benefits are huge for you, and for resale imo.
 

dcg9381

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
12,342
Location
Austin, TX
For guys who have installed insulated doors, did you go with windowed or windowless. If the latter, did you regret that choice?

I suppose installing a motion sensor for the garage lights might alleviate the notion that you're walking into a pitch black garage.


We just ordered insulated garage doors, but they have 5 panel windows. The windows are an architectural feature. The definitely give up some R value.

Note, I'm TX, so my climate is "opposite" - but summer is brutal. The reality is that when and if I HVAC the garage, I can compensate by a little more BTU with the ductless system.

If the space was "livable" - meaning I'm heating/cooling 24/7, I'd take more care about the windows.... But if you're only occasionally heating/cooling that space, I don't think it's a big deal.

I should note that the big garage doors on my shop are 14x14 roll up - their R value is crappy, no windows, but I'd bet big money that they leak a lot more than the 5-panel insulated windows in the garage. We heat/cool the shop too...
 

Bert_

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Messages
9,947
Location
NW Iowa
Air sealing is far more important than any insulation you would gain by going windowless.

My biggest beef is the windows you get on a steel garage door are tiny compared to glass in a wood door, easily a couple inches smaller.
 

BruceMc

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2015
Messages
2,217
Location
Fairbanks, AK
2" insulated door with windows. I seriously doubt I could tell the BTU loss difference if it was windowless.

Yeah, the R-value of insulated garage doors tends to be vastly overrated to begin with, so a few windows really won't degrade the overall insulation value.
 

acer66

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
4,443
Location
Western North Carolina
Air sealing is far more important than any insulation you would gain by going windowless.

Yes, even small gaps can coast you a lot and my shop is a former cow tending stall build who knows when and converted into a garage before I bought it.

At night I would turn all the lights on and walk outside around to find
light shining through and during sunny days I turned the light off inside the windowless shop and did the same thing.

Needless to say I went through a lot of foam cans, caulking etc..

That also keeps the bugs out.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
S

stickshift

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,246
Location
northeastern US
If the space was "livable" - meaning I'm heating/cooling 24/7, I'd take more care about the windows.... But if you're only occasionally heating/cooling that space, I don't think it's a big deal.
I don't intentionally heat or cool it, but it's an attached garage, so it does soak up some of the heat/cold from living space in winter/summer.

Air sealing is far more important than any insulation you would gain by going windowless.
Agreed. It's an attached garage, and with no other windows or exterior entrances or outlets on exterior walls, the only air leaks are via the garage doors.

My biggest beef is the windows you get on a steel garage door are tiny compared to glass in a wood door, easily a couple inches smaller.
Yeah, I noticed all the modern garage doors have tiny windows compared to my old wood garage door windows. But I do like that many have the windows higher up, so you get the light without the prying eyes.
 

dcg9381

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
12,342
Location
Austin, TX
Yeah, I noticed all the modern garage doors have tiny windows compared to my old wood garage door windows. But I do like that many have the windows higher up, so you get the light without the prying eyes.

We did one "high end" door... All aluminum and glass - same model as this. Lots of windows. It's basically the same design as the garage doors you see on bars/restaurants, but it's under 14' of covered deck... We'll see how well it does in Texas.
 

Attachments

  • AV200-Raynor.jpg
    AV200-Raynor.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 16

acer66

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
4,443
Location
Western North Carolina
We did one "high end" door... All aluminum and glass - same model as this. Lots of windows. It's basically the same design as the garage doors you see on bars/restaurants, but it's under 14' of covered deck... We'll see how well it does in Texas.

When I was living in Los Angeles I worked in a few houses that had those in their living rooms.
Was very cool.
 

yeldogt

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
18,184
I'm in the no window camp with roll up -- carriage doors --maybe.

How old are the wood doors? If they are really old wood doors -- they are worth fixing. If the are of the vintage with masonite or cheap ply panels ... they may not be.

I have old wood doors in NYC. Cleaned up they look great(better than any modern) ... getting new tracks is easy.
 
OP
S

stickshift

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,246
Location
northeastern US
I'm in the no window camp with roll up -- carriage doors --maybe.

How old are the wood doors? If they are really old wood doors -- they are worth fixing. If the are of the vintage with masonite or cheap ply panels ... they may not be.

I have old wood doors in NYC. Cleaned up they look great(better than any modern) ... getting new tracks is easy.
Not sure. Maybe 20-25yrs old. Don't think they are old enough to be special.

How do you get new tracks to fit an old door? That would resolve the issue of the door banging around as it goes up and down.
 

oldmxracer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,204
Location
Ohio
Haas insulated door windows second panel down, just like My old wood door, windows not as large but still can see out and who is pulling in the drive.
 

Bert_

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2016
Messages
9,947
Location
NW Iowa
The tracks are pretty standard from what I have seen. Worst case you could do new rollers also
 

Steve W.

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
1,311
Location
Southwest oHIo
Interesting that even the guys who have or have had windowless garage doors had some other window in the garage. The only windows in my attached garage are those in the garage doors. So if I went windowless, the garage would be pitch black when I step in via the door inside the house.
My windows are not just for light, they help ventilate, too. I have awning-type windows that are about 1.5 x 3 feet. Being an awning type, and mounted as high as possible on the 8' wall, I can leave them open any time I'm not running AC or heat. They even stay open during rain storms with no problems.

.
 

DHC-2

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
12
Location
Toronto
Windows. Add frosted film for privacy if needed. Its not a prison. Get windows. The heat loss won't be noticed. The depression will ;)
 

slowtx275

Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
14
Location
paradise, tx
We did one "high end" door... All aluminum and glass - same model as this. Lots of windows. It's basically the same design as the garage doors you see on bars/restaurants, but it's under 14' of covered deck... We'll see how well it does in Texas.

I did the same but my glass is clear and not frosted. Opens to a 20'x20' covered patio. Wasn't too concerned about the insulation aspect being in Texas. It is going to be hot in the summer regardless and our cold snaps aren't brutal. It actually insulates better than we expected honestly. Sure, I might have to run the heater a lil longer on some of the colder days, but a trade I am ok with for the natural light.
 

Attachments

  • Resized_20191021_174210(1) (002).jpg
    Resized_20191021_174210(1) (002).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Resized_20191021_174235(1) (002).jpg
    Resized_20191021_174235(1) (002).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15

D45

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2014
Messages
4,846
Location
NW INDIANA
I have a 3 insulated doors (two front and one back)

They all have windows and allow for some natural light, which is a nice feature

They also add some curb appeal rather than just looking at an all solid garage door
 

aeopav

Active member
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
33
Location
N. Central TX (DFW)
Yes, insulated with windows. I just bought an Amarr Heritage 3000 insulated door. The door is 18' x 8'. I put windows in the section 1st down from the top. I like the light they let in and the ability to see out to the drive while I'm working in there. Like others have said, don't worry about the R value difference. Garage door manufacturers are not held to any kind of industry standard for reporting R value. Take their ratings with a grain of salt.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom