To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

My holy grail ratchet - Craftsman Vanadium 1/2

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
A good buddy of mine picked up this ratchet for me since it was in an ad 1000 miles from me but in a town he was close to. This ratchet was tops on my list but I never thought I would find one. Low and behold I spotted it in a tool box for sale on Facebook Marketplace. It was a lucky find for sure. The first pic was in the Facebook ad and the rest are pics my buddy took of the actual ratchet once purchased. I owe him big for his help.
 

Attachments

  • 2D6381A1-736B-4110-BB1C-97AB9D7C6AFF.jpg
    2D6381A1-736B-4110-BB1C-97AB9D7C6AFF.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 789EE541-6732-459A-839C-127C8FD73A3E.jpg
    789EE541-6732-459A-839C-127C8FD73A3E.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 649
  • 530087C1-54A2-4AC2-9F45-DD4CF0523F89.jpg
    530087C1-54A2-4AC2-9F45-DD4CF0523F89.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 563
  • 5D4A9B6C-E717-49AC-9982-A2360CE581A6.jpg
    5D4A9B6C-E717-49AC-9982-A2360CE581A6.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 569
  • 64176B3E-34B6-4BB9-AE7C-1DB6C994CB14.jpg
    64176B3E-34B6-4BB9-AE7C-1DB6C994CB14.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Joco: thanks. I’ve been hunting for one for a while. Really lucked out. Thanks

Jumbo: not sure yet for its still 1000 miles away in my friends possession. I am not sure what purpose the bumps in the ratchet head serve but they are original to the ratchet design.
 

jumbojak

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 21, 2016
Messages
1,377
Location
Surry, VA
The grip on that thing is crazy. I don't think it would be effective but the effort put into tools once upon a time for aesthetics is staggering.
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Jumbo: I concur. Check out the mechanism on the head of the ratchet for changing ratchet direction. Not really the best design but super cool.
 

woody 73

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
11,582
Location
The Great State Up North
I for one would like to ask why is it your Holy grail ?

Is it the Cool Factor ?
Rare Factor?
never seen in the light of day a big foot as some would say ?
You can use it to beat the living daylights out of some scum bag ?
The Grip Master, the grip...Kind of like the plane, the plane!
Never to be taken apart and cleaned in..I hate cleaning tools?
I can impress my neighbors?
My ratchet is bigger then yours?


Why is it your Holy Grail?:dunno::dunno:
 

3baygarage

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2013
Messages
12,159
Location
SW Florida/from Buffalo,NY
Congrats. Pretty sure the mfr is Hinsdale as they had the same ratchet. This one is definitely near the top of my list as well. Sad part is I had my hands on these at least a couple times years ago, but they may have been the Hinsdale version, I don’t remember. If it said Craftsman I probably would have bought it back then.
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Woody: it’s my holy grail ratchet for a few reasons. I grew up with Craftsman tools so I have naturally always gravitated towards them. I love tool collecting as a hobby. As with any hobby, you start it and it takes you many places and as such I have been all over the mid-West and up north (Liberty tool) and everywhere in between searching for cool tools to keep in a collection, use or flip. There are others on this site that have far more knowledge than I regarding Craftsman tools so don’t take my word as gospel but this particular ratchet and the C-98 may never have made a catalog or may not have been part of a set and most certainly had a very limited production run in the early 1930’s. Because of this they are very scarce. As Jumbojac mentioned, the aesthetics of the ratchet are crazy cool to me; from the bumps on the head, to the directional switcher, to the textured handle. To me, this tool has a soulful quality to it. It’ almost 90 years old and I like to think of the people that used it to make a living back in the 30’s and 40’s and that it is still around today and still functions. I love too that it was found in my native state of NH of all places.

3bay: now I am in search of a 3/8 Vanadium set like you’ve got. ::beer::
 
Last edited:

r_olson_06

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
4,175
Location
SD
Any idea who the manufacturer might be??
Hindsdale ran a bubble selector. Tried to get this one 2 years ago but went for over $100.Screenshot_2017-04-07-18-19-17.jpeg

Looking for the following Plomb Pebbles Wrenches 3061, 3070,
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Drives: the box and all the tools were included. The only C-man Vanadium piece was the ratchet. I offered him the rest of the tools for helping me out so hopefully there will be some good ones he can use
 

thehorse13

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2015
Messages
3,494
Location
Jefferson County, WV
I've never come across the Craftsman version of this ratchet and I've had my eye open for years too.

I found the Hinsdale version a few years back though. It reminded me of the Blackhawk free wheeler ratchets so I bought it. I didn't realize how rare they were until I looked on the Flea Bay.

Awesome grab!
 

r_olson_06

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
4,175
Location
SD
I've never come across the Craftsman version of this ratchet and I've had my eye open for years too.

I found the Hinsdale version a few years back though. It reminded me of the Blackhawk free wheeler ratchets so I bought it. I didn't realize how rare they were until I looked on the Flea Bay.

Awesome grab!
You have a Hinsdale version? Please post some pics.

Looking for the following Plomb Pebbles Wrenches 3061, 3070,
 

r_olson_06

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
4,175
Location
SD
Woody: it’s my holy grail ratchet for a few reasons. I grew up with Craftsman tools so I have naturally always gravitated towards them. I love tool collecting as a hobby. As with any hobby, you start it and it takes you many places and as such I have been all over the mid-West and up north (Liberty tool) and everywhere in between searching for cool tools to keep in a collection, use or flip. There are others on this site that have far more knowledge than I regarding Craftsman tools so don’t take my word as gospel but this particular ratchet and the C-98 may never have made a catalog or may not have been. Part of a set and most certainly had a very limited production run in the early 1930’s. Because of this they are very scarce. As Jumbojac mentioned, the aesthetics of the ratchet are crazy cool to me; from the bumps on the head, to the directional switcher, to the textured handle. To me, this tool has a soulful quality to it. It’ almost 90 years old and I like to think of the people that used it to make a living back in the 30’s and 40’s and that it is still around today and still functions. I love too that it was found in my native state of NH of all places.

3bay: now I am in search of a 3/8 Vanadium set like you’ve got. :[emoji481]:
I know there was some debate a few years back on the OEM of the C98 whether it is snap on or Hinsdale. Did anyone ever come to a consensus on it?

Looking for the following Plomb Pebbles Wrenches 3061, 3070,
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

PowderKeg

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
961
Location
Little Rock, AR
Great snag and a really good eye to pick it out of a ad photo! So how does it reverse, press on the raised button and twist the drive stud?
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Thanks PowderKeg. I took a quick look at the ad and initially it looked like a lot of randomness. I took a closer look and seen the distinct handle pattern and was hoping it was the Craftsman variant. My dad always says “luck is where opportunity meets preparation”. The GJ certainly prepared me for I would have never known that ratchet even existed without seeing it first on the good ol’ GJ.

Honestly I am not sure how it reverses direction for I haven’t laid hands on it yet though it does look like you press/pull on the selector knob to switch directions.
 

Gear Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2015
Messages
567
Congrats. Pretty sure the mfr is Hinsdale as they had the same ratchet. This one is definitely near the top of my list as well. Sad part is I had my hands on these at least a couple times years ago, but they may have been the Hinsdale version, I don’t remember. If it said Craftsman I probably would have bought it back then.

Actually, Hinsdale is not the manufacturer.

This is something I will be touching on hopefully in the next several months.
 

Gear Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2015
Messages
567
I know there was some debate a few years back on the OEM of the C98 whether it is snap on or Hinsdale. Did anyone ever come to a consensus on it?

Looking for the following Plomb Pebbles Wrenches 3061, 3070,


Yes, there is. It was absolutely made by Snap On. Of this I have zero doubt at this point.

I will be touching on this in the next several months as well.
 

notlob

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
1,385
Location
norcal
I will be touching on this in the next several months as well.

All that is hidden will be revealed...


tenor.gif


:pimpflash
 

Gear Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2015
Messages
567
Hahaha! That is clever! You'll have to teach me how to upload gifs like that. :thumbup:
 
Last edited:

humber2

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
1,820
Location
Downunder
How would that patterned handle been produced?

Has to have been with a specific set of knurling rollers as broaching can't be staggered stop/start.

Neat tool.
 

r_olson_06

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
4,175
Location
SD
Actually, Hinsdale is not the manufacturer.

This is something I will be touching on hopefully in the next several months.
I still have one more question. If Hinsdale is not the OEM, did the OEM make them for Hinsdale as well?

Looking for the following Plomb Pebbles Wrenches 3061, 3070,
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
Dr. Doom. I cannot wait to see what your research has uncovered. It should make for a good read and hopefully a video! Thank you for your great work with the Craftsman Ratchet history project.
 

snapmom

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
3,545
Location
Florida
The guts of the Snap on L67
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 157
  • L67-5_zpsalofh1cc.jpg
    L67-5_zpsalofh1cc.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 183

twertsy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
6,726
Location
Reedville, VA
I'm not sure I'm understanding the significance of the L67 posts? The mechanism is a push/pull pin on the Cman rat, while the L67 mechanism can only be actuated by twisting and activating the pawls. Help?
 

Private Lugnutz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
31,130
Location
The Authentic Jersey Shore
How would that patterned handle been produced?
Since the knurling is raised, not stamped, I was thinking those asymmetrical ridges on the grip were formed by asymmetrical grooves in the forging die.

I still have one more question. If Hinsdale is not the OEM, did the OEM make them for Hinsdale as well?
Ditto...……...
I would "Ditto" your "Ditto", but I think a declarative is called for more than an interrogative: If Hinsdale is not the OEM, the OEM had to have made them for Hinsdale, too..., because those similarities (ring of rivets, push-button selector nestled in the ring, and the grip) cannot be a coincidence.
 

snapmom

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
3,545
Location
Florida
I do not think the LS67 was ever produced for sale, it is not listed in the 37 supplementary cat. . I think the L67 was the first SO round head, and it was early 40s. Just wanted to show the guts to compare with the Craftsman round head.
 

3baygarage

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2013
Messages
12,159
Location
SW Florida/from Buffalo,NY
I'm not sure I'm understanding the significance of the L67 posts? The mechanism is a push/pull pin on the Cman rat, while the L67 mechanism can only be actuated by twisting and activating the pawls. Help?

Earlier in this thread R Olson mentioned the C-98, which in previous threads members have tried to link to the Snap On L67 and the other patent with a knurled handle.

I have never held a C-98, but just looking at the patent provided by Sselander, I don’t think there is enough to go on.

I would agree with Snapmom that the patent (LS67) was never produced by Snap On. Unless maybe in prototype form.

Snapmom, where do you see that LS67 number for that ratchet btw?
 
OP
C

Craftsman C-series

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
132
So I picked up the Craftsman Vanadium ratchet from my buddy and it is super cool. It is the smoothest ratchet I own, right up there with the Blackhawk freewheeling ratchets which leads me to believe it’s innards are similar. Just like the Blackhawk, you push down on a button and twist and it switches direction. I noticed too that when you push the button on the Craftsman it also pushes the socket off the wrench for the button extends thru the other side of the drive head when depressed. Really cool even though that is not always desired. The spring loaded button and decent spring are solid as new. Just a great piece.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom