To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Portable jump starter going into the cold season

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
Hey guys. I have a JNC 770R that i use at home, but it's a bit bulky to keep in the car if i need to help somebody. People at my work drive sh** boxes and a lot of them come to me for help if they need to get home and the car is having issues. I'm one of those who can't say no..

Anyways, i used to have a "powerall" portable jump pack but the ONE TIME i really needed it, it didn't work. I didn't strain it when i used it and it was kept charged. Anyways, i won't go back to that brand. The two brands and specifically models i'm interested in are the "NOCO GB 150" https://no.co/gb150 and the "AntiGravity XP-10 HD" https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10-hd/ . Unless you all have other opionions. Specs wise the NOCO looks like the winner and i don't mind spending the money, but i'm skeptical of the "specs" on that one. It sounds like it could run a house...

Help! I don't want to regret the purchase being these units are higher in price. Also, if anybody knows, can you disconnect the battery and drive on one of these units without damaging it as you can with my 70R (short distances of course like road to driveway, etc).
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

FigureItOut

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2015
Messages
3,267
Location
Bentonville AR
Anti-gravity are supposed to be the best of the lithium jump starters. Noco is a little cheaper and good, but AG has been the top dog for a while. I carry a full size jump box in my vehicles, but if I was going to get a lithium pack I'd be inclined to get the bigger Clore one. Clore makes JNC, and as you know, they are THE name in jump starters. Listed specs are weaker than those of their competitors, and I suspect that is because the testing methods are more honest and not rated in WLS units.

I also noticed that Clore came out with their lithium pack long after everyone else did. I like to think that's because it took them some time to either engineer or procure a quality product, rather than just jumping to market with the most profitable option. My experience with Clore products leads me to believe that's the case. In any case, their packs are cheaper than the AG, but not dirt cheap like a lot of the white label garbage you see for sale everywhere. They're definitely worth a spot on your list for consideration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The Garage Journal mobile app
 

Jazz1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
4,198
Location
Thunder Bay On.
Hey guys. I have a JNC 770R that i use at home, but it's a bit bulky to keep in the car if i need to help somebody. People at my work drive sh** boxes and a lot of them come to me for help if they need to get home and the car is having issues. I'm one of those who can't say no..

Anyways, i used to have a "powerall" portable jump pack but the ONE TIME i really needed it, it didn't work. I didn't strain it when i used it and it was kept charged. Anyways, i won't go back to that brand. The two brands and specifically models i'm interested in are the "NOCO GB 150" https://no.co/gb150 and the "AntiGravity XP-10 HD" https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10-hd/ . Unless you all have other opionions. Specs wise the NOCO looks like the winner and i don't mind spending the money, but i'm skeptical of the "specs" on that one. It sounds like it could run a house...

Help! I don't want to regret the purchase being these units are higher in price. Also, if anybody knows, can you disconnect the battery and drive on one of these units without damaging it as you can with my 70R (short distances of course like road to driveway, etc).


I have a GB40 that I used once to start and drive a vehicle a few miles. I have had the unit a few years but would buy the larger GB70 if I were going to be boosting V8's. Use it weekly on my old tractors. I had not seen the GB150,,that's a nice unit, getting spendy.
 

pbon

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
3,498
I have the Clore JNC 318 lithium jump starter. It was about $100. Less reports of it cracking than some of the other small lithium packs.
 

xlowxyotax88x

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2015
Messages
210
I got a GB70 a few monthes ago and love it, I've used it quite a few times and have had no issues, I'm an auto tech so it will get it's use
 

theoldwizard1

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
43,704
Location
SE MI
There a **** load of brands out there ! Look closely at the clamps. Are they big enough to fit on a battery properly ? How securely is the wire attached to each clamp ? How securely is the wire attached to the battery pack itself ?

The "no name brand" booster are much more likely to cut corners that could cause a serious issue (fire). The "name brand" ones (NOCO) are not going to cheap out becuase they know if there is a safety issue, they will get sued and lose everything !
 

Zewnten

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 11, 2017
Messages
1,888
i have a duracell branded one and it's been great, starts a v10 in 70 deg day and a 4.0 v6 with an absolutely dead battery in 0 deg weather with no problems
 

ecally

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2011
Messages
82
I keep the JNC300 in my vehicle. Much more compact than the larger packs like the 660, but works very well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

mike93lx

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
38,398
Location
Richmond, VA
What's wrong with good old fashioned booster cables, made from AWG 000 welding cable , and good quality hardened copper clamps?

They require a second vehicle and often someone to Rev it while you start. Plus your 3/0 cables are heavy, expensive and take up a ton of space.
 

byacey

Active member
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
30
Location
Alberta, Canada
They require a second vehicle and often someone to Rev it while you start. Plus your 3/0 cables are heavy, expensive and take up a ton of space.
Yes, but you can crank a diesel engine that draws 1000A +.

If you're starting a Honda or Toyota sewing machine motor, the battery pack will probably work.
 
Last edited:
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
Also, the clore is 700 peak, 330 cranking. The noco is 2000 I'm assuming peak, so maybe 550 cranking?
 

L.Cheapo

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
6,218
I've had the GB-150 for 2 years now. It lives under the seat of my truck. Hot weather, cold weather, doesn't matter. Every 6 months I bring it inside to charge it. I've used it three times: once on a Camry in single digit weather, once on a Liberty in the same, and once on a Ranger this past summer. The winter uses were during a week long cold spell of single digit *F temps, where the tool was cold soaked the entire time.

I got it nearly free, between some gift cards and a flash sale on Amazon. I'd pay for the next one if this one died.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
So I think I've brought it down to the noco gb70 or the clore es580. Any final opinions?
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
I personally own a Nissan altima, but the vast majority of vehicles I'll be dealing with have V8 engines, the largest being a 6.0, smallest a 4.6. My car has a 2.5 in it. I think the gb40 would be too underpowered. Would the gb70 be a better choice than the clore I mentioned?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

byacey

Active member
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
30
Location
Alberta, Canada
Super useful to the vast majority of people out there. :rolleyes:
I guess things are a little different in our locale. When it's -30F and a truck that has been sitting for a couple weeks in that temperature has dead battery, I don't think a little booster pack is going to do much.

The glow plugs current draw alone will probably discharge the battery pack even before the engine gets cranked.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
Anybody have any experience with this one? https://www.allstartboost.com/product/boost-max/

I want to want the noco purely for the specs they provide and because of good reviews but the clore one interests me because of the heat feature & their reputation. Now the all start one I've read is one that Marco rebrands, not that that makes a difference for me.

Clore is 330 cranking amp/700 max. Noco gb70 says its 2000amp (I'm assuming max, no clue how to figure cranking) & the allstart is 450 cranking/900 max. I'd guess noco is 500 cranking? But I only really have experience with big boost packs working in shops. I like my 770r, just too bulky to keep in car & the only one my household has if I'm not home. Charging cell phones & such isn't a big deal to me. I want to get an inverter for the 770r but I also have a power bank. I just don't have the money to regret a purchase lol.
 

Radio Flyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
1,712
Location
Suburban Chicago
Maybe look into a capacitor style jumper. It has no battery, not effected by hot/cold, and doesn't have to be plugged in.

Perfect for leaving in the car. Once it has been used, leave it connected, and it will recharge itself. Recharges in about a minute.

The only downside is that it really can't be used as a 12 volt power supply to charge phones and such.
 

pbon

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
3,498
The JNC 318 is a 72 watt hour battery. The Noco GB70 is a 56 watt hour battery. It’s not likely to outdo the JNC despite the claims about cranking amps. I think the GB70 is good — if I was buying Noco, I would get that one or the GB150.

The JNC318 has a preheat feature to get more out of it in very cold temps. Maybe the Noco does as well. The Noco has the most bells and whistles. The JNC is basic in comparison.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
The JNC 318 is a 72 watt hour battery. The Noco GB70 is a 56 watt hour battery. It’s not likely to outdo the JNC despite the claims about cranking amps. I think the GB70 is good — if I was buying Noco, I would get that one or the GB150.

The JNC318 has a preheat feature to get more out of it in very cold temps. Maybe the Noco does as well. The Noco has the most bells and whistles. The JNC is basic in comparison.
What are you trying to communicate? Lol. I mean I understand what you're saying, I don't need the bells & whistles really but I want a good spec jump pack. I may only need 4 starts out of a charge but I do see bigger trucks as a potential. My household mostly has v8's, besides my altima. I just want something reliable that'll start up to that 6.0 gas if its dead.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
I read this review on Amazon. If his math is correct, the gb70 will put out 436.11 CCA.

A: I was a little annoyed by the Joules instead of cranking amps in the description as well. They already give you the peak amps in the item description, so I won't waste time on that. To get to the cranking amps, you have to do some math.
Energy = Voltage * Current * time (this is just basic physics). These are 12 volt jump starters, and the joules are measured over 3 seconds. To arrive at cranking amps, take the Joules for your particular model, and divide by 36 (because 12*3=36=voltage*time). So, for example, GB40 corresponds to 7035 Joules over 3 seconds. 7035/36= 195.4 cranking amps.

[https://www]

Sho

· 3 years ago
 

pbon

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
3,498
What are you trying to communicate? Lol. I mean I understand what you're saying, I don't need the bells & whistles really but I want a good spec jump pack. I may only need 4 starts out of a charge but I do see bigger trucks as a potential. My household mostly has v8's, besides my altima. I just want something reliable that'll start up to that 6.0 gas if its dead.

I am saying the Noco GB70 is a good jump starter but it’s twice the price and probably no more capable at jump starting than the JNC318 and maybe not even as capable. $97 shipped. Maybe during Black Friday the Noco gb70 will be heavily discounted — there have been good sales before, but it still won’t be as cheap as the jnc318, which I have never seen discounted much.

https://www.tooltopia.com/solar-jnc...aign=Browse+Abandonment&utm_content=Message+1
 
Last edited:
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
I am saying the Noco GB70 is a good jump starter but it’s twice the price and probably no more capable at jump starting than the JNC318 and maybe not even as capable. $97 shipped. Maybe during Black Friday the Noco gb70 will be heavily discounted — there have been good sales before, but it still won’t be as cheap as the jnc318, which I have never seen discounted much.

https://www.tooltopia.com/solar-jnc...aign=Browse+Abandonment&utm_content=Message+1
What makes you say no more capable (only asking for informative reasons, not arguing). If the math is correct, the gb70 has 100 more amp's to start that vehicle than the clore. I don't want to be out with a unit I "think" will do the job, get there and then need my 770r, but I also don't want to spend $100 more for a unit that is the same as a less expensive but just as capable unit. This is always my dilemma with electronics lol.
 

Tallpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2017
Messages
2,384
Location
Orlando
I guess things are a little different in our locale. When it's -30F and a truck that has been sitting for a couple weeks in that temperature has dead battery, I don't think a little booster pack is going to do much.

The glow plugs current draw alone will probably discharge the battery pack even before the engine gets cranked.

I carry a JNC660. I'm in Florida so I'm not worried about Sub-Zero temperatures but I am worried about hooking my truck's electrical system to some stranger's shitbox. The jump pack allows me to be a good Samaritan with less risk.

I think the Lithium stuff is getting much better but I'm happy with the old school tried and true and there is plenty of room in my truck bed for gear.
 

byacey

Active member
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
30
Location
Alberta, Canada
I carry a JNC660. I'm in Florida so I'm not worried about Sub-Zero temperatures but I am worried about hooking my truck's electrical system to some stranger's shitbox. The jump pack allows me to be a good Samaritan with less risk.

I think the Lithium stuff is getting much better but I'm happy with the old school tried and true and there is plenty of room in my truck bed for gear.
One of the biggest problems with the old jumper packs is that they used gel cel lead acid batteries, which are OK for light duty use, until left discharged in subzero weather. Once they freeze, the internal plates warp and the cells require replacement.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
How pumped up could companies make their ratings? If one says 500cca, could it realistically be 300? I don't know much about testing this or these little lithium packs.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
Clore told me that lithium batteries can't do "cranking amps" due to what they are. They also said that their unit can't override so if there isn't enough voltage in the battery it won't work.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
I ordered the clore unit. It's $80 with shipping. If it doesn't work for me I'll pass it on to the next person and try another.
 
OP
S

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,273
Well, I got the unit. Very nice build quality. Small too. Have to charge it for a few hours. Nice clamps too.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom