To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Opinions on my current surface finish (concrete slab prep for coating)

kennkim

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
4
Hi All -

Currently in the middle of a garage remodel and am seeking some expertise/input regarding the suitability of the current level of finish on a concrete floor slab for coating.

The slab is atleast 40 years old and the concrete seems quite hard.

Previous to the grinding I performed, the concrete was coated with atleast two different layers of unknown coating/paint by the previous homeowner/s. This was atleast 20 years ago.

I used a couple different sized angle grinders and diamond cup wheels to grind away the previous coating/s as it was not in good shape.

I am preparing the floor for new coating by me. I definitely would not prefer to use a "clear" coating/sealer and as such I am choosing between using Rust Bullet, SPGX with pigment, or a High Solids 2-part Epoxy.

After grinding the floor feels subjectively quite smooth to the touch, I am wondering if the diamond cup wheels I had used (and the way I used them) produced a finish that is too smooth for the type of coatings I am wanting to use.


Also, over the majority of the slab, the tops of the uppermost layer of aggregate in the concrete ended up getting ground flat during the grinding.

I've tried to compare the concrete to online pictures of various concrete surface profiles but I don't really have the eye for making a confident call on which CSP level it would equal.

I'd appreciate input on whether the current finish would be adequate for coating. I'd prefer to not have to go through the expense/effort/mess of further grinding but would be open to acid etching if it would be a necessary improvement on the current finish.

Example images in varying light shown below. Apologies for the shallow depth of field in the pics.
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
OP
K

kennkim

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
4
undefined.jpg

MBQO3zK.jpg

4P2vENW.jpg

X722yBb.jpg

ehVCRns.jpg

N4cN1tB.jpg

CAmNIb0.jpg
 
OP
K

kennkim

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
4
My apologies GFLLC - had a hiccup during the original post, but hopefully the images are showing now in post # 2 in this thread.

I appreciate your input - definitely will look into your polyurea as well.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

LegacyIndustrial

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Jun 7, 2010
Messages
7,995
Location
deerfield, IL
Can't see your images.
Concentrate less on texture and more on porosity.

A glass of water should turn that floor dark immediately and be readily absorbed.
If this is not the case get that grinder going.
 
OP
K

kennkim

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
4
Pics should work now. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

The concrete does absorb water readily save for a few oil stains that I will be treating specifically.

I also will be filling in the more heavily pockmarked areas with epoxy filler.
 

Attachments

  • 20170420_133235-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133235-1008x567.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170420_133706-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133706-1008x567.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170420_133529-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133529-1008x567.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170420_133524-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133524-1008x567.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170420_133734-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133734-1008x567.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170420_133726-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_133726-1008x567.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170420_134224-1008x567.jpg
    20170420_134224-1008x567.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 20

Garage Flooring

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
5,288
Location
Grand Junction, CO
Pics should work now. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

The concrete does absorb water readily save for a few oil stains that I will be treating specifically.

I also will be filling in the more heavily pockmarked areas with epoxy filler.

Make sure you prime that floor. You have a very open substrate and a primer will help negate and surface anomalies.


There is a reason I mentioned primer and legacy mentioned primer. This is sooooo often overlooked and sooooo important to this project -- and relatively inexpensive
 

Armorpoxy

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
3,735
Location
NJ
This floor is fairly rough and the texture will show through SPGX.. it will perform fine, but be textured. If you want it smoother than use the Armorclad with primer and float it out a bit with the squeegee we supply, but your coverage will fall so you may need more material.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom