To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Info On Interesting Old Jet Japan Bench Top Drill Press

junktastic

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
89
Never seen one of these before. Was at an estate sale and found it under the kitchen table. When I saw it was a Jet, and made in Japan, I took it up to the front. $45, I was hoping it was going to be more expensive so I could reason not to take yet another piece of equipment home, but my inner tool hoarder and "it's a bargain" voice had to buy it. Still covered in cosmoline. Anyone have any info on these? Link to a manual maybe? I can't find anything on it. The other interesting thing is there are no holes in the table for clamping. Any ideas on how to clamp a vise to the table? Also, the tag has 8000-12000 RPM, but it has a 12000 rpm brushed AC motor, so a speed control is out according to my understanding. There's a switch in the head that shuts off the motor when the spindle is all the way up. Maybe this was special order/purpose made?
IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

nine4gmc

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2012
Messages
14,357
Location
Dallas
It's a high speed drill press, also known as a sensitive drill press for tiny bits and usually lab or tool room, watch makers etc.
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
Not an atypical high speed drill press. Made for precision holes under an 1/8" dia. How big does the chuck open to? Also looking at the switch housing cover plate it may have once had a speed control there. You should be able to control it with a 'Router Speed Control' .

lg
no neat sig line
 
OP
J

junktastic

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
89
I thought it might have had a speed control also, but there is a cut off switch behind the plate. Looks like it was made like that.
IMG_2205.jpg
 
OP
J

junktastic

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
89
Not an atypical high speed drill press. Made for precision holes under an 1/8" dia. How big does the chuck open to? Also looking at the switch housing cover plate it may have once had a speed control there. You should be able to control it with a 'Router Speed Control' .

lg
no neat sig line

Opens to 1/8". Will a router speed control work on an AC brushed motor?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
J

junktastic

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
89
Cool, thanks guys. I think I'm going to use it as a bench top whatever drill, since I do some brass model building.
 

HickoryTree

New member
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
3
Location
Columbia, SC
I picked one of these up recently. The only add I could find for one online was in Popular Mechanics Feb. 1975. Vol.143 no.2. pg.75 -- Under the heading "The latest Products and Developments". Sold by Equipment Importers Inc. Retail price in 1975 -- $370.
 

mrogue

New member
Joined
Aug 11, 2023
Messages
1
I just spent $5 on what I considered a wonderful find. Now what can I do with it? anyone find a parts manual? I know the thread is 6yrs old, but let me know, please
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom