To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

New old stock Baldor motor

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
I located a supposedly new old stock Baldor motor. 3 hp never installed, connected and still in supposed factory shrink wrap. It is being sold by a Baldor dealer but has not warranty since its been on the shelf for a long time. The guy said the warranty would have been 2years but Baldor will not honor the warranty since it has been sitting around.

It would have to be mailed to me so I can't see it prior to purchase. I'm sure that I would be covered if it was rusty or not in the condition specified. Would you hesitate to get a Baldor motor for ~40% of retail that has sat around for years? Can things go bad from just sitting around unused for many years?

I probably should call Baldor on Tuesday and see what they say about this motor.

Thanks for the help.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
When I was working in industry we stocked a lot of motors as spares. On the larger hp motors there was a spec that the motors be rotated by hand every 3 or 6 months to keep the bearings from pitting and the lube spread around in the bearings. That said I would have no worries buying a motor that you describe.

If you look here you will see the doc from Baldor that has a section on storage and recommissioning. http://www.baldor.com/support/literature_load.asp?ManNumber=MN400

lg
no neat sig line
 

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Just get a guaranty for DOA and go for it. if it doesn't happen to run, the most likely culprit would be the centrifugal starter gizmo being gummed up and being stuck. A little break free, and...
 

A_Pmech

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
8,002
Location
IL
If single-phase, 40% of new isn't bad.

If three-phase it is WAY over priced.

Re-pack the bearings before putting the motor into service.
 
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
If single-phase, 40% of new isn't bad.

If three-phase it is WAY over priced.

Re-pack the bearings before putting the motor into service.

It is indeed a 3 phase. I could offer less. What would be a reasonable offer for for a new old stock 3 hp, 3 phase, 3450 rpm Baldor?

Does anyone have a source for "new" Baldor motors? Thanks
 
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
When I was working in industry we stocked a lot of motors as spares. On the larger hp motors there was a spec that the motors be rotated by hand every 3 or 6 months to keep the bearings from pitting and the lube spread around in the bearings. That said I would have no worries buying a motor that you describe.

If you look here you will see the doc from Baldor that has a section on storage and recommissioning. http://www.baldor.com/support/literature_load.asp?ManNumber=MN400

lg
no neat sig line

I am very certain that has sat somewhere and was not rotated as you mentioned. I asked for a ser# and he said he isn't want to take the factory wrap off,not sure why.

Sounds like it should be good but the price is deemed to be too high. What a good offer so that I can do well on this?
 
Last edited:

A_Pmech

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
8,002
Location
IL
It is indeed a 3 phase. I could offer less. What would be a reasonable offer for for a new old stock 3 hp, 3 phase, 3450 rpm Baldor?

Does anyone have a source for "new" Baldor motors? Thanks

An NOS 3-phase motor from an American manufacturer in perfect condition is worth about 10% to 25% of list price in my experience. I won't pay any more than that. Larger motors command a lower percentage of list price up to a few hundred horsepower.

A 3HP Baldor TEFC base-mount motor will run about ~$500 list price depending on frame and options.
 

Nelson58

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
278
Location
New York, New York
I would offer 25% and see what they say. Odds are they will accept it to get rid of it.

I would love to replace the 3 phase motor in my old grinder, so if I could get a good deal, I would take it.

Nelson
 
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
What is the process to repack the bearings on a Baldor. Ive never been inside a motor so would this be doable for me. What tools would be needed? Thanks
 

A_Pmech

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
8,002
Location
IL
What is the process to repack the bearings on a Baldor. Ive never been inside a motor so would this be doable for me. What tools would be needed? Thanks

If the motor has been sitting on the shelf more than 5-10 years or the motor shaft feels "lumpy" when turned by hand:

Remove one or both end bells and pull the rotor out. Note the location of the wave washers for reassembly. Pull the bearings from the rotor. If they're sealed bearings, replace them. If open bearings, wash the grease out with mineral spirits and work in new grease. Press the bearings back on the rotor shaft and reassemble the end bells.

If the motor shaft does not feel lumpy, run the motor as-is and give it a little shot of grease (if the motor has zerks) after a hundred hours or so.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
If the motor has been sitting on the shelf more than 5-10 years or the motor shaft feels "lumpy" when turned by hand:

Remove one or both end bells and pull the rotor out. Note the location of the wave washers for reassembly. Pull the bearings from the rotor. If they're sealed bearings, replace them. If open bearings, wash the grease out with mineral spirits and work in new grease. Press the bearings back on the rotor shaft and reassemble the end bells.

If the motor shaft does not feel lumpy, run the motor as-is and give it a little shot of grease (if the motor has zerks) after a hundred hours or so.

Thanks for the info. Seems fairly easy.

Seller did say that motor had sat the whole time so no regular shaft rotation was performed. If it can be had for a good price then I'll get it but I'd have to get a vfd also to allow for timely testing.

Thanks again.
 

Travis E.

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
214
Location
Newhall Ca.
To add the what APmech said. When greasing the motor if it has zerk fittings. on the opposite side of where the zerk fittings are there may be a plug that you should remove when greasing the bearings. I put grease in the zerks until fresh grease comes out where the plug was. You do not want grease going into the motor.
 

Gort the giant robot

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
432
Location
Washington State, U.S.A. Planet Earth
At work about two weeks ago we had a 7-1/2 H.P. 3 phase Baldor motor on our parts washer fail after over 34 years of use. We had it rebuilt once about 15 years ago. This time it could not be rebuilt again. We found a replacement motor and pump would cost between $1,900 and $3,800 depending who you bought it from not including shipping. I picked up the same motor and pump new on Craigslist for $200.00 just 25 miles away from us. Hope i scored some brownie points.

Gort
 

Nelson58

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
278
Location
New York, New York
Thanks for the info. Seems fairly easy.

Seller did say that motor had sat the whole time so no regular shaft rotation was performed. If it can be had for a good price then I'll get it but I'd have to get a vfd also to allow for timely testing.

Thanks again.

How do you know the bearings have gone bad- if they make noise?

May have to replace mine- wonder if they are commercially available.


Nelson
 

srmofo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
6,161
Location
SW ohio
There is a nos baldor single phase on dayton craigslist right nowfor $300, the server is down right or I would post a link. Might be a better route to go if you also need to purchase a vfd
 
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
There is a nos baldor single phase on dayton craigslist right nowfor $300, the server is down right or I would post a link. Might be a better route to go if you also need to purchase a vfd

I would be purchasing vfd to have the variable speed capabilities. I cannot find 3 phase motors for 10-25% off. :sad:
 

chris fresh

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
1,519
Location
savannah ga
look on ebay for the baldor surplus guy,i bought my 5hp single phase new from him for 210.00 shipped,and it weighs like 60 pounds.
 

930dreamer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
23,159
Location
Amarillo,TX and Stinnett,TX
Did you find the motor you wanted? I have one 3hp/3phase GE motor. I can replace the bearings and possibly deliver close to Fargo's Pizza in Colorado Springs. Send me a PM.:D
 
OP
P

PT Doc

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
3,197
Did you find the motor you wanted? I have one 3hp/3phase GE motor. I can replace the bearings and possibly deliver close to Fargo's Pizza in Colorado Springs. Send me a PM.:D

Sorry I missed your post. I found a 3 hp Baldor 3phase 1760 rpm super e motor on eay for $225. Simply no many other options were available at that time and motors that have a fairly recent born on date.

Thanks for the offer though.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom