To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Let's Kick it Old School....Names You Remember Throughout the Years

four.cycle

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
30,057
Location
Tacoma, Washington
Ponchoguy said:
"Quadrajet by Carter" (Produced when Rochester could not keep up with demand)

that one went both ways. we used to pull brand new Carter Q-jets out of the boxes to find they were actually Rochester manufactured, but with the 70XXXXX numbers and the "Rochester" logo buzzed off the side of the main body and a triangular aluminum tag attached to one of the air horn screws with the Carter 4-digit part number stamped on it.
was actually pretty common on some of the oddball part numbers where Rochester was OE.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

joel63

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Messages
1,913
Location
Central FL
Gunk Hydro Seal
Pontiac Wide track
Blue Streak / Standard
Crager
Carter AFB
Carter WCFB
Moon Equipped
Sorensen Ignition Parts
Tap Magic
J-2
Tri Power
Golden Commando
 
Last edited:

NJ Marty

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
1,158
Channel home centers
Bradlees
And getting **** because my parents could only afford to buy me toughskins jeans while all the rich kids had Levis
 

iajonesy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
2,492
Location
Iowa
GM the mark of excellence
When better cars are built Buick will build them
see the USA in your Chevrolet
Rockford 4 lane Drag-O-Way
U.S. 30 Drag Raceway- Drag racing capitol of CHICAGOLAND
WLS in Chicago-Channel 89
VLJ on WIRL


Mike
 

dewalt378g

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Messages
180
Kendall
Fram
Wix
Craftsman "Made in the USA"
Craftsman "Lifetime mechanics tools guarantee"
Bethlehem Steel
Sun Ship
Litton Special Devices
Rickle's home center
Mr. Goodbuy's home center
84 Lumber
Hechinger home center
Eagle 106.1 FM
Bazaar of All Nations (aka. The Bazaar)
I Goldberg Army Navy
White Motor Company
Swanson tv dinners (in aluminum)
 

70Swinger440

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
366
Location
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Sun "Super Tach" tachometers
Casler "Cheater Slicks" and headers
Formula I Super/Stock tires
Firestone Drag 500 racing tires
Conelec electric fuel pumps
Cragar "Super Tricks", the ultimate "must have" drag racing wheel in the '70s.
 

70Swinger440

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
366
Location
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Penney's A F/x High Performance Shop. In the late '60s, J.C. Penney's had a line of wheels, slicks, shifters, tachs, and gauges produced under the A F/x name. They also sold performance parts by Holley, Edelbrock, Mickey Thompson, Schieffer, and Mallory.
 

Smokeshow69

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 7, 2012
Messages
8,427
Location
Pacific Northwest
How 'bout ...

-Goodyear poly glas bias ply tires
- mopar 6 barrel or 6 pack cars depending on which brand
-shackled up muscle cars
- mopar "direct connection" brand performance parts
 

jim keris

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2011
Messages
95
stillson wrench, starting ether,mirror glaze,dwell-tach,wide ovals,tigar paws,ford has a better idea,mechanical secondarys, hurst mysteryshifter, moon equiped ,lakes pipes
 
OP
P

Ponchoguy

Banned
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
3,399
"Schumacher Electric, Mount Prospect IL" (maker of "200" Sears battery chargers)

"Waekon/Hickock"

"Ariens Sno-Thro"

"Your Sears (Craftsman) merchandise takes on added value when you know that Sears stands ready to service what it sells"

"Parts may be ordered through our catalog or through most of our Sears retail stores. Always reference the model number when corresponding regarding parts. If what you need is not available locally, your order will be electronically transmitted to a distribution center"

"Associated Equipment" (former mfgr of Sears "608" prefix battery chargers)

"The Solder Seal Company"

"Liquid Wrench"

"AGS Grease Stick Lock Ease"

"Lubriplate"

"When Relamping is Necessary, Replace with Guide Lamps for Best Performance"

"Stewart Warner Gauges"

"Wider is Better, Ride the Widetrack"

"Mack Power Leash"

"Mack Guard Dog"

"Mack Econodyne"

"Allison Transmission, a Division of General Motors Corporation"

"Wilton Vise Corporation, Schiller Park, IL"

"Moore Drop Forge"

"Easco Hand Tools"

"Lisle Tools"

"Kastar a Division of A&E Tool Company, Racine WI"

"MPSI Automotive Scanners"

"Equus Innova Diagnostic Equipment"

"Starr Hoffman Test Equipment, Lindenhurst NY" (now A&E)

"Vermont American"

"Chapin Sprayer, Batavia NY"
 
Last edited:

def88

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2015
Messages
13
I always remember the old Mopar R/T as not Road and Track but as
"Rapid Transit", I always like that name.....
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

anndel

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
3,271
Location
Hawaii, USA
Calgon - Ancient Chinese Secret
Woolite
Uniroyal Tiger Paw
Norelco (santa on a Norelco shaver head sleigh)
 

Empty Pockets

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2015
Messages
4,942
Location
Rural New York
GM the mark of excellence
When better cars are built Buick will build them
see the USA in your Chevrolet
Rockford 4 lane Drag-O-Way
U.S. 30 Drag Raceway- Drag racing capitol of CHICAGOLAND
WLS in Chicago-Channel 89
VLJ on WIRL


Mike

WL:S- The BIG 89
WCFL- Super CFL
WCFL- The voice of labor
WGN- The Late Wally Phillips
 
OP
P

Ponchoguy

Banned
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
3,399
"DieHard" by Sears
"Interdynamics, Brooklyn NY"
"Proto Los Angeles"
"Klein Tool Company"
"Sears Craftsman SuperTuff Steel"
"Libbey Owens Ford...Division of Pilkington Industries"
"SafeGuard Glass by Chrysler Corporation"
"AP Technoglass"
"McGard Indrustries, Orchard Park NY"
"L.S. Starrett Company"
"Luftkin Division of Apex Tools"
"Waterloo Indutries, Waterloo Iowa"
"Husky, The Toughest Name in Tools"
"Sears Roebuck and Co. Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back"
"If this hand tool fails to give complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store in the United States for repair or replacement."
"Walbro/TI Fuel Systems, Cass City MI"
"Poulan, The Wild Thing"
"Supertech Full Synthetic, By Warren Performance Products, Council Bluffs IA"
"Quaker State Super Blend"
"Exxon Superflo"
"Castrol GTX"
"Cooper Cobra Radial G/T"
 

mv213

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
666
Location
Dallas, OR (the OTHER "Big D")
SUNDAY...........SUNDAY At wailing US 30 dragstrip. See Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney vs Big Daddy Don Garlits. See Don "The Snake" Prudholm take on all comers. SUNDAY...... SUNDAY........at US 30. Where the great ones run.

Also similar screaming radio commercial for Oswego

And don't forget the tagline: "THIRTY TWO FUNNY CARS!"
 
OP
P

Ponchoguy

Banned
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
3,399
"Guardsman by Sears"
"Weatherhandler by Sears"
"Sears Trapper/Double Trapper"
"General Motors Service Parts Operations"

and of course, some of the attached that were on the '80 Trans Am parts car when I got it....
 

Attachments

  • w80_0007.jpg
    w80_0007.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 10
  • w80_0012.jpg
    w80_0012.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 10
  • w80_0010.jpg
    w80_0010.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 12
  • w80_0009.jpg
    w80_0009.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 11
OP
P

Ponchoguy

Banned
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
3,399
That parts car had an edelbrock on it. No No my friend carter or holley for the street or strip. Go big or go home lol.

It was a 1406 model Edelbrock from what I remember. I had this car from 2002-2006. My coworker came to my grandma's funeral in 2002 and said to me, "Hey Poncho, I got something to cheer ya up. You're getting a Trans Am for free." I said, "Come again?". As it turns out, his neighbor got a new Mustang GT and the wife said the TA had to go.

So, I got this '80 TA (originally a Turbo 301 and #15 silver) with a running 400 in it and some NOS parts and good used ones. That car was a goldmine. I saved the good used parts and the NOS ones, flipped the aftermarket stuff on Ebay and then sold the parts car whole.

It was LOUD and violent sounding. It rumbled and shook the ground. I kept it at my grandparent's house. I started it up one afternoon and went inside to get something from my grandpa's basement and I could feel the ground shake. LOL. There is a commercial parking lot behind the property and I took it there and brought it to a stop. I floored the pedal and the lot was clouded with smoke. It could do a hole shot like no one's business. It had Flowmasters that ended at the back seat and straight tube headers. I believe the 400 was worked and the transmission had a shift kit.

I did some backward research on it (the title was in the guy's name before the guy that gave it to me) and I tracked down some of the former owners. "That thing was a beast, but a real POS, a real put together, I thought it died years ago. My neighbor put it together and sold it to me...." was the answer I got.

I sold it to a guy who was supposed to come with a tow truck. He shows up with his wife to follow him. I said, "Where's the tow truck?" He says, "Nah, I'll drive it". I said, "This car hasn't been on the road since 1999, and I don't know anything about it mechanically because I was going to chop it up before you made me an offer".

He backs out of my grandparent's driveway, scrapes the exhaust and I motion for him to go slow. He brings the car out to a stop, pulls a hole shot and proceeds to drop the exhaust in the street, dragging it down the block. I left him a voice mail saying "I hope you got home safely". Never heard back. I ran to the bank and deposited the money like my rear end was on fire. LOL.

Best part? I got this car for nothing!
 
Last edited:

dodge610

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
5,467
Location
North Canton Ohio
It was a 1406 model Edelbrock from what I remember. I had this car from 2002-2006. My coworker came to my grandma's funeral in 2002 and said to me, "Hey Poncho, I got something to cheer ya up. You're getting a Trans Am for free." I said, "Come again?". As it turns out, his neighbor got a new Mustang GT and the wife said the TA had to go.

So, I got this '80 TA (originally a Turbo 301 and #15 silver) with a running 400 in it and some NOS parts and good used ones. That car was a goldmine. I saved the good used parts and the NOS ones, flipped the aftermarket stuff on Ebay and then sold the parts car whole.

It was LOUD and violent sounding. It rumbled and shook the ground. I kept it at my grandparent's house. I started it up one afternoon and went inside to get something from my grandpa's basement and I could feel the ground shake. LOL.

Best part? I got this car for nothing!

Deals just seem to find you I have never been that lucky. It might change but i am not gonna bank on it.:evil:
 
OP
P

Ponchoguy

Banned
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
3,399
Wolfs Head motor oil

"Kendall Racing Oil"
"CAM 2 Racing Oil"
"Quaker State Super Blend"
"Havoline by Texaco"
"STP--The Racer's Edge"
"Craftsman Industrial"
"Craftsman Professional"
"Craftsman Forged USA WF (or PR)"
"Craftsman Vandium"
 

Jerriffic

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
147
Location
Chicago
"Ford has a better idea"
Mr. Goodwrench
Spark-O-Matic


I'll throw in-
"Bounty "The quicker picker-upper"
 
Last edited:

Dragfluid

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
17,989
Location
Pillager, MN
Western Auto Wizard. Had a riding lawn mower from there and my redneck school friends always gave me grief for the name.

Hey, my Dad bought a carry around tool box from them! I still have some of the sockets. It's amusing to pull one out of my box and tell two of the young whipper-snappers that it's older than them put together!
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom