To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Between 265 & 485 SQ/FT Great grandpa's garage rebuild

Workspaces sized between 265 and 485 squarefeet.

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Long time lurker first time poster

A few years ago I bought my family property in Mears, MI (Silver Lake Sand Dunes). The property was originally my great grandparents than my grandparents and now ours. The property was fairly vacant from the late 90's until recently with only one or two visits per year by myself or friends. Since then my now wife and I have been living in Metro Detroit, Kansas City and now Cleveland due to our jobs. Well this year it was finally time to start putting some life back into this place.

I figure I'll start with pictures from when the land was bought, trailer brought in, garage being built and ultimately where we are now and where we're trying to go.

Of course I have a lot of questions and I'm always open to criticism / helpful tips. The garage will become our hangout area moving forward until we can justify building a house or barndiminum of some sort up there.

Basic overview
-2 properties side by side 75' x 150' (Total size 150' x 150')
-Garage original size 21' x 16'
-Trailer with addition built on in the 70's


IMG_0707.JPEGIMG_0713.JPEGIMG_0321.JPEGIMG_0319.JPEGIMG_0320.JPEGIMG_0322.JPEGIMG_0323.JPEGIMG_0418.JPEGIMG_0423.JPEG
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
This summer all of the cleaning and rebuilding started
Garage full to the brim
IMG_0843.JPEG
Fenced in area for wood originally but it became a storage facility for junk
IMG_0845.JPEG
Dumpster arrived and cleanout began
IMG_0849.JPEGIMG_0855.JPEG
Some animals had made residency in the back half of the garage where a tree fell through
IMG_0871.JPEGIMG_0872.JPEGIMG_0875.JPEG
The original wiring was scary in my eyes so we upgraded to a new panel, ran most of the wiring as of today including 220 for a new well pump going in next year, 60 gal compressor and Miller syncrowave 250
IMG_0870.JPEGIMG_0876.JPEGIMG_0857.JPEG
 
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
With the new electrical I wanted to bury the line. I do not like this current main panel sitting outside so I left access to the meter and next year this will get fixed.
IMG_0917.JPEG
With pouring a new slab for the back 8'x16' of the garage we figured why not have some more where nice to work in the front outside of the garage. We were all new with pouring concrete and the truck came in and we figured it out on the fly. I think it turned out pretty good for having the duck crew on it
IMG_0930.JPEGIMG_0932.JPEGIMG_0941.JPEGIMG_0943.JPEG

Since it was the original roof from 1972 the shingles were due for replacement and there was some rot so we replaced the OSB and had to sister 3 rafters again we believe this was the best route. The garage is built on 2x4 24" OC including the rafters. From what I've read on here this is fairly common for older builds. The new back section was built with 2x4 16" for the walls and 2x8 24" rafters
IMG_0945.JPEGIMG_0949.JPEGIMG_0966.JPEGIMG_0970.JPEG
Lit up at night
IMG_0956.JPEG
 
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Building walls for the rear section and enjoying our hardwork! Also all supplies and hauling people around was done with my 2012 jetta sportwagen TDI. Multiple trips and trailer loads full of OSB, 2x4's, scrap, shingles etc etc. Also I don't think I stated it earlier but all of this work was done in 6 days with some good friend.
IMG_0972.JPEGIMG_0975.JPEGIMG_0976.JPEGIMG_0982.JPEGIMG_0986.JPEGIMG_0988.JPEGIMG_0989.JPEGIMG_0990.JPEG
This is the picture from that back section when I arrived that week
IMG_3171.JPEG
This is how it looks right now with my R1 powered single seater and VW Turbo EFI manx style buggy
IMG_0991.JPEG
 
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Next year will include siding, door, windows and insulation (possibly drywall). The back area will be sectioned off and made into storage, air compressor, and general tools/workspace. We also like to play hammerschlagen late into the night and this area is becoming more and more popular so we're moving our big log indoors
 

Uncle murph

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2021
Messages
1,530
Location
Harford county
Building walls for the rear section and enjoying our hardwork! Also all supplies and hauling people around was done with my 2012 jetta sportwagen TDI. Multiple trips and trailer loads full of OSB, 2x4's, scrap, shingles etc etc. Also I don't think I stated it earlier but all of this work was done in 6 days with some good friend.
IMG_0972.JPEGIMG_0975.JPEGIMG_0976.JPEGIMG_0982.JPEGIMG_0986.JPEGIMG_0988.JPEGIMG_0989.JPEGIMG_0990.JPEG
This is the picture from that back section when I arrived that week
IMG_3171.JPEG
This is how it looks right now with my R1 powered single seater and VW Turbo EFI manx style buggy
IMG_0991.JPEG
Looks like fun, I wouldn’t worry to much about the panel,my shop panel has been on a outside wall for 35 yrs without a problem.
 

dwysywd

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2014
Messages
895
Location
SE Michigan - Romeo area
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to “up-north” Michigan! Love to see resto projects. Congrats on a job well done and a great start. Look forward to seeing more. What kind of projects you plan to use the Miller for?
 
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
The miller is mostly used for fab projects on dune buggies, roll cages, random art and exhaust. We've been in the process of moving so it's been a lot less fabrication projects and more home projects as of lately
 

Attachments

  • signal-2023-01-13-085459_003.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-13-085459_003.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 127
  • signal-2023-01-13-085459_004.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-13-085459_004.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 122
  • signal-2023-01-13-085459_005.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-13-085459_005.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 124
  • signal-2023-01-13-085459_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-13-085459_002.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 171
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Another trip up north getting prepped for a new well, finished some electrical, heater installed, new door way and shingled the back half. Slowly but surely it’s getting there.

Plans for this year. Well, finish outside, windows, doors and get it insulated
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2248.jpeg
    IMG_2248.jpeg
    855.9 KB · Views: 137
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
The well is in! new lights in the back half and getting ready for the next week long excursion up there with friends. The next trip will include finishing the outside ie siding, soffits, facia etc. insulating and closing in the walls and attempting to run water to the old trailer that sits on the property. The goal is to do all of this in October some point.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2740.JPG
    IMG_2740.JPG
    739.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    1,012 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0497.JPEG
    IMG_0497.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0496.JPEG
    IMG_0496.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 70474440202__3BE25C9A-B9DE-4590-B80A-1790A684BA9A.JPG
    70474440202__3BE25C9A-B9DE-4590-B80A-1790A684BA9A.JPG
    923 KB · Views: 119

captain14

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
7,138
Location
Near College Park Maryland 20740
That's the goal! Right now I live 6 hours from here so we try to go on long weekends but it doesn't happen to often. I do work remote so that helps when I get a chance to go up without blowing all of my PTO
I’ve been watching a YouTube series on a guy building his cabin on a lake in Michigan I think. He seems to go for several days at a time to accomplish his goals/projects for that time period. He mentioned that at some point In Time he will get to where he can just go and relax and hang out.

He has shown a couple of breaks where he is fishing from the dock or just sitting on the dock with a beverage at the end of the day.

He has built some things in his home garage and installed them upon arrival.
 

thammel

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
2,272
Location
Maryland
I’ve been watching a YouTube series on a guy building his cabin on a lake in Michigan I think. He seems to go for several days at a time to accomplish his goals/projects for that time period. He mentioned that at some point In Time he will get to where he can just go and relax and hang out.

He has shown a couple of breaks where he is fishing from the dock or just sitting on the dock with a beverage at the end of the day.

He has built some things in his home garage and installed them upon arrival.
I'd love to watch this too...what's the name or title?
 
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Another successful week at the property with some friends help. New siding, (Have to finish soffit, fashia and drip rails still but everything is ready for the winter), most of the mini split is installed, garage door (now 9'x7' vs the previous 8'x7'), exterior door, new sheeting on the outside, insulation, stove, sink, hot water heater and even a little bit of drywall. Slowly but surely it's coming together.

Next trip will be wrapping up the outside, finish the little bit of insulation, hang drywall / metal ceiling, build some bunks/storage and start to enjoy it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    942.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    867.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    731.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3373.JPG
    IMG_3373.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 91
OP
A

adamsc21

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2022
Messages
12
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Well I was able to finally spend a week up north this year and decided to do more organizing/cleaning of the property vs solely working on the garage update. This included a lot of power washing, building shelves, scraping, tree trimming, leaf blowing and getting the trailer to a more livable point.

Bonus point while I was there we got some insulation hung in the ceiling and got the mini split functioning
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5818.JPEG
    IMG_5818.JPEG
    832.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5816.JPEG
    IMG_5816.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5805.JPEG
    IMG_5805.JPEG
    796.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5780.JPEG
    IMG_5780.JPEG
    788.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5785.JPEG
    IMG_5785.JPEG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5756.JPEG
    IMG_5756.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5743.JPEG
    IMG_5743.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5747.JPEG
    IMG_5747.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 75183780675__1FCFE200-E296-4269-A03F-C353164CC47B.JPEG
    75183780675__1FCFE200-E296-4269-A03F-C353164CC47B.JPEG
    2 MB · Views: 45
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom