To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

glue gun in the shop

mbshop

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2010
Messages
1,539
Location
visalia ca
Do you use a hot glue gun in the shop or other uses ? What do you use and do with it ? Thanks,
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Thumper68

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2013
Messages
5,134
Location
Duluth MN
I have a fairly cheap Arrow brand that takes the big glue sticks.

I have used it for all kinds of stuff from holding a joint until the wood glue sets up to holding wires in a temporary location while getting clips installed.
 

gungatim

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2013
Messages
8,101
Location
west mich
I've got a small one in the auto shop I use occasionally for the same stuff Thumper does, just quickly holding stuff, nothing too permanent. they sell them at the dollar store, and the min-sticks as well so for $2 you can have one for the occasional fix.

I've also got the bigger ones in the wood shop, mainly use for holding things in frames. they don't get used often but every now and then they are nice to have, except when you drip the glue on a finger and burn the **** out of yourself trying to get it off...
 

hangfirew8

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
879
Location
Central Maryland
I have one in one shop; reading this thread, I think I should have one in all three. One use is pulling dents from fenders. Another is any kind of plastic housing that has a crack in it, especially electronics under the car hood, plastic gets brittle after 2-3 decades of use. Anti-vibration anchors for wiring is another use. It can be cut or removed with a heat gun if you need to service it later.

I agree with Thumper68, cheap hot glue for when you may need to take it apart, just use a heat gun (industrial hair drier). While all crafts store glue sticks are marked "high and low heat" they are all low heat. When you get into high heat glue sticks you're on a whole nother level of stick.

3M makes all kinds of glue gun sticks for every material and purpose. I have 2 or 3 types already, including black, which I bought just to hide the fact that I'm using a glue gun. Also craft knives and sharp scissors help clean up the hairs left behind that scream "I just used a glue gun".

Funny thing, just got back from a fair this weekend where one booth had crafts covered with glue gun hairs. Geez its takes a few seconds to trim them off once cooled. Have some pride in your work, huh?
 
Last edited:

mrrooG8

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2015
Messages
218
Location
SW MI
I actually use mine a lot. But i'm always repairing RC planes and kids toys. Always a use for one around me.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

astroracer

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
3,001
Location
Mid_Michigan
I have a couple and they get a lot of use. Especially for upholstery work and light part holding for glue set-ups.
I hot glued this cord to a console side to make a hard edge for batting and for glueing the vinyl to the pattern.
MVC005F-vi.jpg

this is an indent in the upholstery to carry an emblem I made.
MVC012F-vi.jpg

The emblem sits in the pocket very nicely.
MVC003F1-vi.jpg

Mark
 

Lelandwelds

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2017
Messages
2,443
Location
Central Texas
I've got one I use with black glue sticks. I use it on stuff like paralleled capacitors to rigidize or tie them into one unit. It also makes my homebrew projects look like I know what I am doing. I have used it instead of two part potting compounds. It isn't as waterproof but, oh so convenient.

On rare occasion, I use it or superglue for fixturing until I can complete assembly. Some things cant be easily clamped and I dont have three hands. I have used it to "tamper proof" settings on potentiometers. It is easier than the math to use fixed value components.
 

johndeereman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
441
Location
WILL COUNTY IL
I have one in my service truck that i use when doing Solid Surface fabrication/installations.
Also have one in the shop but it isn't used much.
 

cheechi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
4,384
Location
Triad, NC
sometimes a dab of hot glue holds wires in place better than gator clips when soldering.

great for putting wood where you want it before or during glue up stages. Especially for awkward repairs and finishes you can't afford to lose any more than whats already lost.

plastic pieces of tools, cases, etc hot glue is as good as anything else, and often better than 'better glues' because of the volume you can fill with it as it dries. Dropped the circ saw a few weeks ago about a foot, from the top of a pile of junk to the bench, and it broke the plastic end on the motor housing/decorative bits. hot glue working great where I would have had to use tweezers and a magnifier to get the small bits to line up properly. blob of hot glue just grabbed it all.

hot glue is as good as anything for filling voids in all manner of things.
 

unslow1

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
7,885
Location
Illinois
I use mine mostly for interior parts. Some cars you just can't get door panels and dash pieces for.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom