To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Just can't see buying a SnapOn type toolbox...

rsanter

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
18,559
Location
visalia ca
I bought my MAC tech1000 for $700
I paid $2500 for my snap on top and botton with tools in it

keep shopping for the deal

I have a mac top and bottom I will sell for $250 right now and a snap on top box for $250 as well
deals are out there

bob
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

2chipped

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
641
Location
Jesup Ga USA
To the op ,I have spent around 15k on used snappy tools in the past 8 yrs that i can get the same price now or in 10 yrs from now. In 8 yrs how much value will:scared::3gears: your vette lose?
 

shmokinjoe

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
5
Another thing you have to consider is that you can usually buy a SO box for less than advertised list price. My box lists for $10,395 I think but what I actually paid my SO rep was closer to $6000-$6500.
 

padronanniversary

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
1,367
Location
Minesooooooota
not to mention does the vette get a lifetime warranty on items as simple as a bearing LOL

Its all about what you want, and how you want to spend your money. Some people have a vette and a snap on cab. Why hate ?
 

fordbroncodave

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
4,555
i can't be seen with a craftsman box.

paper-bag.jpg
 

slipknot

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
350
how about a walk in tool box ? with 6" thick steel walls made just like a vault at a bank:drool:

hpm_0000_0007_0_img0010.jpg


there
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

SnowBlaZeR2

Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
961
Location
Texas
If you want something nice in your garage, an SO box is a lot easier to afford than a Ferrari.

Can we stop comparing a tool box to a car? A Snap On is a lot easier to afford than a Harvard education too. Should I buy me a nice tool box because I couldn't go to Harvard?
 

canuckian

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
4,103
Location
East coast of Canaaada
I know that the OP ended up getting a higher end used box but I figured I'd give a stab at giving some insight and my opinion on how Snap on (and other truck brand) boxes are worth the money....

I've lived most of my life using what most would consider average tools and I kept them in consumer grade toolboxes. The tools did the job for the most part but I've stripped many a bolt because the wrench or socket didn't fit "right". As for the latest cheaper toolbox, I had it filled to a little more than half its capacity. It has ball bearing slides on the drawers which was nice but they wore noticeably and the latching mechanism on the drawers have failed randomly in the 5 years I've had the box, and that's only using it on weekends and on the occasional week night. I'm now in a financial position to upgrade and treated myself to a KRL722 and am in the process of filling it with pro quality tools. Am I a pro wrencher? nope. I'm a network administrator but most of my hobbies require tools. Will these wrenches make my mortgage payment? nope. Do I think the tools and the box are worth the money i've paid/will pay for them? doesn't matter because I will enjoy them and they'll be passed onto my son when I'm too old and feeble to turn the wrenches but I will guarantee you one thing, the box will still work perfectly and so will the tools. It's all about priorities and what a person can afford. The guy I bought my box from has a triple bank SO box at work with tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools in it but drives what he refers to as a piece of **** car. why? because he's a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic and his priorities are his family and what puts food on his family's table. He's not short on cash but he sees no reason to spend money on the car that simply gets him to work. it's in good running condition so that's all he needs. A quality box is worth it to him because it spends 8-10 hours a day being dragged around the shop with a couple thousand lbs of tools in it and he doesn't have the time to be worrying about if the drawers, welds and casters will hold up, much less time to pick his tools off the floor of the shop because a drawer caved in.
so there you have it, 2 guys that have owned the same box but have different reasons why that box is worth it the money.

As for the corvette discussion that's been going on in the thread, they're by far the best performance bang for the buck. I've driven plenty of them but IMO they're a dime a dozen and don't have the personality of a nice German engineered performance car - in particular the air cooled porches. But again, this is all based on preference and priorities. I must say though, his other car seems like it'd be fun to drive!

again, not to stir up **** or beat a dead horse....just giving my $.02
 

sac-gunslinger

New member
Joined
Oct 30, 2010
Messages
4
I spent years as a professional aircraft mechanic. I worked for a chap in Tennessee one time who had a beautiful Snap-On rollaway and top box, the double-wide variety. I have to admit to having "tool box envy." One day he asked me to get something out of his rollaway so I took the opportunity to enviously peek into each of his drawers..... In each drawer was one small container of some particular tool type, most of them imported.

At that time I was using a Craftsman three drawer tool box sitting on a cart to roll around but it was full of useful tools. I went back to my cart cured of my tool box envy.

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin
 

Toolhorder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
5,711
Location
Montana
I spent years as a professional aircraft mechanic. I worked for a chap in Tennessee one time who had a beautiful Snap-On rollaway and top box, the double-wide variety. I have to admit to having "tool box envy." One day he asked me to get something out of his rollaway so I took the opportunity to enviously peek into each of his drawers..... In each drawer was one small container of some particular tool type, most of them imported.

At that time I was using a Craftsman three drawer tool box sitting on a cart to roll around but it was full of useful tools. I went back to my cart cured of my tool box envy.

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin

If you're in Sac you're welcome to look in mine at my shop. Full of nice american tools mostly SO in my big SO box. :thumbup:
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom