To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Gearwrench 3/8 socket set $104, comes with FREE 1/4" socket set 120xp

To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Clemson13

Well-known member
Joined
May 30, 2015
Messages
426
Are these made in Tiwan or made in China?

I want to buy the set but I dont know about the quality of the gearwrench sockets:headscrat:headscrat
 

LB-1911

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
5,764
Location
Northwestern Il.
Are these made in Tiwan or made in China?
I want to buy the set but I dont know about the quality of the gearwrench sockets:headscrat:headscrat

:dunno:

:see:
previous posts.

Pics of my sets that came in.. Overall very nice.. The 3/8" set comes with their 84 tooth ratchets. For reasons I'll never understand, this is another set that comes with shallow broaching on the deep sockets.. My old craftsman's are not like that, but I think snap on does the same thing.. Kinda defeats the purpose of the "clearance, clearance, clearance" argument- but it is what it is. Ratchets are pretty smooth. I'm sure there are better ratchets to be bought, (not by me) but they are not junk. I still might grease them up though. Socket retention is very good for not having a release button. Case seems decent.. Not great, not bad, somewhere in the middle.. It's def not like a dewalt or Milwaukee hard case, but it serves it purpose and is nice and organized. Makes a good choice to just remove the top and lay the whole thing in a toolbox drawer if that's what you like to do. I wouldn't go dropping off a rooftop but let's be realistic. Nothing shifts around if I close it and shake the set. These sets are Well worth the money IMO. Sockets are nice and heavy. Chrome is nice, not a "show chrome" but good.. The insides of the sockets are finished nicely. A few have some marks inside on the bottom, but nothing horrible.. The SAE sockets have no knurling around the bottoms, the metrics do..

The sae goes from 1/4" to 7/8" on the deeps, and 1/4" to 1" on the shallows (11 and 13 sockets)
The metric goes from 6 to 19 on the deep and the shallows (14 sockets on each)

image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg


image.jpg

1/4" set has the 120xp ratchet. Everything else is basically the same except the metric and sae position in the case is reversed.

Metric goes from 4 to 15, including a 5.5 in both sets (13 sockets each)
SAE goes from 3/16" to 9/16" in both sets (10 sockets each)

If it's not clear, ALL sockets in these kits are 6 point only. And also, for the record, the difference in swing arc between the 84 tooth and 120 tooth ratchets is only 1.3 degrees of arc.. Hardly life changing..

image.jpg


image.jpg
 

Brownsfan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
6,000
Location
Cleveland Ohio
I see a few have asked about the durability of the case. I have the 1/4 set and it survived a fall off the back of a service body Chevy Silverado 2500 going 35ish. One hinge on the left and locking clasp on the right didn't make it. Although it does still work. Still my service van socket set. Oh and it will not stay closed after a fall like that. By some miracle I was able to find all 51 pieces after they flew 50ft in every direction
 

glendale

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
89
Location
sacramento,ca
thanks man! I was working on my 03 f250 yesterday and realized that my metric tools are super limited. this will come in handy! I ordered through coast a few minutes ago. I will keep every one updated on how shipping goes.
 

Clemson13

Well-known member
Joined
May 30, 2015
Messages
426
Ive been looking to complete my 6pt collection in 1/4 and 3/8. I have deep 3/8 M, shallow 3/8 SAE, shallow 1/4 SAE, M/ in 80's craftsman. Sockets have never let me down, like em a lot. However, that set is missing A LOT. Looked to piece the set together with SK or Williams USA and was shocked at how much it costs. This is less than half of filling in just the sockets sets I am missing. Williams Tiwan would have cost more too, and its also Tiwan.

As a plus, I get to replace my RP craftsman 1/4 ratchet. Ive never once had an issue with it, but once I switched to Snap On in 3/8 for ratchets the RP craftsman were a little lack luster. Look forward to trying the 120Xp

Hope the quality is as good as I am hoping for.

Just ordered a set last night $115.47 to my door. Looking forward to these showing up.
 
Last edited:

Clemson13

Well-known member
Joined
May 30, 2015
Messages
426
they did and i did not think to take pictures until i had loaded them in my tool box. if you want any specific pics let me know.

No worries, I just got my tracking number from NTX, says it will be here tomorrow :drool:

If it arrives right, and in that time, I am amazed at how fast there shipping is. Wonder if I will remember to take pictures, probably not. :lol:
 

mrborohachi

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2013
Messages
841
Location
Berdoo Route 66
I love that the 1/4 socket goes to 15mm. The 1/4dr 120xp ratchet is a lifesaver. It's short handle and small head will get you onto the tightest import car situations that i'm sorry a SO 1/4 would not work.
 
OP
K

kctyphoon

Banned
Joined
Jun 9, 2014
Messages
9,102
Location
Jersey/Staten Island
Last edited:

BLUE72CAMARO

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Messages
911
Location
IL
So I finally ordered a set since I know I will be dividing tools up some when I get my shop done between the front and back sheds. Got mine for $87.65 to my door.
 

wttwoa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
126
Location
alabama
i ordered the set in december on typhoons & oldldh recommendation and the set has been great so far. i didnt know about this deal or if they even had it yet so i paid right at $120. the ratchets and sockets are still holding up great and the blow mold cases are holding up just as well. my only complaint which isnt really a defect or anything is that the chrome is easy to get light stuff marks, i was working on a auger that somehow got a rats nest in the muffler and i didnt know it and i got it to crank and it blew it everywhere and some of it got into the case and i didnt notice it. the set rode around in the back of blazer for a couple weeks before i used it again and some of the sockets had scuff marks from the dirt in the bottom of the case. nothing to really complain about since its made to be used but figured it might be a mention. i have the Taiwan coo set and id totally buy it again for the $120 i paid.
 
Last edited:

articsilber323

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
278
Location
maryland
Last edited:

CTyankee

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2013
Messages
3,804
Location
CT
warning i got my jet order today did not include the free 1/4 set

gonna see what jet will do now


edit update jet is sending the 1/4 set for free, they said it is a listing error but they took care of it

Been debating grabbing these. When they said it is a listing error, did they mean the 1/4 set isn't really part of the deal?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

wttwoa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
126
Location
alabama
if anyone gets the set, you might want to check all of the sockets to make sure they are all there and correct. i mainly used the 3/8 set but i just noticed today that instead of having a short 11mm socket in the 1/4" set its just another 10mm socket thats not stamped at all. itll be a slight annoyance not being able to just get gearwrench to send me one and having to take it to fastenal, but its also my fault i didnt even notice until almost 8 months later.
 

Attachments

  • RRbBMYg.jpg
    RRbBMYg.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 161
  • CHgCZm0.jpg
    CHgCZm0.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 156

sgtr275

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2014
Messages
10
itll be a slight annoyance not being able to just get gearwrench to send me one and having to take it to fastenal, but its also my fault i didnt even notice until almost 8 months later.

This happened to me with my 1/2" set. Sent an email and gearwrench sent me a replacement no questions asked.
 

wttwoa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
126
Location
alabama
This happened to me with my 1/2" set. Sent an email and gearwrench sent me a replacement no questions asked.

i sent them and email and they said i either had to send it to them and them do a warranty evaluation and return it that takes 3-4 weeks, or go to my local fastenal that they even said isnt guaranteed to do warranty replacements.
 

HomeTheaterMan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
493
Gearwrench's warranty ***** imo. I like their products for the most part, but it's too much of a hassle to deal with if you need to warranty it. I broke a screwdriver and they required me to send it in on my dime ($5 in shipping for a $12 scredriver) and then after about a month I finally received a replacement. That experience has kept me from buying things from them a few times sense. It's much easier to warranty any of the store brands or truck brands. After that experience I replaced the whole set of screwdrivers with Snap On's and it's one of the best tool purchases I've made.
 

audiojem

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2013
Messages
45
Received my set from jet today and no 1/4 set was included!
I was told that it was an error and no free set was included in their deal even though they advertised a free set!
Quickly returned back to them on their dime.
Don't waste your time buying from them
 

Wasatch Quad

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2010
Messages
189
Location
Utah
Received my set from jet today and no 1/4 set was included!
I was told that it was an error and no free set was included in their deal even though they advertised a free set!
Quickly returned back to them on their dime.
Don't waste your time buying from them
Great!.....
Mine is to arrive the first part of next week.
 

HomeTheaterMan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
493
Again, not the experience I've had.

Have you actually called? When I've had a warranty issue they've gone above and beyond. Pretty much every experience I've read about online has been exactly the same. If they don't warranty it, I suspect something else is going on that you're not telling us.
 

sgtr275

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2014
Messages
10
Have you actually called? When I've had a warranty issue they've gone above and beyond. Pretty much every experience I've read about online has been exactly the same. If they don't warranty it, I suspect something else is going on that you're not telling us.

The story they gave me was that if I bought it off of a truck I had to go to the truck to get warranty. Otherwise, it was assumed that I bought from snapon directly and those tools were subject to a limited warranty (not lifetime) and since I could not provide proof of purchase, that was the end of story. Above and beyond? Not so much.

I'm not here to argue about it. In the same way that the person above received drastically different service from gearwrench that I did for the same situation, snap on did the same to me.

Bottom line for me, if you want the best warranty/service, buy from truck brands from the truck and always have access to the truck for service. Otherwise, they are all about the same in that regard.
 

wttwoa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
126
Location
alabama
cpo outlets also has the deal for $112. http://www.cpooutlets.com/gearwrenc...tn80550f,default,pd.html?start=1&q=gearwrench

i tried to swap the socket out at my local fastenal and they would only swap out the unstamped 10mm for another 10mm so i sent a email saying they wouldnt and i didnt get any reply so i just sent em another email saying id just buy a carlyle 11mm at my local napa so i wouldnt have to pay for shipping and waiting 3-4 weeks to get it back. they look almost the same just branded carlyle, and i have a local place to get replacements.
 
Last edited:

TheWhiteMamba

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
121
Location
The Armpit of California
warning i got my jet order today did not include the free 1/4 set

gonna see what jet will do now


edit update jet is sending the 1/4 set for free, they said it is a listing error but they took care of it

Hey Artic,
How did you go about getting jet to send you out the 1/4" solid? Mine came in yesterday and it wasn't included. Just wondering which route to take that worked.
Thanks!
 

tkg14

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2016
Messages
21
I had the same problem with Jet and just sent them an email. They offered me $20 credit or a return on them. I took the return because I never use Jet and really wanted to try the 120xp ratchet.
 

TheWhiteMamba

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
121
Location
The Armpit of California
Yep I was about to say the same thing. I think I am going to take the $20 credit though. You can either think of it as something being cheaper on a future purchase, or as having received the 3/8" Socket Set for $67 delivered. I chose the latter, and the bosslady said it was a good deal, so I'm in the clear!
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom