To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

NEW TEKTON RELEASES OCTOBER & DECEMBER 2024

Fedwrench

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
14,981
Location
Valley of the sun
I didn't see a thread on this so, here goes.
Tekton sent out an email listing some new releases coming soon.
In October, Tekton is releasing a line of 3/8 pinless impact swivel sockets. SAE runs 1/4 to 1 inch, Metric 6-24mm
They feature a high vis size marking and a stamped size marking. They're already on Tekton.com

Also coming in October are mini prybars with straight blades. your choice of 5/32 or 1/4 inch stock, 3 inch long blade, nylon handles, measures 6.6 inches long overall.

In December Tekton will release 1/4 impact sockets in shallow & deep lengths, 6 or 12 point. Sizes: 5/32 to 11/16 and 4-17mm. I hope that size range isn't a typo on their email as that's the largest 1/4 drive impacts socket range I've seen. No 1/4 impact swivels yet :sad:

Also in December, Tekton is releasing a 9 inch long wide jaw adjustable wrench with a zinc phosphate coating, a laser engraved scale, and having an integrated 3/8 square drive on the end of the handle as a hang hole.
Always great to see Tekton release new products often. :beer:
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

KomatsuTech

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2018
Messages
130
Location
Pennsylvania
I'm looking forward to the impact swivels in 3/8 drive. I have a Snap-On set that goes to 19mm, I'm definitely going to get the 22 and 24mm as soon as they are for sale.

I like that they are constantly adding things to their line up.
 

KnurledNut

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
8,471
Location
n/a
Tekton is releasing a 9 inch long wide jaw adjustable wrench with a zinc phosphate coating, a laser engraved scale, and having an integrated 3/8 square drive on the end of the handle as a hang hole.

MOB Peddinghaus does that square drive in their adjustable wrench handle. Wonder if they were an influence. I might have to pick up one of these. I like what I see, and the 9” length seems like a good median size.

4lock-ppic_einmaulschluessel_din_3117_b_0-jpg.2129460


54051585980_f11a38c9a0_b.jpg
 

smackey05

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
795
Location
Massachusetts
Sign up on their site for the email marketing? My toolbox is mostly filled with their stuff. I've had a great experience with it.
 

mikey03

Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2024
Messages
2,231
Also in December, Tekton is releasing a 9 inch long wide jaw adjustable wrench with a zinc phosphate coating, a laser engraved scale, and having an integrated 3/8 square drive on the end of the handle as a hang hole.
metric or sae 🤣

I was making a joke and realized the laser engraving scale could go either way or maybe they put both tbh would be cool
 

AJHD

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2020
Messages
3,146
Location
AZ
I wonder what COO will be on these new arrivals.

I would have to imagine Taiwan. I don't think Tekton sources from anywhere else these days (besides their USA line).
 

GeoBruin

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2018
Messages
3,778
Might be a good option to fill in the gaps I need from the Crapsman V series set. Just wish they were 6 point on the fixed end.
Can I ask why? I have the previous gen tekton ratcheting flex box end wrenches which are 6 point. I feel like about half the time, I can't get the wrench on the fastener, and I have to reach down and rotate the ratcheting portion a hand full of degrees then try again. I feel like it would be even worse with a fixed, non-ratcheting head.
 

Steve_P

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
5,255
Can I ask why? I have the previous gen tekton ratcheting flex box end wrenches which are 6 point. I feel like about half the time, I can't get the wrench on the fastener, and I have to reach down and rotate the ratcheting portion a hand full of degrees then try again. I feel like it would be even worse with a fixed, non-ratcheting head.

Agree. The only 6 point wrenches I have are small sizes, well below 12mm or 1/2"; on something like a 5mm, a 6 point wrench really does make a difference vs a 12 as far as not rounding corners when it's tight. But on a 10 or 12mm? No.
But this is GJ. If you said 12 point, someone would say spline. If you said spline, someone would say 6 point. Chrome? No, black oxide.... If it was left up the members here, there'd be 50 choices for a set of ratcheting metric wrenches.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

F-22

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2022
Messages
1,830
on something like a 5mm, a 6 point wrench really does make a difference vs a 12 as far as not rounding corners when it's tight. But on a 10 or 12mm? No.
Depends in what state the fastener is. I think 10mm nuts and bolts are still quite bad, especially if the metal is poor. I work on more vintage stuff, a lot of bikes here in Europe from the 70's still used between 4.6 and 5.8 grades for non essential fasteners and those heads strip off really easily, even the 13mm ones.

Above 13mm it is really hard to strip a head in the applications where I see it, but I can imagine it could happen on suspension parts of a car where they can get really rusty.

I think that if you have a fixed box on one end and a ratcheting one on the other, it makes a lot of sense to have 6 point engagement on the fixed box end. You use that one to break the torque and the ratcheting one to quickly remove it afterwards (or mount it and the fixed 6 point for final torque down).
 

FigN⋅m

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2024
Messages
532
Then just use the older 6pt. ratcheting versions? If you're concerned about breaking a ratcheting wrench
on a crumbed up 10-12mm, time to upgrade the set imo...
 

Hohn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
2,880
Location
Tenderloin Central, Indiana
Can I ask why? I have the previous gen tekton ratcheting flex box end wrenches which are 6 point. I feel like about half the time, I can't get the wrench on the fastener, and I have to reach down and rotate the ratcheting portion a hand full of degrees then try again. I feel like it would be even worse with a fixed, non-ratcheting head.
I have those too and my bigger struggle is getting them OFF. They like to grip firmly and not let go.

Seems like the 6pts are fairly snug fitting, which I feel sheepish complaining about since we tool guys typically complain about the fit being too loose and rounding things off.
 

Callelle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
682
Location
Depew NY
Can I ask why? I have the previous gen tekton ratcheting flex box end wrenches which are 6 point. I feel like about half the time, I can't get the wrench on the fastener, and I have to reach down and rotate the ratcheting portion a hand full of degrees then try again. I feel like it would be even worse with a fixed, non-ratcheting head.
Because I already have the Icon extra long reversible flex heads, since they're spline, 12 point is basically redundant. 6 points also gives less chance for stripping.
 

username2

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2016
Messages
970
I would have to imagine Taiwan. I don't think Tekton sources from anywhere else these days (besides their USA line).
They have an excellent website.

If you search for 'China', you just end up with the mats in the tool chests, and odds and ends in the outlet.
 

IRQVET

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
1,188
Location
Forgotten Coast (FL)
Tekton seems to have been making strides, or at least it's rumored they were, to be slowly moving production back to the United States. Movement however slow in this direction is something I support. But in the meantime, there are way worse places than Taiwan they could move their manufacturing too IMHO.
 

Steve_P

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
5,255
Tekton seems to have been making strides, or at least it's rumored they were, to be slowly moving production back to the United States. Movement however slow in this direction is something I support. But in the meantime, there are way worse places than Taiwan they could move their manufacturing too IMHO.

They haven't really moved anything back from overseas that they were recently making there, but they have expanded their line of USA products- which is a small part of their total offerings. Still, anything is better than nothing.
 

username2

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2016
Messages
970
Tekton seems to have been making strides, or at least it's rumored they were, to be slowly moving production back to the United States. Movement however slow in this direction is something I support. But in the meantime, there are way worse places than Taiwan they could move their manufacturing too IMHO.
I think I'm well disposed towards them, even if the last thing I need is screwdriverssocketswrenches. The website is excellent, prices seem OK, big product line, and they've really nailed various packaging concepts. I think I need to pick up some of their wrench rolls while they're still available in the outlet store.

The master stroke is to sell branded high-end tool chests. That's too funny. If they built a 26" wide stack, I'd go for it.
 

username2

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2016
Messages
970
They haven't really moved anything back from overseas that they were recently making there, but they have expanded their line of USA products- which is a small part of their total offerings. Still, anything is better than nothing.
It would be super interesting to compare largish contract pricing on something like sockets. Assuming there are US suppliers (are there?), I'd love to know what the price differences are and not just guess about all this.

I'm amazed at just how cheap hand tools have gotten. Take a look sometime at a 1960s Sears Craftsman catalog and correct for inflation.
 

IRQVET

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
1,188
Location
Forgotten Coast (FL)
I agree the tool cabinet products were a bit of a head scratcher for me as well. You'd think they'd want to make a tool box of the same quality and general price point as their tool line. At least that gets it into peoples garages. Then you see the prices they were asking and talk about a moment of pause like (WTF over?).
 

mikey03

Well-known member
Joined
May 17, 2024
Messages
2,231
Then you have to buy two. One for tightening metric bolts and loosening SAE, the other for loosening metric bolts and tightening SAE.
They need to make an adjustable wrench where both jaws adjust. Then neither will be stronger than the other and you can tighten or loosen on either jaw. 😂
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom