To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Laptop for shop and 4425 picoscope use

2ndGearRubber

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2014
Messages
14,185
Location
Pittsburgh
Looking at picking up 4425 automotive Picoscope in the future. Thus, I need a computer to run it. The ideal specs I have been given are: 4gb Ram, 2ghz min processor speed, ideally dual processor. These would be my minimums, anything above is a bonus. I'm interested in SSD/flash drives, for fast boot up time, and ruggedness compared to a traditional drive. USB 3.0 is a big plus.

The laptop will live at work, so 40F-100F degree temps, dust, etc. I'm also considering picking up a laptop based scanner in the future, like autoenginuity. This would be a supplement to my Autel 906, and old Gen 1 Modis. This is not a for-sure thing, just a factor. I imagine if a computer can run the pico, it can run the scan tool.

These are the links to the scope itself, and some specs:

https://www.aeswave.com/PicoScope-4425-4-Channel-Automotive-Oscilloscope-p9341.html

https://www.aeswave.com/PicoScope-Comparison-30.html#PicoSpecs*25





What are you using in the shop as a laptop? The more I keep price down, the more I can spend on other tools. Are the old Tough-books that are sold as refurbished worth looking at? Anything I am missing in my criteria?


This guy seems to tick all the boxes. $315
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RF1XD36/?tag=atomicindus08-20
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Rabid Badger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
1,338
For use in a shop environment I would be looking at used a Lenovo ThinkPad, HP Elitebook/Probook or a Dell Latitude/XPS. Those specs were midrange 5 years ago; you should have no trouble finding a durable machine that exceeds them.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you swap to a solid state drive if it doesn't already have one. The speed and durability advantages compared to mechanical drives are enormous.
 

visionguru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2017
Messages
1,233
Location
Chicago
^^
This is my garage, yard,... laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T400. It's 10 years old, and tough. Spilled coffee, got rained on, snowed on(to the point that moisture got between the LED panels), 5 times drops (one side of the screen hinge broken), burned 2 keyboards.... The thing still works well. I think even T400 is powerful enough for anything in a garage, including video. A used one can be had for less than $100.

One thing special about ThinkPad is: spare parts are widely available and cheap.

34d47be41bedcc82bc739d51d5167dec.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 34d47be41bedcc82bc739d51d5167dec.jpg
    34d47be41bedcc82bc739d51d5167dec.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
OP
2

2ndGearRubber

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2014
Messages
14,185
Location
Pittsburgh
I like spare parts, can batteries be changed in these as well? Anything to lookout for with a used/refurb computer?
 

Mr_B

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2016
Messages
5,391
Location
Reading
I have couple old HP DV 14" models, add ssd, upgrade cpu if want to a 2.6ghz duo coreand mod the cpu/gpu cooling shims and you got solid laptops easily dismantle and endless parts for pence.
The older thinkpads durable and like the older HP's parts easy get cheap and machine easy strip .
I also use microsoft surface in a tough case, my favourite to use but not strongest option but I not boke one yet thanks to a good case .
Loads of software from diag to service data, pdf data and workshop manuals have loaded up plus good browser for searching tips and parts right while on job super handy .
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

HondaCBMan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2018
Messages
426
Location
Northeast
I with all the guys that said Thinkpad. My oldest one is about 5 years old and running perfectly. Easy to work on too.
 

visionguru

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2017
Messages
1,233
Location
Chicago
I like spare parts, can batteries be changed in these as well? Anything to lookout for with a used/refurb computer?

ThinkPad T series is the standard business laptop, the kind that big business buy/lease for their employees, that's where those "refurbishers" got their laptops.

Yes, batteries, etc. are removable, actually pretty much anything is easy to get to with a #0 phillips screwdriver.

For older computers, besides functioning well/good body/screen, I'd make sure it has LED screen, not LCD, the difference being the LCD light bulbs tend to start yellowing with age, LED lights don't have such problems.
 

Rabid Badger

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
1,338
I like spare parts, can batteries be changed in these as well? Anything to lookout for with a used/refurb computer?

Aftermarket batteries tend to be available for Thinkpads for quite a while. Also, modern laptop batteries (just like modern tool batteries) last longer than they used to.

My used laptop shopping advice:

1) Take a close look at the hinges. Open and close the machine a few times to make sure there isn't any excessive friction.

2) Check out the fan. Make sure it spins smoothly and quietly.

3) Look closely for any signs of liquid damage.

4) If the machine is running Windows 10:

- Right click on the Start icon and double-click Windows PowerShell (Admin). You might need the owner to type in a password to open the admin interface. If so, make sure they give you that password or change it to something you know before you buy.

- In the PowerShell window type (without quotes) "powercfg /batteryreport /output C:\battery.html"

- Go to the root of the C:\ drive and double-click on "battery"

A report showing detailed information on the health of the battery should pop up.
 

Mr_B

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2016
Messages
5,391
Location
Reading
I with all the guys that said Thinkpad. My oldest one is about 5 years old and running perfectly. Easy to work on too.

my hp dv series are both just over 12yrs old .
incredibly well built and the right motherboard version easy and cheap upgrade cpu and ram .
Runs super fast with 2.6ghz duo cpu and ssd, converts to dual hdd easily and has whitelist bios and parts so cheap on ebay it like almost free fix something .
Been super reliable once heat sinks modded, dropped couple times and never had a screen issue, bust a hinge and damaged palm rest but hinge sorted for 5 bucks and I got old stock palm rests for 12bucks shipped on ebay.
cpu upgrades cost less than 20bucks.
quite simply can't get same build quality today or features, lots of buttons and status lights, 52mm expansion slot making easy add serial ports, extra usb ports etc .
I'll be running these for another 5+ yrs for sure .
 

Bobioz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
824
Location
Northern il. (For now)
Have a dell e5400 with dock mounted to a cart with a bigger screen. Stays there most of the time but pops right out if I need to take the scanner or scope on a test drive. Lots of used ones out there.
 

theoldwizard1

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
43,704
Location
SE MI
If you want it to survive heat, dust, dirt and an occasional fall, there is really only one answer and it is EXPENSIVE ! Panasonic Toughbook. Used by many police and fire departments. Commonly used by automotive test/development engineers.

If you are planning on running Windows 10, then 8GB of memory is the absolute minimum. Even with 8GB you will have to delete/turn off a lot of the stupid features that Microsoft installs. Even more stupid things from OEMs like HP.
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom