To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Plywood and drywall

rosrenw

New member
Joined
Jun 27, 2016
Messages
1
I have a 14.5 X 14 room that I have framed for a woodworking shop. I have framed it with 2X4's 16" OC. I would like to use plywood with dry wall on top of the plywood so I can install cabinets and shelves without worrying about where the studs are. Any recommendation on the thickness of plywood and dry wall I should use? Thanks.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Rock knocker

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
704
1/2 CDX X 1/2 GWB. No real need for fire rated 5/8" Type X GWB unless required by code. Same with plywood or OSB thicker than 1/2"
 

FrankL

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
12
Location
New Jersey
I did a similar project in a larger space. For budget reasons used 1/2" OSB under 1/4" sheetrock. Insulated first. Has worked out fine in NJ climate and the 1/4" was so much easier to handle.
Good luck with your project
 

kbs2244

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
14,065
I see no reason to use drywall in any kind of shop.
It is weak, soaks up dampness, and dents at the slightest impact.
I would go with full wall ply or OSB.

Paint it white before you put it up.
If you put it up un-painted you will start leaning things against it and never get around to painting.
 

Kevin54

MEMBER EMERITUS
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
29,341
Location
Urbana, Ohio
I see no reason to use drywall in any kind of shop.
It is weak, soaks up dampness, and dents at the slightest impact.

I would go with full wall ply or OSB.

Paint it white before you put it up.
If you put it up un-painted you will start leaning things against it and never get around to painting.

:wtf: I've had drywall in my place for 23 years and I don't have any of those problems. But then again, I don't go throwing temper tantrums and throwing **** all over the place. Plus my garage stays dry

For the OP......I would use 1/2" ply covered with 1/2" drywall, if you are going to use drywall. For what it's worth, my house garage is covered the same way. It makes it a breeze to hang anything, anywhere.
 
Last edited:

Falcon67

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
18,371
Location
Merkel, TX
I used 7/16" OSB on my shop walls and can hang anything, anywhere. Shelving supporting a lot of weight is done a little different but most other things can just be hung where ever.
 

FrankL

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
12
Location
New Jersey
I used the sheetrock for aesthetic reasons only. The painted OSB had too much of the particles shiwing through the paint and actually began to delaminate from the paint. Overall OSB is a good choice
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

theoldwizard1

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
43,704
Location
SE MI
Want to hang stuff with minimal concern for where the studs are ? Look up French cleat, and yes, they work for cabinets.
 

Leaflessshadetree

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
7,235
Location
Don't ask.
I wouldn't hang cabinets with screws only into 3/4" plywood. Certainly not thinner plywood or OSB. Some things just need to have the structure.
It isn't that hard to find studs.
 

Cyberbear

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
1,524
Location
California
I agree with the 1/2 " drywall over ply. but make sure you screw the ply to the studs. Plus the ply will make the walls stronger due to the shear factor. Just my two cents.
 

matt_i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
10,843
Location
SE Michigan
Agreed that 1/2" plywood is "barely there" when mounting anything of substance.

Also then you lose the ability to find the studs (or at least would with my finders) when you need them. So it would be excellent to mark them ahead of time on the floor, paint dot maybe?
 

wssix99

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2011
Messages
5,195
Location
Chicago, IL
1/2 CDX X 1/2 GWB. No real need for fire rated 5/8" Type X GWB unless required by code. Same with plywood or OSB thicker than 1/2"

+1. I have an ICF house and this is what we do for all our cabinetry on those walls.

You can also double-layer the drywall below the CDX where you don't need the plywood for hanging. It should save on cost and also provide additional fire resistance. (Just use the plywood in the spaces where you need it.)
 

mmb617

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
4,424
Location
PA
I did a similar project in a larger space. For budget reasons used 1/2" OSB under 1/4" sheetrock. Insulated first. Has worked out fine in NJ climate and the 1/4" was so much easier to handle.
Good luck with your project

I did exactly this when I gutted a couple rooms in our house. Makes it easy to hang whatever where ever. It shouldn't be too hard to keep track of stud locations if you felt you wanted the cabinets mounted into the studs.
 

lakeroadster

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
5,166
Location
Central Colorado
Agreed that 1/2" plywood is "barely there" when mounting anything of substance.

Also then you lose the ability to find the studs (or at least would with my finders) when you need them. So it would be excellent to mark them ahead of time on the floor, paint dot maybe?

Look for the nail heads, the nails you used to attach the plywood to the studs... that's where the studs are, right?

When mounting cabinets, locate the studs. Then screw the cabinets through the plywood/OSB and into the studs.

OP, I would not use drywall in a woodworking shop. It is not durable enough in my experience. Wood for the workshop... just seems logical. Have you consider LP Smartside 4'x8' panels? http://lpcorp.com/products/siding/lp-smartside-trim-siding/

I've used these on my last (2) shops.. works great.
 

Attachments

  • 2PostLift-1.jpg
    2PostLift-1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Falcon67

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
18,371
Location
Merkel, TX
I like my OSB - have bounced 3000 lb race cars off the walls more than once. Try that with drywall LOL.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom