To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

How to seal an old garage floor

beej

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5
My garage floor is about 50 years old (same age as the house). We track a lot of dirt into the house from the garage and much of it is from the floor itself. It is old and not completely intact (I'm not sure if that is a good description. The floor is not cracked, it is just porous looking).

We were interested in sealing the floor and I wouldn't mind using one of those do-it-yourself garage floor epoxy kits from HD. If I vacuum very thoroughly, power wash, etch and allow to dry, will I get good adhesion? There are very few or no oil stains. I don't want to use the wrong product, and I am looking for a long term solution. I don't want to have to go back to fix this next summer.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Shea

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,872
Location
California
I don't want to use the wrong product, and I am looking for a long term solution.

What do you consider long term? The water based kits from these home improvement centers will last for a few years or so depending on how much use they see. If you want something long term you will want to purchase a better product. A 100% solids epoxy will last much, much, longer. Though it is initially more expensive, it is the much better value for the dollar in the long run over the life of the epoxy.
 
OP
B

beej

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5
Thanks for the reply. I will look for a 100% solids epoxy. The floor doesn't have to look like 'day one' new, but I don't want it peeling up and needing replacement after a few years.

I was equally concerned about the current condition of the floor. I don't believe the cement is bad but 50 years of parking, road salt, dragging furniture (whatever goes on in a garage) have left this unprotected floor a bit worn. Can I expect that power washing and etching will sufficiently prepare the cement?

Thanks again.
 

tomd

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
469
have you thought about a RaceDeck or similar type of flooring over the existing floor?
 
OP
B

beej

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5
No, but I have never heard of that. I will look up RaceDeck. I will be price conscious. Are there any other names I should consider besides RaceDeck?

Thanks for the suggestion.
 

SARG

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
1,007
Location
Northeast
If your floor is like mine where the top smooth surface is breaking down and there's constant dust created ......... I don't believe any coating will bond.

Only option is to cover it or dig it out and start over.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
B

beej

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5
I was afraid of that SARG. I will not be digging it out ;-) RaceDeck looks like an interesting option (thanks, tomd) I also found SwissTrax. A bit pricier than RaceDeck, I think. I'm still open to your ideas. Thanks a bunch.
 

SteveCh

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
1,053
My floor isn't as old as yours, or in as bad a shape, but it had some problems. I spent a long time reading posts here on the forum and looking over websites selling various methods of "fixing" the concrete. Finally, I just went with RaceDeck and did nothing but wash the floor a few times first. You don't need to wash it very well, I just wanted to start out clean under the tiles.

If you are new to the tile idea, RaceDeck offers a really nice discount to members of the forum here. Very nice. And there are other brands, I can't speak for them but I hear good things about them as well.

But with the tiles, I don't track dust/etc. around the house any more, from the garage, I mean. It is also much more pleasant to do things in the garage with the tiles down.
 

jski

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
1
I had kind of the same problem although my place is not as old as yours. I just sealed mine with products from legacy, just used a sealer not an epoxy. I washed the floor several times, used simple green to get any contaminants up, and it looks great. Was easy to put down and not expensive at all.
 
OP
B

beej

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5
This site is AWESOME! Thanks to all.

SteveCh: I'm not a member of this forum, but could be. I did not see how to access the discount from RaceDeck. Does one have to call them to place a discounted order?

Mr. LegacyIndustrial: which product would you recommend for my situation (see above). There are MANY Legacy products and I (mostly) just want to keep the dirt down.

Thanks again.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom