To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Milwaukee M12 Stubby Anvil Rotation Resistance?

kornfeld

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
8
I recently picked up a 3/8" M12 stubby impact. I have a few other impact wrenches, and on all of them, if you hold the head of the anvil that the socket attaches to and rotate it back and forth by hand it will move quite freely (until it hits the internal hammer, of course).

On the stubby I just purchased, though, there is quite a bit of resistance if you rotate it by hand. For those of you that have one of these impacts, would you mind seeing if this is true for you as well? I picked this up off of ebay from Factory Authorized Outlet, and while it's listed as being a new tool, I'm thinking this might possibly be a reconditioned unit that didn't get enough grease or something.

Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

rustbucket5

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2015
Messages
252
does the tool work when you pull the trigger? in both directions? if so, its fine.
 
OP
K

kornfeld

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
8
Ha, it does. It just seems like if the anvil is unnecessarily tight or not lubed correctly it's just decreasing the output of the tool and adding stress to the system.
 

plinker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
4,286
Location
Northern Wi
None of my various electric impacts (1/4,3/8 & 1/2) will spin freely by hand the same way an air impact anvil does. Likely a design factor due to the electric motor, I think these have an anvil brake type feature (which makes sense given they stop when you let off the trigger).

Kind of annoying in a way when you want to spin the socket a quarter turn, but that's the way it is.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
K

kornfeld

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
8
I wouldn't say any of mine spin freely....just that they easily click back and forth...kind of like what's shown for about two seconds at 1:35 in this video:


I may be being overly picky about this; it's just that it feels so much differently than all of the other electric impacts I've ever used.
 

3footpipe

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2016
Messages
76
Location
N.E. Nebraska
I have the mid torque, compact and stubby. The stubby is the newest. The compact is the oldest and most used at this point. The stubby does seem to have a little more resistance than the other two. However, it is only been used for one job so far.The mid torque seems to be somewhere in between.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom