To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Need to heat a 10x14 shed

Dave5241909

New member
Joined
Dec 19, 2021
Messages
2
I built a 10x14 shop and need to heat it. I have a ceramic propane heater, but every time i use it I get sick. Im assuming from fumes. I also only have 30 amps of electricity going to the shop. It is uninsulated. is there a way that I can vent out the fumes from my heater, or any other ideas? Thank you. I really want to work in my shop in the winter but its cold. In NE PA
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

loganb

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 29, 2011
Messages
5,778
Location
Omaha, NE
If You're planning on insulating, why wait? Winter is when you will benefit the most from insulating it? Start with the ceiling or roof then do the walls.

There are vented propane heaters that you could use, combined with a larger 100 lb or so propane tank to get better pricing and not swap the 20 lb grill cylinders constantly. If it's decently insulated a small electric heater could help warm it up and once it's at temp you can turn it down and be good to work
 

PoorUB

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
12,075
Location
Fargo, ND
Geez, insulate it and get it over with! I know it is a bit chilly in that part of the country right now, but get bundled up and get to it. After you get it insulated and sealed up a 1500 watt portable heater might keep it warm.

Other than spending a bunch of money for a decent heater you won't need once it is insulated I don't know the answer!

vented heater
 

PugetDude

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
22,959
Location
Superstition Mountains, AZ
10 x 14 shed wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to insulate. I'd definitely go electric if you have 30 amps available. For a moderately insulated building you'll need 1.5 watts per cubic foot- your 10 x 14 foot shed (assume 8' sidewalls) is 1120Ft3 x 1.5= 1680 watts. A 1500 watt heater might do it, but I'd bump up a size for quicker warm times. You have 30 amps, at 220V a 2000 Watt heater will only draw 9 amps, that will leave you with plenty of power to work.

Put in an 2000W electric wall heater, you can run it while you're doing the insulation. Here's one for $115.00, many other options are available for under $200. No way I'd mess with propane for a shed that size.

 

The Cobbler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
26,396
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
whatever heater you use now, will be too large once you're insulated , so, I'm with the others suggesting you insulate now, if you can .
a 1500 watt 120 volt heater will be all you need if you do decent insulation in there and it's not too leaky .
 

ddawg16

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
21,005
Location
S. California
The cost of insulation will be less than the $$ spent on heating it.

Last year I insulated my AL roll up garage door. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Warmer, quieter and a lot less dirt (I do a lot of woodworking)
 

RPhil

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
23
Location
MD
Another option could be to use a diesel fired air heater that a lot of people use for cold weather camping and ice fishing. There are a lot of cheap options on Amazon. I am not personally familiar with the quality of various brands, but I have seen some pretty impressive reviews on other forums I frequent. You could route the supply and exhaust lines as you see fit.
 

Showkey

"MEMBER EMERITUS"
Joined
Aug 9, 2014
Messages
8,638
Location
Wausau WI
If the OP got sick with ceramic propane heater ……..diesel heater might just kill the poor guy.

Diesel and kero heaters really stink🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢
 

ace10

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2017
Messages
1,490
Location
Rural NoVA
Here's the thing...
If you didn't want to insulate prior to winter. And you don't want to insulate now, in Winter. Why would you do later?

The time to do it is before you clutter that small space up with stuff.
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
Here's the thing...
If you didn't want to insulate prior to winter. And you don't want to insulate now, in Winter. Why would you do later?

The time to do it is before you clutter that small space up with stuff.
Maybe the guy doesn't have the money.

Maybe he wants to make stuff instead of still building.

Maybe there will be more winters after this one... I know, crazy.

Maybe we should not be busting his balls about the order he wants to do stuff. These posts are well past just making suggestions
 

u2slow

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2011
Messages
3,656
Location
BC
If you don't have room for big long baseboard, there's the compact wall/fan heaters of about 2000W for about $200.
 

Paco Pena

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
2,474
Location
Vancouver Canada
My shop is about the same size. Walls are insulated but not the ceiling/roof. I find a 1500 watt electric to keep it tolerable in the cold weather. Its really just to heat the area I am working in. As long as my hands are warm enough I'm good.

Paco
 

PoorUB

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
12,075
Location
Fargo, ND
Maybe the guy doesn't have the money.
Insulating will save him money in the long run. Just figure out how to do it and get it over with, or spend more money trying to heat something that can not be effectively heated.

I am not trying to beat the guy up, but nothing else makes any sense. He could spend money on a larger heater, or money on insulation. One keeps on eating money, the other saves money.

Not much more than $100 of fiberglass will insulate it, granted he will need wall board to, but that can wait. Insulate, and get it sealed up.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
Insulating will save him money in the long run. Just figure out how to do it and get it over with, or spend more money trying to heat something that can not be effectively heated.

I am not trying to beat the guy up, but nothing else makes any sense. He could spend money on a larger heater, or money on insulation. One keeps on eating money, the other saves money.

Not much more than $100 of fiberglass will insulate it, granted he will need wall board to, but that can wait. Insulate, and get it sealed up.
But if there is no money up front, it doesn't matter.

Same with time.

You do you. Let's make suggestions and not beat someone up for their decisions when they have no impact on us
 

PoorUB

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
12,075
Location
Fargo, ND
But if there is no money up front, it doesn't matter.

Same with time.

You do you. Let's make suggestions and not beat someone up for their decisions when they have no impact on.
Well, I guess he should just throw more money at the problem instead of insulating it. Even you option costs more money instead of taking care of the problem. He could take some of the money towards the quarts heater and perhaps insulate the ceiling instead of buying more stuff he will not need.
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
Well, I guess he should just throw more money at the problem instead of insulating it. Even you option costs more money instead of taking care of the problem. He could take some of the money towards the quarts heater and perhaps insulate the ceiling instead of buying more stuff he will not need.
Makes perfect sense. Don't buy a $40 heater and get insulation instead. You've solved it
 

ace10

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2017
Messages
1,490
Location
Rural NoVA
Maybe the guy doesn't have the money.

Maybe he wants to make stuff instead of still building.

Maybe there will be more winters after this one... I know, crazy.

Maybe we should not be busting his balls about the order he wants to do stuff. These posts are well past just making suggestions

Because a bigger heater is free. And so is the electricity to run it.

Self-appointed comment regulator, you are. Maybe GJ will make you a mod.
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
Because a bigger heater is free. And so is the electricity to run it.

Self-appointed regulator, you are.
Bigger heater? Huh? My suggestion was a small quartz heater.

An electric bill can be budgeted and spread out. The same can't be said for spending a bunch on insulation and not getting any heater.

I am not regulating anything. I am suggesting that people here take an approach that doesn't including being an *** to the guy
 

ace10

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2017
Messages
1,490
Location
Rural NoVA
Bigger heater? Huh? My suggestion was a small quartz heater.

An electric bill can be budgeted and spread out. The same can't be said for spending a bunch on insulation and not getting any heater.

I am not regulating anything. I am suggesting that people here take an approach that doesn't including being an *** to the guy

Yeah, cuz that quartz heater is gonna totally make a dent in 140 sq ft that's sitting at sub zero ambient.

-------------------

You know, you pulled this same **** with me in another thread about a week ago. Go pound sand, dude. I mean that sincerely.
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
Yeah, cuz that quartz heater is gonna totally make a dent in 140 sq ft that's sitting at sub zero ambient.

-------------------

You know, you pulled this same **** with me in another thread about a week ago. Go pound sand, dude. I mean that sincerely.
The size of the space doesn't matter. Quartz heaters warm stuff, not the air. Point it at you.

Feel free to block me. Click on my name and ignore. Easy enough to move on
 

sparky 1971

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2018
Messages
8,169
Location
Central Iowa
Is it possible to use the propane heater to warm it up while you are still in the house, then shut it down and use an electric heater while you are in the shop? If so, I would also use a quartz heater for now. Space heaters are junk and belong in the local landfill. A 1500 watt baseboard heater should work just fine, and a 2000 watt would be even better, but not until after it's insulated,
 
Last edited:

RPhil

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
23
Location
MD
If the OP got sick with ceramic propane heater ……..diesel heater might just kill the poor guy.

Diesel and kero heaters really stink🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Espar (Airtronic) and Webasto (Air Top) have offerings with vented exhaust and intake. There are cheap knockoffs on Amazon as well with decent reviews (one such example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N63XV4S/?tag=atomicindus08-20). These are typically used in 12V automotive applications, but I have seen them used outside of campers and RV's / vehicles.

I agree the best bet is to insulate and throw in an electric heater.
 

PoorUB

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
12,075
Location
Fargo, ND
I think Dave is another one hit wonder. He posted, then came back the next and took a look and no comment.
 

Terry D

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2015
Messages
2,202
Location
St. Louis, MO.
The OP never stated if he had 30 amps @ 120 volts or 30 amps @ 240 volts. Its hard to recommend a electric heater without knowing that.

These work pretty good , but not as good without insulation

 
Last edited:

PugetDude

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
22,959
Location
Superstition Mountains, AZ
They absolutely do.
OP posted a question.
He received answers grounded in reality.
(Some delivered a bit more harshly than others)
He didn’t receive the affirmation he may have been seeking. But he did receive some solid advice.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom