To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

My First Garage: Suburban 3 Car Tandem

Gotcha640

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Messages
948
Location
Houston TX
If you haven't committed to light locations yet, I'd suggest at least one set above the garage door. It looks like you still have space above the lifted door, or you could recess in to the attic. Working at night, or in the rain, or on anything you need the door closed for (paint) you'll hate the dark spot by the door.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
I haven't worked on the Camaro in years. It's currently in primer in storage. I'll get some pics as soon as I get it in the garage.

If you haven't committed to light locations yet, I'd suggest at least one set above the garage door. It looks like you still have space above the lifted door, or you could recess in to the attic. Working at night, or in the rain, or on anything you need the door closed for (paint) you'll hate the dark spot by the door.

I plan to. I just haven't go that far yet. There is more than enough space to fit them without having to recess them. Hoping to have all the boxes and wires run tonight.
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Most of the lights are up. I have a 24" to finish the middle row but I'm still undecided on it. Another option is to put two 48" fixtures perpendicular to rest near the attic door. Also, still undecided if i want to add another 48" between the two in the third bay.


 

Eric Rinard

Active member
Joined
Apr 8, 2015
Messages
30
Location
Schertz, TX
Awesome garage! We are closing on a house in 15 days that that garage is identical to yours, except the door is on the other side of the corner. Door also even opens to the utility room!
Will be posting pics once we close.
Also have plans to update lighting. Current owner was Colonel in the military, so had everything very organized, but never updated the lighting. Will have time before we move in, so also plan to epoxy floor and repaint walls.
 

bnr32jason

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2015
Messages
45
Great looking garage! My wife and I just closed on our house as well, but our garage doesn't have the third car tandem like yours, wish it did though.

I like what you did with the lighting, looks great!
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Excellent lighting. Well done!

Awesome garage!

Great looking garage! My wife and I just closed on our house as well, but our garage doesn't have the third car tandem like yours, wish it did though.

I like what you did with the lighting, looks great!

Thanks! Took a little longer than i wanted but i'm happy with how it came out.

Been going slow lately. Working in the attic so i can get as much as possible out of the garage before epoxy. Bad cell phone pics but i went from this:



to this:



I have 2x12 rafters spaced 16" OC. Because i have wiring going over the rafters, i put down 2x4s & 2x6s (2x6s were 70% off) perpendicular to the rafters 16" OC. I ran out of wood yesterday. Stopping by HD on my way back from work today to finish up the rest. OSB is 23/32" cut into thirds so 32"x48" so i can get them through the attic ladder opening.
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
kinda at a stand still while i commit to what colors i want to do for the epoxy. So i decided to solve a scalding water issue. I have turned up my water heater as to use less hot water and not run out so fast. I only have a 50gal electric.

I've burned myself a few times in the kitchen so i decided to install and under sink tempering valve. Really easy install just had to find the right hoses.




And the tag incase anyone is interested.



I have it set to 110*F and works really well.
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Finally decided to take some time off from work and secure a weekend to get the epoxy done. I'm going to be doing a High Solids from Garage Flooring LLC. Here are some before photos of the garage pretty much cleaned out.

I'll be picking up the grinder early tomorrow morning.







You can see i have a few small pits that i will be filling. These are for the most part smaller than a quarter and 1/8" - 1/4" deep. Most of them are on the elevated sections.






 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
I got about 3hrs of grinding done before the disc wouldn't cut anymore. All surfaces feel the same besides the two raised sections in the back. I got an angle grinder and diamond disc for that. Going to fill some pits and hit everything that needs another pass with the angle grinder.

This is where I'm at.


 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Here are a few quick picture of the finished product. I still have to cut some tape off the door. Today will be 7 days since it was put down. I'm out of town again but will start getting everything back in this weekend.

Few things that stood out for me:
1) get spike shoes. some parts of the epoxy went on a little thicker and i have a few roller marks. Most people won't notice them but i'm a little OCD about things. I feel like i could have evened out the epoxy a little better if i had been able to walk over it again after standing back and noticing a few high spots.
2) flakes and spike shoes. Justin recommended the right amount of flake. I got more than he suggested and ended up not needing it. do the flakes yourself. i had the help of a few friends and they aren't as particular as i am about the even distribution. I'm extremely grateful for their help but if i had been able to walk over it i would have had more time for even distribution after epoxy. instead of epoxy a small section, flake, then repeat.
3) dust shrouds. i made one out of a rubbermaid bin for the large grinder. it didn't help my vacuum **** up everything but it help the dust settle instead of flying up for me to breathe in.
4) i needed 4 vacuum bags. the hand grinder produces A LOT more dust than the clarke.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the outcome and Justin's fast responses to all my emails were extremely helpful. You'll notice that i didn't coat the stem wall. I didn't want to hand grind the vertical portions of the stem wall. They are covered in a cosmetic concrete layer. I do plan on covering them but am waiting to decide how i want to. Might actually trim it out. Most of the walls will be covered with shelving and tool storage.




 

Weekend_warrior

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
320
Location
Hearland (Forney), Tx
Very nice bachelor pad! Sweet garage....

Looks like your in a HOA? Read your rules and regs carefully. This is from my recent HOA.....

No servicing or repairs shall be made to any vehicle within the property, except for emergency repairs as necessary to enable movement of the vehicle to a repair facility. Parking spaces, garages, parking lots and driveways shall be used for vehicle parking purposes.

Nice.... I will be putting 3 bikes in the garage and working on them. I don't do a ton of car or truck work. Mostly small stuff like shocks, brakes, and fluid changes. The bikes can be a bit more involved. They also stated that you shouldn't leave your garage doors up all the time.... IF someone wants to be an *** about it could cause problems. I saw one guy on my block that looks along the same lines as me, so it will likely not be an issue.

I bought a house with a little extra garage for a reason!
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Any updates?

Not much, i'll throw some pics up this weekend. Right now it's in daily use. Been filling it up with tool and gym equipment so it's kinda of a mess.

Very nice bachelor pad! Sweet garage....

Looks like your in a HOA? Read your rules and regs carefully. This is from my recent HOA.....

No servicing or repairs shall be made to any vehicle within the property, except for emergency repairs as necessary to enable movement of the vehicle to a repair facility. Parking spaces, garages, parking lots and driveways shall be used for vehicle parking purposes.

Nice.... I will be putting 3 bikes in the garage and working on them. I don't do a ton of car or truck work. Mostly small stuff like shocks, brakes, and fluid changes. The bikes can be a bit more involved. They also stated that you shouldn't leave your garage doors up all the time.... IF someone wants to be an *** about it could cause problems. I saw one guy on my block that looks along the same lines as me, so it will likely not be an issue.

I bought a house with a little extra garage for a reason!

Yup, im in a HOA. Not a lot of rules though. Pretty much i just can't leave a vehicle in the driveway that isn't running. So far we haven't had any issues with the HOA. We're still building a lot of homes in the neighborhood even though my street is pretty much complete, so i don't leave my garage open unless I'm in it anyways. Too many contractors driving by.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

QwikKotaTx

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
967
Location
Seabrook, TX
Looking good. F those HOA nazis. I worried about it for years then finally built a shed without plans or permits. My neighbor has 11 cars! He is always working on them and some will sit with flat tires for weeks. I can barely get in my driveway. If they come after me I will use him as a human shield!
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Took me a bit longer than i said but here goes:

View from the front.



Here the the shorter left side of the bay. This is normally my oly/crossfit section but since all my weights are going with me i moved the big equipment to the back of the right bay for storage and moved the camaro over here to get the truck in the longer side.



Here is the front of the right. Eventually ill get some racks to hang the ladders. The truck fit in here with a few inches around to spare.


And the back of the right side. Normally the workout gear isn't back here but where the Camaro is.



Here a few new toys i just picked up. Got the Dynasty 200DX about 6 weeks ago and i just picked up this Snap On box today for $460!! The Harbor Freight box is full up and i needed another one for tools. For less than $100 more than the Harbor Freight i think i got a pretty good deal for an almost brand new box.


 
Last edited:

bj383ss

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2011
Messages
3,166
Location
TX
Floor came out nice. And you got some great new toys. I am no 100% certain, but I think I live on the street behind you.

Bret
 

racestatus

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
300
Location
Danbury, CT
very nice! I would love to be able to find a used dynasty but people around here want new prices for a used unit lol
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
very nice! I would love to be able to find a used dynasty but people around here want new prices for a used unit lol

Same here, i got lucky and found a shop that was upgrading to a 350. The tigrunner package is more than most people need so i think that's how i got a good deal on it. Since then i've seen just the 200s w/o the cooler package for more than what i got mine for on craigslist.

Love how the floor came out. Whats the plans for the Camaro?

The camaro is going to be pro-touring this time around. It was my first car and all i cared about was going fast at the time. Now it will have 18s, big brakes, good suspension, air conditioning (most important part), interior and sounds. Really just making it fast but comfortable and fun to drive.
 

Sack87

Active member
Joined
Apr 14, 2016
Messages
35
Location
Perth, Australia
I take it "Big Red" has some influence on your next path with it?

My old man has a 68 SS but he's more of a keep it original motto. Although he did buy a brand new casted 427ci ZL1 block for it.
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
I take it "Big Red" has some influence on your next path with it?

My old man has a 68 SS but he's more of a keep it original motto. Although he did buy a brand new casted 427ci ZL1 block for it.

I like Big Red, but that car is too "race" for me. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Detroit Speed car w/o the budget those normally require. Simple looking with modern technology/drivetrain.
 

ap2002

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
76
I have the same garage floor plan as yours, nice job on the lights.
any updates?
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
I have the same garage floor plan as yours, nice job on the lights.
any updates?

Nope nothing new. I haven't been home and will be pretty busy till 2017. I don't really have much planned for the garage. Just need to install my airlines for the compressor. Then i have a 4-link to install in the Camaro.
 

Bib Overalls

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
3,318
Location
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Intrigued by your avatar. A google photo search returned Special Ops Diving Supervisor Badge. Assume you is or was one. Thank you for keeping this crusty old veteran's *** safe from enemies domestic and foreign.
 
OP
H

HotRod68Camaro

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
201
Location
Central TX
Intrigued by your avatar. A google photo search returned Special Ops Diving Supervisor Badge. Assume you is or was one. Thank you for keeping this crusty old veteran's *** safe from enemies domestic and foreign.

:thumbup:

Well, i've been out of the country for work the last few months. So really no change to the garage. I did just pick up this No. 3 today though.



And here it is next to my 3VS. It's too bad whoever owned it spray painted it black at one point.



I other news, I hope to be moving soon. Keyword there is hope. I just closed on 4.4acres with a .25acre pond and +6' deep creek running trough it.



 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom