To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Help with Subfloor Hole Size for 3" PVC Toilet Drain

chris87

New member
Joined
Jun 19, 2024
Messages
2
I am planning to install my new bathroom subfloor today. I have a 3" PVC riser for the toilet, and I originally cut a 4 1/4" hole. I had seen 4” - 4 1/4” recommended when I was reading other posts. The flange will fit fine, but I realized that I will have a difficult time getting primer and cement applied. I am wondering if I should have used 4 1/2", but I just want to make sure I don't go too large (which I know is bad). I am going to wait until the tile is in place before gluing the flange, so that it sits on top of the finished floor.

Here is a picture with a dauber for reference. This is a larger dauber, so perhaps with one from the smaller cans, I can make it work. I've also seen that they have brushes, so maybe I could use one in this instance. In hindsight, I wish that I had asked my plumber to use a 4x3 closet elbow, so that he could have stubbed up a 4" riser and I could have used an inside flange.

I appreciate any advice!

IMG-1492.jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

nmk_61802

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
966
Location
Central IL
Do you have the closet flange? If so measure the outside of the hub and add min 1/2-3/4". Your pic looks like you have barely enough room for the hub to fit. I don't work with 3" much, but 3" sch 40 has on OD of 3.5", the hub should be around 4". Jus make sure you are not getting into the flange mounting bolts.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
C

chris87

New member
Joined
Jun 19, 2024
Messages
2
Do you have the closet flange? If so measure the outside of the hub and add min 1/2-3/4". Your pic looks like you have barely enough room for the hub to fit. I don't work with 3" much, but 3" sch 40 has on OD of 3.5", the hub should be around 4". Jus make sure you are not getting into the flange mounting bolts.

Thanks. You are correct…the flange hub is 4”. Like you noticed, it will be a tight fit with what I have. I was nervous about going too large, and I don’t think I was thinking correctly. Something like 4 3/4” would make it a lot easier for sure.
 

The Cobbler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
26,396
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
you can go quite large without boogering anything up. stay inside the circle where the bolts & screw go, you'll be fine.
I usually cut the hole on an outward angle as a lot of the flanges have an obstruction tight to the coupling portion
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom